Bethe tryin to get in Rondas head

I'd say it is working. Being in someone's head isn't always positive. If someone who can kick your ass spends 12 weeks developing the perfect way to kick your ass, you're not really at an advantage.

Too much is made on here of the psychological side of things, as if showing anger or dislike makes you mentally weak or too emotional. Sure, there are guys and gals who have been victims of it, but are we sure they would have won had they not gotten too emotional?

I think it's good for someone like Ronda to have someone in her head. The biggest threat to her is a girl she writes off.

^ great post

Am I the only one that thinks that Bethe is super awkward during staredowns lol

God I hate it when I hear them calling her Honda

I'd say it is working. Being in someone's head isn't always positive. If someone who can kick your ass spends 12 weeks developing the perfect way to kick your ass, you're not really at an advantage.

Too much is made on here of the psychological side of things, as if showing anger or dislike makes you mentally weak or too emotional. Sure, there are guys and gals who have been victims of it, but are we sure they would have won had they not gotten too emotional?

I think it's good for someone like Ronda to have someone in her head. The biggest threat to her is a girl she writes off.

I would agree and point out that Tate was in Ronda's head for both their fights, didn't seem to impede Ronda's performance one bit.

ronda didn't even blink or flinched, i don't think it worked either.

Out of curiosity, can Bethe get in her head without the ability to speak coherent english?

You can usually understand one out of six words, kinda hard to make a point when that is the case. I would imagine the conversation went something like, "Honda unintelligible unintelligible unintelligible I unintelligible unintelligible Me unintelligible yesterday"

I find it funny when people try to act tough at staredowns. Do they even realize it's just a staredown? Do they realize they aren't going to fight at the staredown? I guess they just feel the need to puff their chest out, so to speak, and make themselves appear tough. I think staredowns are meaningless to a truly great fighter, and a perfect example of this attitude would be the great Fedor Emelianenko.

I would agree and point out that Tate was in Ronda's head for both their fights, didn't seem to impede Ronda's performance one bit.

Well Tate seemed to really piss of Ronda before their second fight and that's the only fight that lasted more than a round for Ronda

Gotta enjoy every bit of that 3 seconds of fame.

I find it funny when people try to act tough at staredowns. Do they even realize it's just a staredown? Do they realize they aren't going to fight at the staredown? I guess they just feel the need to puff their chest out, so to speak, and make themselves appear tough. I think staredowns are meaningless to a truly great fighter, and a perfect example of this attitude would be the great Fedor Emelianenko.

You guys are so obsessed with Fedor's image and pyschology, but he's been rustled, angry, pissed, etc. before. Sure he doesn't show it, but it's just not his character. He's his own man. He's got his own demeanor and problems. I don't understand this aspect of him as the uber-man who has no trials or hardships just because he doesn't act like a prototypical fighter.

I completely agree that he is someone to be admired and he's a true martial artist in that he controls his emotions, but sometimes controlling your emotions means exerting them. When you're working on your breathing for Yoga and even something like Muay Thai, exerting your breath, yelling, screaming, etc. are encouraged and standard practice, not only for the flow of oxygen to your body, but just the mental aspect of release.

Despite my internet demeanor, in training and working out I'm a pretty calm dude and it bites me in the ass a lot. Sometimes I have to get mean, yell, over exert, get angry to accomplish the goals i have set for me by myself and others.

In this instance, for Bethe, it is within her character and her plan to exert herself. And for good reason imo. She's challenging the greatest female fighter ever, an intense woman who keeps her emotions controlled very well, and sometimes you have to be the waves crashing on the rock.

Let's say Bethe defies the odds tomorrow and lands a big hand on Ronda; Ronda's mind very well may go to the intensity Bethe showed today. She may break. It's not likely, but why not? What if it works?
What does someone in Bethe's position have to gain by looking like Fedor? What does she have to gain by being a submissive runner up to Ronda like Alexis Davis and Sara McMann?

Much like Fedor did with so many others, she has to go out and fight her own fight and not Ronda's, but most importantly, she has to win and the best way to do that is to disregard Ronda's aggression and implement her own. She's done so perfectly so far imo.

Ronda by armbar

C'mon. This is the biggest money match of Bethe's career. I'd say there's a good chance she realizes she has no (realistic) chance of winning, but that she's just trying to sell some ppvs.

Like any of you guys would go out there and say, "Yeah, I'm gonna lose" in interviews, and be meek and deferential in staredowns. You'd try to make some fucking money.

Well Tate seemed to really piss of Ronda before their second fight and that's the only fight that lasted more than a round for Ronda

Yeah, she was in her head. That's the point. Bethe seems to be in her head.

I disagree.
The thing is that it works for some, and for others it does not.

Look at how it affected DC against Jon.
If a fighter is a cerebral fighter and he gets emotional, he makes mistakes that cen be costly.

But on ROnda's case (and many others), having someone "in your head" just pushes you to train more, harder and be twice as dangerous as if it was anyone else.

It is always a risk.
But then again, Ronda saying she wants to take her time is already a big win for Bethe... that is... if Ronda is serious and Bethe can capitalize on it.

Loving her strut and pose......she's too focused on that than to care what Bethe is saying.

Mind games can only work if the fighters in question are somewhat comparable in talent. Ronda is just too good for Bethe

I disagree.
The thing is that it works for some, and for others it does not.

Look at how it affected DC against Jon.
If a fighter is a cerebral fighter and he gets emotional, he makes mistakes that cen be costly.

But on ROnda's case (and many others), having someone "in your head" just pushes you to train more, harder and be twice as dangerous as if it was anyone else.

It is always a risk.
But then again, Ronda saying she wants to take her time is already a big win for Bethe... that is... if Ronda is serious and Bethe can capitalize on it.

That's what I'm saying: why do you guys assume these bad performances are mental. Do you REALLY think that DC's emotions had anything to do with Jon flat out being a better fighter?
Jon realistically won that fight 3 rounds to 2 and even if you go 4-1, 3 of those rounds were close and DC just wasn't good enough.

I just seem to think this alpha/beta mental stuff goes away when it is skill for skill and Jon was superior.

My previous post may seem like it contradicts that with the "Ronda may remember" stuff, but it goes hand in hand. If Ronda is truly more skilled, and avoids being in losing positions, Bethe's words are meaningless. If she isn't, and gets tagged, those skills hold more weight.

Flip the Bones/DC scenario around; if DC came out in the first right, put Jones on his ass and beat the shit out of him for a couple of minutes, don't you think that Jones would start to have his emotions take over and his morality sunken in?

They go hand in hand. You're not going to lose a fight against a better opponent solely because they hurt your feelings and you're not going to beat someone by hurting their feelings without actually putting your hands on them.

I think she'll get in Ronda's armbar instead.

she was in her head the first fight too, just no TUF platform to promote the fact. why do you think there was a pre-existing animosity for the second go around.
I'd say Tate lasted longer simply because she had already been in there with Ronda and wasn't intimidated.

she was in her head the first fight too, just no TUF platform to promote the fact. why do you think there was a pre-existing animosity for the second go around.
I'd say Tate lasted longer simply because she had already been in there with Ronda and wasn't intimidated.

There were also times in that fight when Ronda didn't look too confident. Her superior skill and athleticism won her the fight, but she looked a little disheartened when Tate was tagging her, taking her down, etc.

Hell, even in her recounting of the feet she claims to have "knocked Miesha out" during the third round or something. Just bizarre, damn near sociopathic retelling of the fight, which definitely stems from the fact that she dislikes tate and did not want to lose to her on any grounds.

Back