best way to gain flexibility in your legs?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by DI99, Jul 25, 2010.

1. DI99

DI99 Brown Belt

just looking for suggestions for leg workouts/stretches or anything like that to gain flexibility in your legs.

ive been working on the rubber guard alot and i always use it when im rolling/doing bjj, im tall and have long legs so getting the rubber guard and maintaining the position is no problem at all. i just find that people that are alot stronger than me can posture a bit too easily and break it.

would more work on flexibility help this? or should i just work on getting stronger and better techniques to keep my opponent down better?

2. silvasurfer5253

silvasurfer5253 Purple Belt

Type it into youtube. "Stretches for Guard", or "Stretching for bjj" . I've made some huge gains in the past month. Granted I've been stretching for the past year, but my hips have opened up a lot in the past month.

3. silvasurfer5253

silvasurfer5253 Purple Belt

Also, another thing that has helped me, is when ever I encounter a position or problem while rolling, is going to youtube when I get home. The data base for bjj techniques is huge. I know some of it isn't the best, but you'd be hard pressed to find a larger collection of free technical advice. I'd look up Rubber guard positions to make sure you're applying them correctly. I know I wasn't, but when they showed the proper techniques it was easy to see where I was making mistakes (like not hugging my knee). Hope this helps.

4. s karlyle

s karlyle الجسر

IDK??? I all ways looked at the rubber gaurd as a fighting gaurd to kick some off you or keep them away.......I cant rember to many realy good subs being set up witht the rubber gaurd.....

5. DI99

DI99 Brown Belt

yeah i made that mistake too at first, my instructor told me though and now ive got it down pretty good, and i also looked at some of eddie bravo's stuff on youtube, helps alot.
    i think my biggest problem though, is that my body is naturally good for it considering i have long legs and im tall, and im using that too much to my advantage instead of working on my flexibility to make it even better

6. DI99

DI99 Brown Belt

im sure eddie bravo would disagree with that lol..
    but regardless, i never said anything about using it to set up submissions, i just said how im looking for tips on flexibility in the legs which yes could also help my rubber guard. whether its for subs or transitions or just stalling, i love using it and find it very controlling

7. DrHogan

DrHogan White Belt

Probably a stupid question but; are you sure you're doing it right?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  8. DI99

DI99 Brown Belt

the rubber guard? yes lol, im doing it right, been workin on it for a while and my instructor is pretty good at it, like i said i can get the position very easily and maintain it, so that isnt a problem, its just when strong people posture up and i eventually lose it.
    and like i also said, it could just be due to them being alot stronger and my legs not being strong enough to keep them down from posturing up, but i think some better flexibility would definitely help.
    rubber guard is just one of the examples i used for a reason i would like more flexibility, so lets keep it at that for now (tips/stretches for flexibility gain)

9. Pragmatic

Pragmatic Blue Belt

one good tip is not how your stretching but when you are stretching - do it before and after work outs for the max benefit, and make sure you stretch every day.

10. DI99

DI99 Brown Belt

i dont really workout(as for lifting weights and stuff), its kind of an on and off thing that i really need to get and stay into, but i havnt been to the gym for about a year now.
    i have mma classes 3 times a week, other than that i just run and eat good and stay in shape. but i usually stretch in the morning and at night as much as i can, or before/after a long run, and before/after mma classes ofcourse.

11. Pragmatic

Pragmatic Blue Belt

That is definitely good, other than consistency I'd recomend some variety, use google and weed through to find some stretches you haven't done before/recently and mix things up.