Betamax or VCR? Which one did your family have growing up?

I know we had beta when I was very young, but I don't remember much of it. VHS was my era growing up. Still remember those days walking into Blockbuster looking for a movie to watch and they would display those huge VHS containers when you picked them out. Often times any good new releases would be sold out quick. We've come a long way.

Anyway, in answer to the TS’ question we had a VHS vcr. I only remember meeting like one or two people who ever even had a Betamax. The only thing I can compare to that was in about 2007 or 2008 a friend of my brother had an HD-DVD player, the failed competitor to blu Ray. Poor bastard.
My buddy bought the hd DVD player for the Xbox 360.

lol.

Betamax only my mom got it in the late 80s like a 5 months to pay in store credit because her boss likes her.

Lol.

Back then Credit cards and ATM is allien in my family culture yeah we are boor.

By 1997 VCD was a hit in town thousands of cheap pirata disks!

I bought my Own VHS in year 2000 so I can masturbate more

We got a vhs. The rest of the cousins etc had beta and they laughed at us. I remember the vhs rental section being scarce. We had the last laugh.

Started with Beta Max but when the selection dried up at the movie rental places we went to VHS. Beta was better quality tho.

betamax was a flop, even though it was supposedly better.

It wasn't better. People that read about the specs think it was better because a higher resolution is listed for Betamax but that was only if you used it a mode that could only store like 1 hour on a full tape, feature length movies didn't use that.

Its just like old tape based recorders that let you record a higher quality by running the tape faster.

VHS. I never even knew about Betamax back then. Never saw them for sale at places like Circuit City that had LDs.

Started with Beta Max but when the selection dried up at the movie rental places we went to VHS. Beta was better quality tho.

The real death of beta seemed to be when the rental places started to consolidate in to chains around the late 80's and early 90's, more focus on large amounts of latest releases and high turnover leaving less room for a beta section.

Mom and pop rental places would often hold onto the same tapes for years to get a return out of them.

Neither until i was a teen.

Back