Best Wrestling Style for MMA?

RyanDrake

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently training Boxing, Muay Thai, and BJJ but I'd like to get some wrestling into my training. Unfortunately I was only introduced to the sport of mma after having graduated from highschool, so joining a hs wrestling team isn't an option.

My options are;

Greco-Roman Wrestling
Freestyle Wrestling
Submission wrestling
Sambo

Which would start me off with a good wrestling base and/or be more applicable to an actual MMA fight?

Thanks in advance :)

Greco or freestyle imo. Try both out and see which you like most.

pick the person who has the better pedigree/wrestling ability. As a beginner, the coaches ability will dwarf any specific benefit of a certain style.

I'm currently training Boxing, Muay Thai, and BJJ but I'd like to get some wrestling into my training. Unfortunately I was only introduced to the sport of mma after having graduated from highschool, so joining a hs wrestling team isn't an option.

My options are;

Greco-Roman Wrestling
Freestyle Wrestling
Submission wrestling
Sambo

Which would start me off with a good wrestling base and/or be more applicable to an actual MMA fight?

I am wondering if you feel like there is a hole in your game and want to add to it what is different between BJJ and sub wrestling for all intents and purposes?

I am thinking you are wanting to add take down and control to your game so I would suggest Greco, Freestyle or Sambo.

I am thinking you are wanting to add take down and control to your game so I would suggest Greco, Freestyle or Sambo.

Exactly right, I want to be able to control the fight, depending on my opponent, either keep him standing or take him down and ground and pound, or work a submission.

I don't want to be a pure striker who has to over-rely on takedown defence.

Unfortunately I was only introduced to the sport of mma after having graduated from highschool, so joining a hs wrestling team isn't an option.
Dude, you should try it. The first step is to grow a Frye stache for instant credibility. Then you want to drive by the local hs slowly several times, to scope the place out. Then, introduce yourself to the local wrestling coach. Try and not to look too furtive, just tell him you'd like to wrestle with his boys. Let us know how it works out.

The answer to your question is all relative. If you're good enough at something, then any of those could be good options. If you're doing BJJ then I wouldn't worry about including submission wrestling as a form of wrestling. For a lot of gyms, submission wrestling and no-gi bjj are the same thing. From my experience, the name difference usually just depends on whether the instructor starter out as a wrestler or a gi bjj guy and then transitioned into the other form over time.

As far as wrestling goes, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Each style has its own list of MMA success stories. Like Nagster said, pick the style that has the best coaching available to you because if you get good at any one of those styles then you can be successful.

My options are;

Greco-Roman Wrestling
Freestyle Wrestling
Submission wrestling
Sambo

Damm, you are lucky to have so many clubs that you can train at!

Go and try one class each and ask each coach if they have any MMA fighters in their team.

You want to become a MMA fighter, the best is to stick with guys that are fighting as well.

The answer to your question is all relative. If you're good enough at something, then any of those could be good options. If you're doing BJJ then I wouldn't worry about including submission wrestling as a form of wrestling. For a lot of gyms, submission wrestling and no-gi bjj are the same thing. From my experience, the name difference usually just depends on whether the instructor starter out as a wrestler or a gi bjj guy and then transitioned into the other form over time.

As far as wrestling goes, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Each style has its own list of MMA success stories. Like Nagster said, pick the style that has the best coaching available to you because if you get good at any one of those styles then you can be successful.

Perfect answer thanks :)

I tend to over-analyze things.

Just go train dude.

Take into account talent pool and relevence to your personal goals.

My options are;

Greco-Roman Wrestling
Freestyle Wrestling
Submission wrestling
Sambo

subwrestling - no, you are already taking bjj and i would assume that you have at least 1 no gi day a week (especially if you are at least a blue)

sambo - no. bjj, wrestling, boxing, and MT are best for mma as far I have have observed.

so freestyle or greco- greco is upper only, so that is a whole half of the body you are not going to be able to use. i think freestyle would be better but either would be good.

Back