Best wrestling performance in a UFC fight? Jon Jones?

Killme

The NoGi Bear
@Green
Reaction score
I would say so, great takedown defense... and awesome pop from the crowd when he was getting them takedowns against the cage... even Dana was imprresed.

If not Jones, what was your favourite/most entertaining wrestling performance of all time?

jones showed saturday that he is the best wrestler in the LHW division. hands down. he beat cormier at his own game.

Khabib fought...someone, and got like 30 takedowns in the fight.

That was the best wrestling performance in my opinion.

EDIT: it was Abel Trujillo at UFC 160 and it was 21 takedowns, a UFC record.

GSP comes to mind. He has made elite wrestlers look human.

But yeah, those lifts and slams of Cormier was pretty amazing. I do think it was primarily due to him being gassed in the 4th though.

Khabib fought...someone, and got like 30 takedowns in the fight.

That was the best wrestling performance in my opinion.

Doesn't that say more about his ability to hold someone down?

GSP has put on some clinics. His first fight with Koscheck and his fight with Alves were both very impressive.

Jones didn't stand a chance at being able to wrestle Cormier until DC was completely exhausted. GSP taking down a fresh Kos or Hendricks is vastly more impressive.

What Jones did to a gased and tired DC with his wrestling, GSP did it before to perfectly fresh opponents in the beginning of a fight :icon_surp

I would say so, great takedown defense... and awesome pop from the crowd when he was getting them takedowns against the cage... even Dana was imprresed.

If not Jones, what was your favourite/most entertaining wrestling performance of all time?

This Jones Jones delusion is pretty pathetic. Best wrestling performance ever? Because he took down the guy who was tired from body shots twice and yet couldn't even hold him down. Nor could he hold him down off the caught kick. Then he gets picked up over dcs head (while trying to cheat) and slammed.

"Oh my gosh Jon Jones is so gooooood!""

Have you ever even watched this sport?

Gsp vs bj Penn 1 & 2

Jake shields vs Dan Henderson

Hughes vs Trigg

Couture vs Sylvia

4 random examples none of which the correct answer all with far greater displays of wrestling in it and also featuring this thing called ground and pound. Not wall and stall.

Jones didn't stand a chance at being able to wrestle Cormier until DC was completely exhausted. GSP taking down a fresh Kos or Hendricks is vastly more impressive.

You say that as if Cormiers striking was to be feared and Jones' only plan was to get him to the mat. It was DC who was trying to take Jones down repeatedly and failed, so wouldn't it be fairer to say DC didn't stand a chance wrestling with Jones? Or is that too logical

Btw, I agree that Gsp was impressive vs Kos.. Not against Hendricks however

Last edited:
I definitely have to give this to GSP, who with seemingly no wrestling background, blew up D1 all-americans in wrestling and had nigh-impenetrable takedown defense over his career.

You say that as if Cormiers striking was to be feared and Jones' only plan was to get him to the mat. It was DC who was trying to take Jones down repeatedly and failed, so wouldn't it be fairer to say DC didn't stand a chance wrestling with Jones? Or is that too logical

I didn't say that at all. You comprehend like a child that only sees what they want. Jones didn't stand a chance of being able to take Cormier down until Cormier was clearly exhausted and Jones wasn't. That is most definitely not as impressive as GSP taking down a world class wrestler with timing and skill and while his opponent is fresh and can react properly. Sorry kid, this is fact.

Takedown in the first came off a DC kick, which is good at capitalizing. Then he got the others when DC was gassed and against the cage. Really isn't in my top 10 in terms of wrestling performances in a fight.

Jones is awesome though, he really knows how to use his reach. He can take a punch.

This Jones Jones delusion is pretty pathetic. Best wrestling performance ever? Because he took down the guy who was tired from body shots twice and yet couldn't even hold him down. Nor could he hold him down off the caught kick. Then he gets picked up over dcs head (while trying to cheat) and slammed.

"Oh my gosh Jon Jones is so gooooood!""

Have you ever even watched this sport?

Gsp vs bj Penn 1 & 2

Jake shields vs Dan Henderson

Hughes vs Trigg

Couture vs Sylvia

4 random examples none of which the correct answer all with far greater displays of wrestling in it and also featuring this thing called ground and pound. Not wall and stall.

Oh... we get all hostlie for no reason suddenly.

Ok... using your logic...

BJ penn was a blown up light weight who gasses easy, Henderson is an old man who was thrown around at will be DC and drained at mw.

Sylvia... well, sucks... quite frankly. and trigg... who cares.

I didn't say that at all. You comprehend like a child that only sees what they want. Jones didn't stand a chance of being able to take Cormier down until Cormier was clearly exhausted and Jones wasn't. That is most definitely not as impressive as GSP taking down a world class wrestler with timing and skill and while his opponent is fresh and can react properly. Sorry kid, this is fact.

Brilliant, this Einstein accuses someone of thinking like a child with a playground insult. See the irony? And as I did say GSP vs Kos was impressive, however against Hendricks, he took him down once whilst fresh and he popped back up. That's like claiming Lesnar put on a wrestling clinic against Cain

Jones was wrestling DC all night really... mostly defensively, and in the clinch. Took DC down in the first while he was fresh. The started to take him down later on just to prove he could.

This is DC, apparently the best wrestler in the sport. Jones handled him with little trouble. If anything he struggled more with DC's striking.

GSP has put on some clinics. His first fight with Koscheck and his fight with Alves were both very impressive.

Also when GSP smoked Frank Trigg... it was pretty surreal to see Trigg look so defeated on the mat.

Oh... we get all hostlie for no reason suddenly.

Ok... using your logic...

BJ penn was a blown up light weight who gasses easy, Henderson is an old man who was thrown around at will be DC and drained at mw.

Sylvia... well, sucks... quite frankly. and trigg... who cares.

That was just trying to discredit the opponents (I didn't discredit dc) and fails to touch on the actual point of my post. THOSE FIGHTS ALL DISPLAYED BETTER TAKEDOWNS AND GROUND CONTROL AND ALSO GROUND AND POUND.

I didn't get "hostile" I got "hostile" cause as your response shows you're a moron.

Back