Beto Says It Is ‘No Longer Sufficient Not To Be Racist.’

It’s not complicated. It just means that you are opposed to something, not only choosing not to take part. It’s a huge difference in attitude, and attitudes effect culture.

Would you hang out with a bunch of racists without acknowledging that they hold immoral views? If so, you are probably not anti-racism. That seems to be a portion of the war room. They say they are not racists, but they never seem to have any issue with racism. Maybe they are just cowards? I’m not sure. Probably both.

Just replace "racism" with something else you oppose. Are you anti-Pedophilia, or just not into it personally? I don't think this is a difficult statement to understand.

I think the internet community attracts a lot of our country's angriest young men, and that's why a pretty normal statement like this from Beto draws out such hateful comments. But I'd expect at least a few people to take a step back and realize that people sound a bit insane here calling him an evil fascist, racist beta with a unfaithful wife. Lol. Do you ever wonder who is hiding behind these computers?

That’s not what happened. @LogicalInsanity and @Cubo de Sangre probably know that already, but I think they are liking your post to virtue signal. It doesn’t really matter if what you say is true, they just like the way it feels. Is that how it works?

I also think the internet attracts a lot of lonely, Underachieving, socially awkward, dying to belong, perpetually outraged individuals as well, who feel better about themselves by lecturing others on morality and racism. (Not saying this is you)

Fact is, Beto has no moral high ground here or credibility on the matter. I will not be judged or lectured by people like him.

Is he being kept in to irreparably damage the Democrat party at this point?

You are floundering in this thread. To you, there's a simple issue with which everyone can agree and righties are being stubborn because they dislike Beto. So you say they are insane while assiduously ignoring or dismissing the concerns they have articulated.

1. You haven't defined racism that I've seen. If I missed it, please direct me to your comments. Racism is defined in multiple, increasingly incompatible ways and there seems to be a growing divide in how conservatives and progressives like Beto define the term.
2. I don't think Beto is a fascist, but people who traffic in ideas about using government force to disarm the American public in disregard of their civil rights are going to be called evil and fascist. There is nothing surprising or insane about this.
3. You have not grappled with the reality that racism is very often a topic that lefties use politically in an entirely cynical way to gain leverage on their conservative opponents. It is not insane in the slightest for conservatives to respond skeptically to a politician of Beto's ilk saying that our views toward racism are insufficient. Conservatives hear Beto's comments and reasonably wonder 'what hoops do we need to jump through now to prove to this progressive darling that we have approved attitudes toward race'?
4. I don't think you fully grasp what people mean by virtue signalling or why it is objectionable.

Hehehe no wonder the goof troop hates this lady so much

I'm not surprised. But being unsurprised by extreme political attacks does not mean that I accept it. I suppose we disagree there.
1. I agree with you that parsing what Beto says about racism is more constructive in terms of a conversation about racism than attacking him or his wife. I'd go a step further and add that I don't see any context here that justifies attacking his wife. However, I have no problem at all with someone dismissing Beto's remarks as unserious or insidious given the context of his current campaign.
2. I think one thing you aren't taking into account here is that Beto is an extremist. His apparently anodyne comments on race aren't happening in a vacuum, but in the context of saying batshit crazy and dangerous shit over the past few weeks. It is unsurprising that people react negatively toward him. He seems to be intentionally polarizing. We aren't having a conversation about what is wrong with racism, but about Beto and what is wrong with him.

3. The point of course remains that no one has defined what Beto is talking about. Considering the growing ambiguity of terms like 'racism' I think a lot of the reactions to Beto are far more sensible than you are giving them credit for.
a .
The logic is that by virtue our mere existence we whites are guilty of a transgression that requires restitution. This is wrong on too many levels to count, but this sort of hatefulness has been willfully normalized on the left the past five years.
Is Beto building an argument for reparations here? I don't find that unlikely. Beto's on record for backing reparations, and this kind of talk about how it is insufficient merely to not be racist is constructed in a way that leads somewhere practical. Tell us how to go that extra step, O'Rourke! Well it's a small step to go from what he said to, it's not enough to just be racist, you must be against racism by paying reparations if you are white.
b.
Does being against racism make me anti-racist or must I be woke?
It's a great question, and most non-progressives are going to sensibly assume Beto really just means 'be woke'.

Nice deflection. Did you watch the last few liberal debates? They all promise bat shit stuff like reparations etc... why would the far right send me to the far left if there is a sensible moderate left official to vote for? Looks like that option sailed for the donkeys.

When you look at most of the "batshit stuff" policies, the nation, when polled, swings hard on the liberal side. But good job, I guess.

He means that all white people should change their names to Miguel, Hector, Travon etc....... No longer is it ok to be a Scott, Mike, Chad, Debbie or Becky.

It’s no longer good enough to be anti-racist, IMO. You need to actively discriminate against people who’s skin tone is similar to yours, to win this game of “who’s most virtuous?” Top Trumps.

Hell yes, I'm going to take your guns.
Hell yes, I'm going to take your churches.
Hell yes, I'm going to take your national pride.

Hell yes, I'm going to give up on trying to do anything with this presidential campaign other than flame out and desperately try to shift the overton window as far to the left as possible before I drive drunk back home to El Paso and collapse in bed next to my obscenely wealthy wife.

I also think the internet attracts a lot of lonely, Underachieving, socially awkward, dying to belong, perpetually outraged individuals as well, who feel better about themselves by lecturing others on morality and racism. (Not saying this is you)

Fact is, Beto has no moral high ground here or credibility on the matter. I will not be judged or lectured by people like him.

Do you feel personally targeted by the statement from Beto in the Op?

Part of the job of a politician, especially a candidate, is to give speeches and express their opinions. It is a requirement for their position. You don't have to feel like you're being personally lectured by Beto O'Rourke, you don’t even have to watch Beto O’Rourke speeches.

Last edited:
1. I agree with you that parsing what Beto says about racism is more constructive in terms of a conversation about racism than attacking him or his wife. I'd go a step further and add that I don't see any context here that justifies attacking his wife. However, I have no problem at all with someone dismissing Beto's remarks as unserious or insidious given the context of his current campaign.

I agree. I dismiss most remarks from most politicians. It's the animosity that confused me, and that's why I tagged you to seek a reasonable explanation.

2. I think one thing you aren't taking into account here is that Beto is an extremist. His apparently anodyne comments on race aren't happening in a vacuum, but in the context of saying batshit crazy and dangerous shit over the past few weeks. It is unsurprising that people react negatively toward him. He seems to be intentionally polarizing. We aren't having a conversation about what is wrong with racism, but about Beto and what is wrong with him.

There is a lot wrong with Beto. The guy is polling at 2% right now. Nobody seems to like him. People across the board react negatively to him, for pretty clear reasons. But I was asking about this particular situation, in which he made a pretty mild statement about being against racism, to which people responded with pretty extreme attacks.

3. The point of course remains that no one has defined what Beto is talking about. Considering the growing ambiguity of terms like 'racism' I think a lot of the reactions to Beto are far more sensible than you are giving them credit for.

There has not been any sensible explanation given for calling Beto evil or a racist in this thread. When pressed, people have hardly even expressed any disagreement with what he said here, other than wanting more clarification.

Tell us how to go that extra step, O'Rourke! Well it's a small step to go from what he said to, it's not enough to just be racist, you must be against racism by paying reparations if you are white.

"If you are white"? Has anybody actually presented a plan that only requires taxes collected from "white" to go towards reparations?

My understanding is that the government pays reparations from the tax that everybody who lives in this country pays. Just like we did with the Japanese. Japanese people pay taxes too, which means they paid into their own reparations (if you choose to look at it that way).

I don't believe reparations for slavery is a sensible solution for anything at this point. But it is certainly not a "white tax" or anything remotely close to that. Black people pay taxes, Asian people pay taxes, White people pay taxes, etc.

What does that even mean? You have to be proactive against racism in what way?

So is this like his gun confiscation plans? He'd going to send the military and law enforcement door to door to make sure you aren't having racist thoughts? Or after receiving information from an informant that you didn't confront or report that man at the store who made what could be taken as a racist comment?

What a fucking retard he is.

Racism isn't a topic with middle ground - you're either pro racism or anti racism.

Does this moron really think there are people out there like "well personally, racism is not for me, but to each their own"?

I don't see how decriminalizing border crossings, or getting rid of ICE would constitute open borders. It also seems countermand to a policy of open borders to work with Republicans on massive spending packages that included over 21 billion dollars to the Agency of Customs and Border Enforcement, the department literally responsible for keeping the border "less than open".

Giving illegals free healthcare is a far more humane and cost effective strategy in comparison to the method the USA utilizes at this point in time, having these illegal immigrants take up space in Emergency rooms. Remember, you're arguing for an admin whose best immigration policy conceivable was to detain people illegally and for indefinite amounts of time in for profit centers that are inhumane, and bilking the taxpayer for 22,000usd a month, per person. One would think the side of the aisle constantly creating the biggest deficits while in power while screaming about fiscal responsibility would be "open" to any approaches other than their feeble ones.

Lastly, I don't find reparations very logistically sound, but that doesn't make the policy, and the sentiments behind it insane.

You are a fucking traitor.

You are a fucking traitor.

Pray tell, how? You guys knob gobble Donald Trump, yet speak of others being traitorous. Are you another member of the Canadian goof troop by chance?

You guys can't defend your assertions, like Heretic and these policies somehow equaling open borders, so you whinge. What's next, you feel aggrieved as a white person from immigration, huh? Poor baby!!

Racism isn't a topic with middle ground - you're either pro racism or anti racism.

Does this moron really think there are people out there like "well personally, racism is not for me, but to each their own"?

I think Beto's idea is a justification for when someone finds his dungeon. "They're all racists in those cages!! I said it wasn't enough to not be a racist!!"

When somebody starts getting moralistic, and takes shit really far and quick, I always think they've got literal skeletons in their closets. Beto does this shit just like Jesse Helms, Thurmond or other weirdos.

Careful.. The word racism can be redefined and have the bar moved pretty drastically. Is somebody who thinks that affirmative action in college admissions is unfair, a racist? Somebody who thinks that urban crime seeping out and hurting people deserves attention and recognition? You may not have those opinions, but you (very reasonably) could think that somebody is free to have them. If the alt-left labels those opinions racist, and anybody who has them racist, but you d9nt agree with that assessment, you are now a bad guy in beto land.

I worked with a black dude that admitted he didn't like white people, and we laughed it off. I didn't feel the need to curse him as a human, and he didn't treat me bad personally. *shrugs*

Careful.. The word racism can be redefined and have the bar moved pretty drastically. Is somebody who thinks that affirmative action in college admissions is unfair, a racist? Somebody who thinks that urban crime seeping out and hurting people deserves attention and recognition? You may not have those opinions, but you (very reasonably) could think that somebody is free to have them. If the alt-left labels those opinions racist, and anybody who has them racist, but you d9nt agree with that assessment, you are now a bad guy in beto land.

I worked with a black dude that admitted he didn't like white people, and we laughed it off. I didn't feel the need to curse him as a human, and he didn't treat me bad personally. *shrugs*

I hope you're not insinuating that Beto (and perhaps people who are similarly located on the political spectrum) would use the term "racism" loosely as a tool to stifle political opposition and advance their own political agenda. They would NEVER do that! <Lmaoo>

Has @nac386 defined racism yet so we can figure out what "anti-racism" means? Or is he hall monitoring likes on random posts?

Back