Best uses of the Fat Bar

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by gazhatton, Oct 30, 2010.

1. gazhatton

gazhatton White Belt

Weve got a Fat Bar Barbell at our gym (nicely gathering dust as no-one touches it) and I wanted to blow the cobwebs of it. Does anyone else use one of these if so how often and whats do you use them for?

Any tips, conventional or unorthadox appreciated.

2. sailin on

sailin on Orange Belt

They are meant to improve grip strength. do any exercise, the heavier the better i suppose

3. wildman1717

wildman1717 Green Belt

You can do any kind of pulling exercises and shrugs and they will hit your grip. Good bar, you get more for your buck when using them.

4. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

They can also be used for pressing exercises, either for variety, or because some people find them easier on particular joints (wrists is what I hear most often, but I've also heard shoulders). Or for an axle clean and press, like in strongman.

5. flak

flak Guest

Fat bar deads, RDLs, rows and shrugs are all good options if you want to take it easy on your posterior chain but still do something challenging.

Or, you can throw in a few sets of fat bar work at the end of a regular pull workout.

I would definitely NOT do any serious fat bar work prior to heavy sets of pull exercises, because the fat bar will fry your grip strength.

6. FiveFeezy

FiveFeezy Orange Belt