Movies Better Actor: Sylvester Stallone or Bruce Willis?

Better actor

• Total voters
thats actually a pretty good question and comparison.

Stallone is not exactly known for being a great actor but Rocky is one of the most iconic movies/characters ever.
Willis has had over all more movies that ive probably gone back and watched but I dont htink anything as iconic as rocky or even Rambo.
Someone mentioned 12 monkeys and I forgot about that even.

mmmm

Just cause of Rocky I gotta go with Stallone

Stallone surely has to be the most maligned actor with two Oscar nominations for acting.

Many forget, Willis started as a "funny man" and seemed miscast when he landed the Die Hard role. Obviously that ended up working out well for him. Much better than Sly starting with tough guy roles and taking on comedic roles later (Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot!) I think the first Rocky movie is the best from either filmography, but Willis has done a better acting job overall with his entire body of work.

Moonlighting was an underrated show..

It was a great show and people who are used to lazy grumpy old Bruce Willis would have a hard time believing how charming he was on it.

I put him in the Tom Hanks class,

Same thing...started off as comedians but ended up doing movies, well one action the other action/drama/historical..

Most people now days have no idea Tom Hanks had a funny bone .. they only know him as a serious WWII buff or Illuminati Religious Guy

I put him in the Tom Hanks class,

Same thing...started off as comedians but ended up doing movies, well one action the other action/drama/historical..

Most people now days have no idea Tom Hanks had a funny bone .. they only know him as a serious WWII buff or Illuminati Religious Guy

Yeah Michael Keaton and Tom Hanks started out around the same way and ended up somewhere similar too.

A number of decent actors started out in stand up...John Leguizamo, Rick Aviles, etc. Never mind the well known ones like Robin Williams and Adam Sandler.

Stallone (while I like him) has just been grunting in sequels for nearly 50 years. Lol

Yeah Michael Keaton and Tom Hanks started out around the same way and ended up somewhere similar too.

A number of decent actors started out in stand up...John Leguizamo, Rick Aviles, etc. Never mind the well known ones like Robin Williams and Adam Sandler.

Bro it was the 80s/90s, Comedians paradise, hottest show in town...

Move to the 00's/20's, what musicians haven't we used in a movie/tv show?

Bro it was the 80s/90s, Comedians paradise, hottest show in town...

Move to the 00's/20's, what musicians haven't we used in a movie/tv show?

Well, Miami Vice alone was a who's who of musicians on screen. Leonard Cohen, Frank Zappa, Duran Duran, Miles Davis, Phil Collins, Glenn Frey, Gene Simmons and many, many others.

The 80s tried to make legitimate big screen movie starts out of both Phil Collins and Sting. And Jon Bon Jovi in the 90s. And succeeded with Cher. The 90s also saw every rapper try his hand at acting...Tupac, Kool Moe Dee, Heavy D, etc. And Janet Jackson and Whitney Houston... And Mariah Carey eventually.

Huey Lewis in Duets.

I'm forgetting at least 10 people from Miami Vice alone.

Stallone surely has to be the most maligned actor with two Oscar nominations for acting.

For sure. I really think he should have won for Creed. As good as Rylance was (and he’s a great actor), that should have been Sly’s year in my opinion.

As far as the question goes though, Willis definitely has more range in my opinion. His recent film choices are pretty grim, but looking at his work years ago, he was doing nuanced stuff with a variety of different characters.

I thought he was excellent as the wise-cracking, heroic McClane. But he was also great in more stoic, somber roles in Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. He can pull off comedy quite well. He was very good in Pulp Fiction is another sort of Everyman role but with a volatile element.

Stallone is reasonably solid or good in a variety of movies but I feel his great performances are pretty limited to Balboa and Copland.

Well, Miami Vice alone was a who's who of musicians on screen. Leonard Cohen, Frank Zappa, Duran Duran, Miles Davis, Phil Collins, Glenn Frey, Gene Simmons and many, many others.

The 80s tried to make legitimate big screen movie starts out of both Phil Collins and Sting. And Jon Bon Jovi in the 90s. And succeeded with Cher. The 90s also saw every rapper try his hand at acting...Tupac, Kool Moe Dee, Heavy D, etc. And Janet Jackson and Whitney Houston... And Mariah Carey eventually.

Huey Lewis in Duets.

Tupac struck me as being legitimately good. He and Tim Roth in Gridlock’d were really solid.

Huey Lewis in Duets.

Don't care what anyone says, Cher won on almost all levels

I would say that in addition to the two Oscar nominations actually received, one could argue that he was overlooked for First Blood, Cop Land and even Rocky 2.

Yeah good call. Cop Land was sort of overlooked in general. Deserved to be a way bigger movie given the cast and the quality in my opinion. Really enjoy that one.

Tupac struck me as being legitimately good. He and Tim Roth in Gridlock’d were really solid.

Tupac was a more than competent actor. In fact rappers and musicians as a whole tend to fare quite well on screen. There is much, much more overlap with their skill set than with athletes, and especially fighters where it is literally their day job to instinctively not show stuff like pain in the ring or cage.

Willis is probably the better actor but I prefer Stallone's movies.

this movie tips it to Stallone for me.

movieposter.jpg

this movie tips it to Stallone for me.

movieposter.jpg

A much underrated movie. It's one of those early 80s movies that is still spiritually part of the 70s like Cruising with Pacino and Outland with Sean Connery.

Back