Best way of picking up and slamming opponent?

TommyHearns

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I mean like Matt Hughes did to Newton and others, but in the guard or open guard. Is there any way to make it easier if he is bigger and stronger than you?

All i know is to grab his wrists, bend your knees pick him up over your head and shoot your legs back and fall forward, slamming him into ground. Any ways to make it easier?

in the guard i only slam when i'm in a bad position like arm bar/triangle so i try to avoid that completely but when i have to i usually grab 1 wrist and with the other hand the back of their head bridge back a little as i stand up and fall forward ... i also like the side slam, basically go for an arm drag from standing like you're gonna take their back grab the arm by the wrist and the tricep lift them up and slam (i've found this actually often lets you pass the guard very easily as they drop their legs down almost trying to stand up to avoid the slam at that point you should be able to step over either side to half guard or side control)

alexgncw said:
in the guard i only slam when i'm in a bad position like arm bar/triangle so i try to avoid that completely but when i have to i usually grab 1 wrist and with the other hand the back of their head bridge back a little as i stand up and fall forward ... i also like the side slam, basically go for an arm drag from standing like you're gonna take their back grab the arm by the wrist and the tricep lift them up and slam (i've found this actually often lets you pass the guard very easily as they drop their legs down almost trying to stand up to avoid the slam at that point you should be able to step over either side to half guard or side control)
Thx man i didnt think of that, grabbing back of head and bridging etc. Ill try that type of lift in training.

TommyHearns said:
Thx man i didnt think of that, grabbing back of head and bridging etc. Ill try that type of lift in training.

your training partner probably wont appreciate you picking him up and slamming his ass from inside his guard

wenispinkle said:
your training partner probably wont appreciate you picking him up and slamming his ass from inside his guard
i think he was asking about mma though if not i agree slamming your training partners in bjj is not the way to go lol

another one i just remembered is when you are in closed guard and your opponent is holding your head down bear hug them and post up on one leg just above their hips that should help you stand up easily then lift and slam (this should be a hard, short slam though not above your waist usually and you gotta do it pretty fast since you leave yourself open for subs that way) ... its a good way to open up their guard though to allow for some gnp

Well no i didnt mean id try actually slamming, i just meant id practice the LIFT, not the slam lol.

lol, oh. I was like man, I'd like to have your training partner...just let me slam him all day.

Back