Best weight gainer?

mjfan12

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Whats the "best" weight gainer brand thats the best bang for the buck? Like what is the best weight gainer with the least amount of crap and the best ingriedients possible? (I know that most have a lot of crap in them)

Yeah I know that eating natural foods is best, but I just cant eat/afford/have time to eat that much natural food.

I can probably eat like 2,500 natural calories, but the rest I'm thinking of taking weight gainer for.

I am 5.9 and weigh 150ish. I want to be 175ish.

I havent worked out in a few months, but I mainly focus on the big 3 bench, deads, and squats. So my diet of only 2000 calories keeps me from making gain on my weight.

Dude, you might not appreciate me not pointing you to a supplement, so ignore this post if you like.

My advice is to drink milk, eat whole grains, cereal, eggs, nuts, veggies, eat good lean meat, and eat frequently if you want to gain weight. Most supplements are just full of starch & sugar -- not good stuff.

When you say you can afford or can't make the time to eat 'natural' food, what do you make the time to buy and eat? Only fast food and cupcakes?

You can eat fine anywhere if you want to, even @McD's, just a premium salad with grilled chicken and a milk on the side, or the chicken sandwich (tell them no mayo). Thats decent food.

You'll spend more $$$ and get less results by eating junk and drinking weight gainers than you would be eating right.

Grady said:
Dude, you might not appreciate me not pointing you to a supplement, so ignore this post if you like.

My advice is to drink milk, eat whole grains, cereal, eggs, nuts, veggies, eat good lean meat, and eat frequently if you want to gain weight. Most supplements are just full of starch & sugar -- not good stuff.

When you say you can afford or can't make the time to eat 'natural' food, what do you make the time to buy and eat? Only fast food and cupcakes?

You can eat fine anywhere if you want to, even @McD's, just a premium salad with grilled chicken and a milk on the side, or the chicken sandwich (tell them no mayo). Thats decent food.

You'll spend more $$$ and get less results by eating junk and drinking weight gainers than you would be eating right.
I can afford the food, but I'm a poor college kid. I have lots of other stuff to pay for.

But I know your right. Natural is the best way. But I start to feel sick eating so much solid food. Like having to force myself to eat every 2 hours even when I dont feel hungry is tough for me.

Do I eventually get used to eating so much?
but thanks for your response. I appreciate the help.

I know what you mean mjfan, I have the same problem. Its hard for me to make myself a good meal every hour (I dont eat crap, I just dont eat anything then). And Im used to cutting weight this time of the year and for the first time in like 6 years I dont have to. I also find myself just eating a lot of progresso steak and potato soup.

The problem with soup is that it is surprisingly filling but low cal. Last can of steak Progresso soup I looked at had something like 250-300 cals for the whole can (please correct me if I'm misremembering though).

PB&J's can be a quick 500 cals though.

To the thread starter. You mentioned you're taking in about 2000 calories a day currently but feel you can eat 2500 without real difficulty. That's a gain of about 500 cals per day which is pretty much right where you want to be to put on weight.

As to cost, you can normally eat whole foods more cheaply than you can buy a weight gainer for actually depending on how gourmet your tastes run.

KOU In3 said:
The problem with soup is that it is surprisingly filling but low cal. Last can of steak Progresso soup I looked at had something like 250-300 cals for the whole can (please correct me if I'm misremembering though).
Yeah, thats what I mean. I eat it because its cheap, healthy, very easy and quick to make, but then Im full on only 260 cals.

The thing about the weight gainer is just that I know it would be a lot easier for me to eat healthy and normally how I do and then just chug a gainer shake down then it is for me to be constantly reminding myself to make myself meals. That said, I'd rather bother myself to eat the real food.

KOU In3 said:

PB&J's can be a quick 500 cals though.

To the thread starter. You mentioned you're taking in about 2000 calories a day currently but feel you can eat 2500 without real difficulty. That's a gain of about 500 cals per day which is pretty much right where you want to be to put on weight.

As to cost, you can normally eat whole foods more cheaply than you can buy a weight gainer for actually depending on how gourmet your tastes run.

This is good advice KOU, I didn't think of a PB&J sandwich!
A couple of thick sandwichs like that extra a day ought to do it and do it cheap!

Plus, peanut butter & whole grain bread is good stuff.

well i downed about 3500 calories today. it was a struggle, but not as bad as i thought it would be.

but I ate stuff like 4 hotdogs, 2 tbls of flax oil, protein powder, 5 eggs, 5 slices of toast, a couple of apples, peanut butter.

anything "healthy" that would give me calories.

I feel ok, but I dont want to gain too much fat.

but this will be my first real attempt to bulk, because I always cut since I used to be chunky four years ago and I have a phobia of getting fat again. lol. I never want to be the way I was, but I want to have lean mass. Like I said, 170 is my goal. I hope it can be done by spring time.

so how many calories should I eat?

I am not working out heavily right now since school is out and I dont have access to a gym. I am also not training mma atm, but will start again hopefully in a few weeks. so I will be doing a fair amount of excercising then.

My metabolism is relatively fast, so maybe I need less cals now, but more when I up my workouts.

If you maintain current weight on 2000 calories a day, then aim to eat 300-500 extra a day, which will net you about 1lb a week gain. Adjust as you see fit each month, because everyone's metabolism and reaction is different. And you can plateau on weight gaining too.

You should work out though if you are "bulking," otherwise you will gain much more fat than otherwise. I'd say weights are your best bet, but you can do lots of bodyweight exercises without a gym if you have no equipment. Pushups can be modified by raising your legs to increase the loads on your chest/arms, pullups can be done on a ledge or a pullup bar in the doorframe (these cost less than $20), you can do pistols for squats. Fun stuff.

Grady said:
If you maintain current weight on 2000 calories a day, then aim to eat 300-500 extra a day, which will net you about 1lb a week gain. Adjust as you see fit each month, because everyone's metabolism and reaction is different. And you can plateau on weight gaining too.

You should work out though if you are "bulking," otherwise you will gain much more fat than otherwise. I'd say weights are your best bet, but you can do lots of bodyweight exercises without a gym if you have no equipment. Pushups can be modified by raising your legs to increase the loads on your chest/arms, pullups can be done on a ledge or a pullup bar in the doorframe (these cost less than $20), you can do pistols for squats. Fun stuff.
the lack of a workout situation is only for another 2.5 weeks until school starts. Then I'll have access to a full gym.

Until then I do a range or body weight excercises, and I have a small set of weights but no bench or anything. But its ok temporarily.

Plus I like doing the Bas MMA workout.

N-Large II is cheap as hell with a fine profile.

Noodles.. Udon, with pork chops or something och the side.. and plenty of it.

Madmick said:

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

Wolverine
///

Cytogainer is the only I have tried. I've jumped from 165 to 170 in the past 2 weeks using it as well as Muscle Milk and eating a shitload of food.

Madmick said:

i used that stuff before without much succes. this stuff is only usefull if your diet is good as well

Back