Best wrestling performance in a UFC fight? Jon Jones?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Killme, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Killme

Killme The NoGi Bear

I would say so, great takedown defense... and awesome pop from the crowd when he was getting them takedowns against the cage... even Dana was imprresed.

If not Jones, what was your favourite/most entertaining wrestling performance of all time?

2. daprodigal2

daprodigal2 Green Belt

jones showed saturday that he is the best wrestler in the LHW division. hands down. he beat cormier at his own game.

3. xboxbman

xboxbman Purple Belt

Khabib fought...someone, and got like 30 takedowns in the fight.

That was the best wrestling performance in my opinion.

EDIT: it was Abel Trujillo at UFC 160 and it was 21 takedowns, a UFC record.

4. Arm Barbarian

Arm Barbarian Titanium Belt Platinum Member

GSP comes to mind. He has made elite wrestlers look human.

But yeah, those lifts and slams of Cormier was pretty amazing. I do think it was primarily due to him being gassed in the 4th though.

5. Rittsy

Rittsy Red Belt

Doesn't that say more about his ability to hold someone down?

6. Reach4theSky

Reach4theSky Playin' a riddim

He's done that to a lot of guys.

7. chopstick

chopstick Invisible Belt

GSP has put on some clinics. His first fight with Koscheck and his fight with Alves were both very impressive.

8. DanaLovesTito**

DanaLovesTito** Orange Belt

Jones didn't stand a chance at being able to wrestle Cormier until DC was completely exhausted. GSP taking down a fresh Kos or Hendricks is vastly more impressive.

9. Sexy Jesus

Sexy Jesus Triple-Yellow Card Banned

What Jones did to a gased and tired DC with his wrestling, GSP did it before to perfectly fresh opponents in the beginning of a fight :icon_surp

10. Wamma

Wamma Green Belt

This Jones Jones delusion is pretty pathetic. Best wrestling performance ever? Because he took down the guy who was tired from body shots twice and yet couldn't even hold him down. Nor could he hold him down off the caught kick. Then he gets picked up over dcs head (while trying to cheat) and slammed.

"Oh my gosh Jon Jones is so gooooood!""

Have you ever even watched this sport?

Gsp vs bj Penn 1 & 2

Jake shields vs Dan Henderson

Hughes vs Trigg

Couture vs Sylvia

4 random examples none of which the correct answer all with far greater displays of wrestling in it and also featuring this thing called ground and pound. Not wall and stall.

11. mental mickey

mental mickey Yellow Belt

You say that as if Cormiers striking was to be feared and Jones' only plan was to get him to the mat. It was DC who was trying to take Jones down repeatedly and failed, so wouldn't it be fairer to say DC didn't stand a chance wrestling with Jones? Or is that too logical

Btw, I agree that Gsp was impressive vs Kos.. Not against Hendricks however

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  12. capnlarge

capnlarge Silver Belt

I definitely have to give this to GSP, who with seemingly no wrestling background, blew up D1 all-americans in wrestling and had nigh-impenetrable takedown defense over his career.

13. DanaLovesTito**

DanaLovesTito** Orange Belt

I didn't say that at all. You comprehend like a child that only sees what they want. Jones didn't stand a chance of being able to take Cormier down until Cormier was clearly exhausted and Jones wasn't. That is most definitely not as impressive as GSP taking down a world class wrestler with timing and skill and while his opponent is fresh and can react properly. Sorry kid, this is fact.

14. beastman

beastman Silver Belt

Takedown in the first came off a DC kick, which is good at capitalizing. Then he got the others when DC was gassed and against the cage. Really isn't in my top 10 in terms of wrestling performances in a fight.

Jones is awesome though, he really knows how to use his reach. He can take a punch.

15. estranged

estranged Black Belt

Khabib FTW

16. Killme

Killme The NoGi Bear

Oh... we get all hostlie for no reason suddenly.

Ok... using your logic...

BJ penn was a blown up light weight who gasses easy, Henderson is an old man who was thrown around at will be DC and drained at mw.

Sylvia... well, sucks... quite frankly. and trigg... who cares.

17. mental mickey

mental mickey Yellow Belt

Brilliant, this Einstein accuses someone of thinking like a child with a playground insult. See the irony? And as I did say GSP vs Kos was impressive, however against Hendricks, he took him down once whilst fresh and he popped back up. That's like claiming Lesnar put on a wrestling clinic against Cain

18. Killme

Killme The NoGi Bear

Jones was wrestling DC all night really... mostly defensively, and in the clinch. Took DC down in the first while he was fresh. The started to take him down later on just to prove he could.

This is DC, apparently the best wrestler in the sport. Jones handled him with little trouble. If anything he struggled more with DC's striking.

19. ligthandshadow

ligthandshadow Red Belt

Also when GSP smoked Frank Trigg... it was pretty surreal to see Trigg look so defeated on the mat.

20. Wamma

Wamma Green Belt

That was just trying to discredit the opponents (I didn't discredit dc) and fails to touch on the actual point of my post. THOSE FIGHTS ALL DISPLAYED BETTER TAKEDOWNS AND GROUND CONTROL AND ALSO GROUND AND POUND.

I didn't get "hostile" I got "hostile" cause as your response shows you're a moron.