Best value in AR15-platform .22's?

Discussion in 'Weapons and Tactics' started by surge_factor, Jan 12, 2015.

1. surge_factor

surge_factor Purple Belt

I'm thinking for my next purchase I'd like to get an AR chambered in .22. But I don't really want to break the bank - if I wanted to spend more I'd probably just go all in and get a 5.56.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

2. Lord of Lies

Lord of Lies Brown Belt

For a .22 AR my favorite is the S&W M&P15-22.

3. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre Titanium Belt

4. D1N0

D1N0 Black Belt

For AR platforms chambered in 22, theres only 2 manufactures to consider. Colt and Smith & Wesson.

Colt is just slightly higher in price. The Smith comes in a few different variants which is cool. Magpul has a contract with them so they have the MOE furniture on one of the versions and a performance center version as well.

Cool thing about the Smith and I believe most of the Colt, is that you can change most of the parts with 556 version AR's. Stock, grip, sights, trigger, etc can all be interchanged between the S&W 22 and 556 AR rifles.

The Mossberg 715T is absolute garbage. Would never recomend it to anyone. AR style shell molded ober a reciever and barrel is all it is. Mossberg makes great Shotguns. Not good rifles.

5. Mikeydontgiva

Mikeydontgiva Brown Belt

6. Hankooks

Hankooks Stronger than you. Double Yellow Card

+ 1 on the Mossberg. They're rubbish.

I'd just get a .22 upper to swap unless a sweet deal was available for a full rifle.

Edit; Just read the op. Get a 5.56/.223 as soon as you can afford it imo. They'll never be cheaper than now. People that I ripped off on ar's just months ago won't even consider anything under 800 bucks nowadays. They claim they can build one for $450.

30rd pmags are 7-10 bucks and on clearance at some places for 5-6. Ammo is coming back. You can get a very nice rifle for a good price now if you look around just a bit. Those facebook gun swap sites are an excellent resource.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  7. RerouteToRemain

RerouteToRemain Silver Belt

Have you thought about a 10/22 with a custom chassis? They have quite a few that look like AR's.

8. GroundGameFan

GroundGameFan Brown Belt

I was looking into this as well. It's only about a $300 difference for the proper 223 AR so that's what I'm gonna do. My dad has the 15-22, and likes it. That was going to be my choice had I gone with the 22