Bethe tryin to get in Rondas head

Ronda looks like she has been practicing trying Not to walk like Tank Abbot, but she still swings her shoulders like a dude at the Jersey shore.

I think the only thing in Ronda's head after that staredown is a sudden urge to watch No Country for Old Men again.

You guys are so obsessed with Fedor's image and pyschology, but he's been rustled, angry, pissed, etc. before. Sure he doesn't show it, but it's just not his character. He's his own man. He's got his own demeanor and problems. I don't understand this aspect of him as the uber-man who has no trials or hardships just because he doesn't act like a prototypical fighter.

I completely agree that he is someone to be admired and he's a true martial artist in that he controls his emotions, but sometimes controlling your emotions means exerting them. When you're working on your breathing for Yoga and even something like Muay Thai, exerting your breath, yelling, screaming, etc. are encouraged and standard practice, not only for the flow of oxygen to your body, but just the mental aspect of release.

Despite my internet demeanor, in training and working out I'm a pretty calm dude and it bites me in the ass a lot. Sometimes I have to get mean, yell, over exert, get angry to accomplish the goals i have set for me by myself and others.

In this instance, for Bethe, it is within her character and her plan to exert herself. And for good reason imo. She's challenging the greatest female fighter ever, an intense woman who keeps her emotions controlled very well, and sometimes you have to be the waves crashing on the rock.

Let's say Bethe defies the odds tomorrow and lands a big hand on Ronda; Ronda's mind very well may go to the intensity Bethe showed today. She may break. It's not likely, but why not? What if it works?
What does someone in Bethe's position have to gain by looking like Fedor? What does she have to gain by being a submissive runner up to Ronda like Alexis Davis and Sara McMann?

Much like Fedor did with so many others, she has to go out and fight her own fight and not Ronda's, but most importantly, she has to win and the best way to do that is to disregard Ronda's aggression and implement her own. She's done so perfectly so far imo.

Ronda by armbar

I agree with a lot of what you say, except I'm really not obsessed with Fedor's psychology and I certainly don't view him as some "uber-man who has no trials or hardships". These are your words and I disagree.

The point is Fedor was a fighter who recognized the meaninglessness of the staredown. There is no need to flex your muscles, puff your chest out, and put on an act, because whether you will win the fight or not depends on your fighting ability and not on your staredown ability.

A lot of fighters are the opposite. They feel the need to flex their muscles, strut their stuff and puff their chest out. The only logical reason for this is to put off a perception of toughness. But why bother telling your opponent you will beat them, when you can just wait till the actual fight, and beat them for real?

I train as well, I'm going to have my first fight in September, and I agree with what you say about training, but training is different from a staredown. Staredowns require no physical exertion or even psychological exertion of any kind. You CAN exert yourself in a staredown, or "try and win" the staredown or something, and a lot of fighters choose to do this, but nevertheless it is completely unnecessary.

It's not about looking like Fedor, and I don't know why you think that being calm, stoic, reserved and introverted are submissive traits. That's really the center of this problem. Fighters feel like they have to act tough or they will appear submissive. I think the opposite is true. I think people who are afraid to look submissive are the ones who are truly submissive, and I may be wrong but I think Fedor understood this.

In reality, it matters not how you appear, or how people perceive you. Perception is the brother of deception. What people think means little. What you do is most important.

Bethe is going to get completely embarrassed on saturday night.

Back