Best uses of the Fat Bar

gazhatton

White Belt
Reaction score
Weve got a Fat Bar Barbell at our gym (nicely gathering dust as no-one touches it) and I wanted to blow the cobwebs of it. Does anyone else use one of these if so how often and whats do you use them for?

Any tips, conventional or unorthadox appreciated.

They are meant to improve grip strength. do any exercise, the heavier the better i suppose

You can do any kind of pulling exercises and shrugs and they will hit your grip. Good bar, you get more for your buck when using them.

They can also be used for pressing exercises, either for variety, or because some people find them easier on particular joints (wrists is what I hear most often, but I've also heard shoulders). Or for an axle clean and press, like in strongman.

Fat bar deads, RDLs, rows and shrugs are all good options if you want to take it easy on your posterior chain but still do something challenging.

Or, you can throw in a few sets of fat bar work at the end of a regular pull workout.

I would definitely NOT do any serious fat bar work prior to heavy sets of pull exercises, because the fat bar will fry your grip strength.

They can also be used for pressing exercises, either for variety, or because some people find them easier on particular joints (wrists is what I hear most often, but I've also heard shoulders).

I've used the fat bar to alleviate elbow pain while pressing. It seems to slightly shift the way the joints handle the weight.

I have also used it for shrugs, SLDL's, BBB deadlifting sets on the 5/3/1, and dare I say on here, curls and calf raises.

Back