best way to increase GRIP strength?

JH34PG

White Belt
Reaction score
fresh to training GI...however my grip strength is real bad and my hands fatigue...

any help with this??

Alright my friend. Try these.

Chin ups with a towel. You can hang from it as well until you fall to your death.

Another one I learned from Karate back in the day when Gracie was tapping out one gloved boxers is to place your elbows in your ribs and turn your hands in a supine position (palms up with your thumbs trying to touch the ground and start opening your hand and closing them as fast as you can. Keep doing it until it burns!
The trick with this exercise is to get your palms turned out as much as you can and open and squeeze your hands as fast and hard as you can. It takes a while to start to fatigue but once it does it hurts so muchhhhh.

some options are:

using a wrist roller
doing pushups on your fingers
reverse curls
towel pullups
pinching plates in each hand and walking a long distance

These have all worked for me but everyone is different

thanks guys...going to grip the plates in the gym...no longer going to use straps on pulls as well

take an ordinary pair of socks, folded together as u ordinarily do, and squeeze them. very simple, works great, ive been doing it for yrs and have sick gorilla grip. also, squeezing a tennis ball is decent. u can do either while watching tv or driving. the best way to increase grip strength? grip stuff. good luck.

take an ordinary pair of socks, folded together as u ordinarily do, and squeeze them. very simple, works great, ive been doing it for yrs and have sick gorilla grip. also, squeezing a tennis ball is decent. u can do either while watching tv or driving. the best way to increase grip strength? grip stuff. good luck.

That's ok for active recovery however as measurable grip training exercise it has much to be desired.

How do you know you have strong grip?

Grab two dumb bells low to medium weight
Grab two sheets of paper towl.
Now pick up the dumb bells by there one of their sides (where all the weight is)
Use the paper towl to put in between your hands and the dumb bell because most likely your hands will be sweaty.
Do in sets of 5 min.

Trust me this works..NFL linemen use this technique the strengthen their grip on the line

I read this on another forum. Can't verify it works or anything because I haven't tried it and I have shitty grip anyway so I wouldn't know what works. But anyway, for what it's worth, you use rock salt and rice in a big bowl and squeeze it hard into the palms and fingers. It's supposed to toughen up the hands.

fresh to training GI...however my grip strength is real bad and my hands fatigue...

any help with this??

Towel pull ups
fingertip push up
isometric holds
pinch grip plate curl or wrist curl with a plate.
open hand grabing a jar with sand in it.

This my favorite this strengthen the tendons and ligaments of the finger

YouTube - stiff finger time hold:

Last edited:
thumbless grip on pull ups, bors, and deads

any forearm exercise will do the trick, mixing it up is very important though. What gave the fastest boost to my grip strength was using a wrist roller I believe its called, a bar with a length of chain and a plate weight hanging from the chain, roll up the chain around the bar.

I found that doing levering with objects like a sledgehammer or the bar with a weight on the end worked good for my grip strength. I'm also gonna start doing farmers walks for holding time that's another effective exercise I've heard of for grip development.

hope these all help:

1. get a bucket and draw a line at the half or above area, fill it with water, get a towel, soak the towel in the water and then squeeze and ring out the water and try to get the water level as close as possible to your original water line

2. get a big beach size towel, hold it in front of you with both hands and attempt to roll it up, it starts out easy but as you progress, the fingers have to open and stretch more and work a lot harder to hold the roll as it gets thicker, do this twice with a big towel and you'll really feel it

3. simply, most single arm kettlebell work (swings and snatches)

4. standard grip deadlift or even just hold it at the top (not over/under grip)

let me know what you think

edit:
5. holding barbell plates with a "pinch grip"

Last edited:
Back