Best way to handle an opponent who stands very sideways?

KO By Knee

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
While I keep my stance as slim as possible a lot of people ive boxed have been more square and box like in my gym- a few times I get guys who have very very side-ways stances to mine and the punch i've had best luck with is the left hook/body hook and also parrying the jab and stepping in with a double jab to the inside- I find sliding the right hand of my opponent puts me in a good spot but I wasn't really prepared my last sparring session and I just kept missing or not finding my range/ not firing off when i've had chances. I played with the lead uppercut but it didn't seem like it would land properly.

Any advice on this?

As far as boxing, idk what to tell you man.

MMA, leg kicks all day. Right behind the knee cap.

As far as boxing, idk what to tell you man.

MMA, leg kicks all day. Right behind the knee cap.

Yep it is boxing only, MMA wouldnt be as hard kicks would help but in strictly boxing it's kinda frustrating.

Never boxed with someone like that, but it seems like it would affect the reach of their rear hand. Maybe range them out?

Im a tall guy though, so my answer is always to range them out.

edit: Wouldnt that fuck up their balance?

If they are overly bladed..

Circle their lead side and go behind-ish (sideways/behind) them on that side. Then you have a killer angle they'll have to literally run away from while they get pelted from blind shots

You may have to duck while you move/they throw, but after that they're blind and can't attack you from that angle, they can't even really defend, they're kinda screwed

---

I'm guessing the guy doing this relies on his jab a lot. When you're too bladed, you can't functionally use the rear hand at all. And from being side-on, they're smothering their own ability to do hooks (or right hands, assuming orthodox), so what they're left with is mostly jabs.

If he's got 20 inches of reach on you and you can't get in somehow (he's faster and better, basically), you can duck and bodyshot him (with a powershot, usually a right, but could be a left hook) when he jabs. He won't like that, but there's not a lot he can do if he's predictable, staying super bladed, and doing only jabs. Then you can hit upstairs after the bodyshot if you want, that's a good time to do it (but don't stand up straight after you go to the body)

----

Also, the poster above me mentioned his balance will be eff'd. If you get him he will stun, wobble, or fall down because the skateboard stance is ill-equipped for movement and/or absorbing different angles of punches. It's a very limited stance that is easy to get angles on

Last edited:
^ This.

Circle towards the lead side and your opponent's offense will be mostly limited to the jab.

The only problem with circling outside is distance. A lot of the time when you pivot, they'll duck over their right hip and hop back. It can be tough to land anything. You have to be ready to move in immediately after your pivot and stick to the guy for the best results.

The best way to get that angle in my opinion is to slip outside or parry his jab (if you parry try to push his arm across his body and keep contact with his upper left arm as you pivot). If you can bait him to step in when he throws it then you pivot, you should be able to get off a few unanswered shots.

Leg kicks all day lead to a well timed double or a catch and trip.

Possibly, but anything can be countered. Leg kicks would be a great place to start in this situation (if it wasn't just boxing).

Especially if you combine them with the advice of circling outside the lead foot. You can set them up really well that way.

If we are talking about MMA:

How about a JJ style side kick to the knee?

EDIT

4.gif

Assuming sufficient level of bossness.

Last edited:
While I keep my stance as slim as possible a lot of people ive boxed have been more square and box like in my gym- a few times I get guys who have very very side-ways stances to mine and the punch i've had best luck with is the left hook/body hook and also parrying the jab and stepping in with a double jab to the inside- I find sliding the right hand of my opponent puts me in a good spot but I wasn't really prepared my last sparring session and I just kept missing or not finding my range/ not firing off when i've had chances. I played with the lead uppercut but it didn't seem like it would land properly.

Any advice on this?

I would go southpaw trap his jab and punish him with your straight. Also in southpaw you could throw a right hook to his shoulder or arm to off balance him and then punish him with your rear hand. I'm a south paw and that's what I would try to do.

A lot of lateral movement. Especially circling toward his lead hand. Slip to the outside of his jab to set up counters. Render his power hand useless, then pick up on how he uses his lead hand.

A lead hook can surprise you, but once you give him less options, he becomes more predictable. Also, seeing as he is already turned, his lead hand should be an arm punch w/o much power. He may over commit on his power hand since the lead hand doesn't really allow for the balanced chain of striking w/ the torso twisting with each punch.

That's the best I got w/o seeing either of you or knowing abilities/tendencies. As with almost any style, there are weaknesses to exploit.

The only problem with circling outside is distance. A lot of the time when you pivot, they'll duck over their right hip and hop back. It can be tough to land anything. You have to be ready to move in immediately after your pivot and stick to the guy for the best results.

The best way to get that angle in my opinion is to slip outside or parry his jab (if you parry try to push his arm across his body and keep contact with his upper left arm as you pivot). If you can bait him to step in when he throws it then you pivot, you should be able to get off a few unanswered shots.

I'm in perfect agreement with this. It's often difficult to forcibly close the distance or take an angle, but if you can time just one of his punches correctly you're home free. I would slip the jab outside with a step of my lead foot, and then immediately take the angle by stepping forward with my right foot. From there it's left hook all day, or a short right hand to the spleen/kidneys or jaw.

I don't personally do this, but another cool trick is to parry his jab, but then stay connected to it. As you move forward, push his arm across his chest with your right hand. You'll cross his arms and keep him from countering your angle with a pivot right hand.

I'm in perfect agreement with this. It's often difficult to forcibly close the distance or take an angle, but if you can time just one of his punches correctly you're home free. I would slip the jab outside with a step of my lead foot, and then immediately take the angle by stepping forward with my right foot. From there it's left hook all day, or a short right hand to the spleen/kidneys or jaw.

I don't personally do this, but another cool trick is to parry his jab, but then stay connected to it. As you move forward, push his arm across his chest with your right hand. You'll cross his arms and keep him from countering your angle with a pivot right hand.

That second technique is exactly what I was trying to describe when I said parry the jab. I love when I can pull it off.

That second technique is exactly what I was trying to describe when I said parry the jab. I love when I can pull it off.

For some reason I have an allergy to parries. I just never feel comfortable pulling them off. I prefer to catch, block, slip, and roll. It does sound great, though, and someday I'd love to incorporate it into my inside game.

Back