Best way to submit a wrestler

Oil check. 3 fingers!! Seriously, it all depends on the wrestler.

You are starting out in MMA and you have yet to learn how to deal with a wrestler?

I call work!

x guard seems to throw them off a tad bit. It seems like the wrestlers i have rolled with have incredible sub defense but lack the offense, so they just lay there not really doing anything

hmm..i'm not to sure about all this armdrag and take the back stuff against a quality wrestler. They are so used to countering armdrags and are pretty crafty when it comes to switches when someone tries to take their backs.

wrestlers love to armdrag, single leg, double leg, high crotch, fireman's carry etc...they are ultra aggressive but often times expose their necks while they shoot in because they are usually taught to shoot with the head to the outside hip of their opponents. Unlike MMA grappling where the shoot is taught with the head "spearing" the hip straight on, or with the head tucked to the inside. Which is why IMO guillitines, darce chokes, triangle chokes, basically any sub that attacks their exposed necks are easy to get.

guillotine during the takedown or an armbar from guard. this is from a wrestler.

Don't wrestle a wrestler.

Practice good BJJ and you will neutralize a wrestler.

Unless, you are in MMA. Wrestlers do a great pound the face guard pass.

iam a wrestler and i found when i first wore a gi it compleatly threw me off i was getting sub'd with things that i would usually defend off in nogi

Best way is to put them on their back

Which is the hardest thing to do to a wrestler considering that the main goal of wrestling is avoiding getting put on your back.

If you are able to put a wrestler on his back it means you are a far superior grappler than him and could probably submit him any way you want.

So while your answer isn't technically wrong it's completely useless.

As a wrestler since the age 5 and BJJ practitioner for the past 2 years, guillotine easily. We're taught to shoot with our head up which pretty much does the work for you

Yeah, um...good luck with that.

Maybe you need better sweeps then? Even very good wrestlers can get swept, and IME a wrestler on his back is seriously vunerable, their urge to bridge or turn at all costs makes em leave things out there.

Which is the hardest thing to do to a wrestler considering that the main goal of wrestling is avoiding getting put on your back.

If you are able to put a wrestler on his back it means you are a far superior grappler than him and could probably submit him any way you want.

So while your answer isn't technically wrong it's completely useless.

The guy who posted that is a decent wrestler and was speaking from the perspective of what makes him most vunerable. I never wrestled besides cross training once I was into judo and BJJ, and I consistently put wrestlers on their backs. I cant put em all there every time, but all levels from HS to 4 year starters from Lehigh I have gotten wrestlers on their backs, keeping one there is not exactly easy, but no matter what level the wrestler they tend to open themselves up alot to get off their backs, and thus you get your chances at submission.

The problem most people have with wrestlers is they are shitty athletes, I dont mean genetically, I mean they really dont do enough strength training and conditioning. Wrestlers tend to wear em out because most have a bulldog temperment and good physical attributes. Get yourself strong as you can be and in good shape and bringing the sort of pressure it takes to get the best of wrestlers gets ALOT easier.

All that said if you cant get one on his back the legs tend to be VERY vunerable.

Maybe you need better sweeps then? Even very good wrestlers can get swept, and IME a wrestler on his back is seriously vunerable, their urge to bridge or turn at all costs makes em leave things out there.

Of course a good BJJ guy can sweep a wrestler. But it's the path of greatest resistance.

You take an average wrestler and an average BJJ guy and 9-10 the wrestler won't get swept.
You take a great BJJ guy vs an average wrestler the BJJ guy will be able to sweep him 7 out of 10 times. But if you're a great BJJ guy you wouldn't ask the question about how to submit a wrestler in the first place.

I've seen guys like Jacare and Arona have their way with wrestlers but if it's your first tournament you don't want to go in with the expectation that you are going to be able put a seasoned wrestler on their back.

The guy who posted that is a decent wrestler and was speaking from the perspective of what makes him most vunerable. I never wrestled besides cross training once I was into judo and BJJ, and I consistently put wrestlers on their backs. I cant put em all there every time, but all levels from HS to 4 year starters from Lehigh I have gotten wrestlers on their backs, keeping one there is not exactly easy, but no matter what level the wrestler they tend to open themselves up alot to get off their backs, and thus you get your chances at submission.

The problem most people have with wrestlers is they are shitty athletes, I dont mean genetically, I mean they really dont do enough strength training and conditioning. Wrestlers tend to wear em out because most have a bulldog temperment and good physical attributes. Get yourself strong as you can be and in good shape and bringing the sort of pressure it takes to get the best of wrestlers gets ALOT easier.

All that said if you cant get one on his back the legs tend to be VERY vunerable.

Maybe I'm just thinking about it from my background, I'm pretty comfortable on my back. The things that always get me are guillotines, triangles, and armbars. Mostly from guys with a very defensive guard. I tend to get frustrated when I can't pass guard and end up trying something stupid.

Maybe I'm just thinking about it from my background, I'm pretty comfortable on my back.

Well if a guy with a good aggressive, back and forth side control game is on you, NO ONE is comfortable there. Pretty sure that was what the guy who said put a wrestler on his back was implying.

Well if a guy with a good aggressive, back and forth side control game is on you, NO ONE is comfortable there. Pretty sure that was what the guy who said put a wrestler on his back was implying.

I was implying that I'm comfortable on my back relative to most wrestlers.

I agree that a wrestler is very susceptible to submissions once put on his back, but I still maintain that a wrestlers best attribute is their ability to stay off their back, I mean that's what wrestling is competeing to see who is the better at putting the other on their back. I know that's a huge over simplification but if you're not good at staying off your back you won't go far in wrestling.

Don't wrestle a wrestler.

This is what my Judo instructor says all the time.
"Never wrestle a wrestler, just don't go there..."
My Judo coach was a collegiate wrestler before becoming a judoka, btw.

In my experience, pulling guard is the best thing you can possibly do. Use the jitz dude.
Someone jokingly said to pull guard and arm bar, but I think that's the best answer.

Triangle from guard.....
A lot of wrestlers when they are new to the sport will not posture up at all when in guard. They'll be determined to jump up to their feet and try to drive you through the mat....
Lock up an arm and set up a good triangle.....if that fails...time to start working on some solid sweep set-ups...

Back