Best wrestling performance in a UFC fight? Jon Jones?

Takedown in the first came off a DC kick, which is good at capitalizing. Then he got the others when DC was gassed and against the cage. Really isn't in my top 10 in terms of wrestling performances in a fight.

Jones is awesome though, he really knows how to use his reach. He can take a punch.

I forgot about the td in the first. It wasn't a wrestling based td (no kicks in wrestling) but a nice one none the less. Jones is still a bad mofo but he's still not the best mma wrestler. Especially since Gus was very competitive with him in this department.

jones showed saturday that he is the best wrestler in the LHW division. hands down. he beat cormier at his own game.

no doubt. cormier had his moments, but jones controlled the clinch and got the tds.

That was just trying to discredit the opponents (I didn't discredit dc) and fails to touch on the actual point of my post. THOSE FIGHTS ALL DISPLAYED BETTER TAKEDOWNS AND GROUND CONTROL AND ALSO GROUND AND POUND.

I didn't get "hostile" I got "hostile" cause as your response shows you're a moron.

hahaha. Chill fella, there was a reason i posted this with question marks and in the thread asked for other examples.

Still learning. I disagree with your points, but its cool... i think a less stellar performance against a much better wrestler is more impressive... but ok, try to be pleasant.

Question though, does ground and pound count for wrestling? It's something actually done in amateur wrestling is it?

If you consider that DC is an Olympic wrestler then yes. Thinking about displaying good wrestling I can think of a lot better showcases, Matt Hughes, GSP, Couture, ect.

hahaha. Chill fella, there was a reason i posted this with question marks and in the thread asked for other examples.

Still learning. I disagree with your points, but its cool... i think a less stellar performance against a much better wrestler is more impressive... but ok, try to be pleasant.

Question though, does ground and pound count for wrestling? It's something actually done in amateur wrestling is it?

This is mma so yes bring able to control your opponent on the ground is grappling and not specific to any style so there's no reason not to call it wrestling.

Taking someone down and them getting up shows no ground control.

taking someone down and smothering them shows you can smother an opponent while taking zero risks.

taking someone down controlling them and then being able to posture up and land ground and bound shows a great base and ability to control your opponent and is the most impressive aspect of wrestling in mma. Reason being slams happen very rarely, takedowns are mostly worthless without gnp and grinding against the cage and stalling/using a cage to stop you from being taken down is not only not entertaining it's not damaging.

How could the best wrestling performance in a UFC fight include:

- zero top control
- a sequence where the winner gets picked up and slammed head over heels?

It was an impressive wrestling showing for JJ, no doubt- but mainly for his work (and dominance) in the clinch. The TD's didn't really mean much of anything. If he had rolled out in the first three rounds and power-doubled a fresh Cormier and controlled him on the mat we'd be having a different discussion.

I'm trying so hard not to take anything away from Jones, but you guys make it difficult.

He got 2 takedowns, fucking 2 against the cage. He got them, when his opponent told him he wouldn't. He blocked some takedown attempts from a very good wrestler.

That's it. That is the greatest wrestling performance in the history of the UFC? You teen beat MMA fans are killing me with this gushing over what was a lackluster fight. Jon won. He beat a very tough and accomplished guy. In the opinion of this Jones hater, a bigger win than his earlier title defenses against bigger names but past their primes and at questionable weight classes. But enough already. He didn't destroy him or humiliate him or any of the other over the top bullshit I'm reading on here. Isn't a win against a worthy challenger enough for anyone? 25 minutes and the highlight reel would be about 70 seconds with a caught kick, 2 against the cage takedowns, and a few hard body shots. That's it. Neither guy was ever even so much as dazed never mind in danger of being finished.

Those takedowns by the way, they are the exact kind of takedown we bitch about on here when a guy goes for one late and wins the round because of it. Once again trying desperately to give him credit for taking down a guy he said he could against a guy that said he couldn't. But they were what they were, not some amazing you gotta see this shit.

Best wrestling performance on this card? Most certainly. In all UFC fights EVER? Khabib laughs at your statement.

Back