Best UFC LW All-Time, That Hasn't Held The Title??

Papa Shaun

Grand Poobah
@Green
Reaction score
Had this discussion yesterday about the LW division. Who is/was the best fighter in the division that hasn't or did not hold the title during their career.

Some of the names that came up....Kenny Florian, Gilbert Melendez, Josh Thompson, Dennis Hallman (LW at one point), Caol Uno, Gomi....

I had a different vote...went for Yves Edwards....just because at the time he was fighting, there was no LW division, and he probably would have held the belt at that time.

Who do you go with??

Gil or Kenny. I'm not sure Yves Edwards could even have held the belt in the early days as he lost to Caol Uno.

Gomi, Gil, and Thomson.

I gotta go with kenflo...he had lots of chances at the title and put up a good fight each one. He is well rounded and very technical...he started at 185 lbs on TUF and his natural weight class is 145 lbs. He always tried to finish fights...and he wasn't a wrestler! Props to Kenflo for being the best 155 er non champion and non true 155 er...ever lol

Melendez, to me, hasn't looked as amazing in the UFC as I thought he would. Just sayin

It's hard to make this argument now that he lost his chin, but I would go with Gray Maynard.

Maybe not all time, but Maynard hasn't been mentioned yet. He's hitting a rough point lately but prior to that he was the second best guy in the division and was undefeated before getting stopped by Edgar.

Melendez, to me, hasn't looked as amazing in the UFC as I thought he would. Just sayin

What were you expecting? Even before the UFC he was in many close, exciting contests. And he's only had two fights.

If we are talking about best thats never held a UFC title, I would say Gomi.

In his prime he was just body bagging fools left and right. I think he was averaging 5 fights a year.

Had this discussion yesterday about the LW division. Who is/was the best fighter in the division that hasn't or did not hold the title during their career.

Some of the names that came up....Kenny Florian, Gilbert Melendez, Josh Thompson, Dennis Hallman (LW at one point), Caol Uno, Gomi....

I had a different vote...went for Yves Edwards....just because at the time he was fighting, there was no LW division, and he probably would have held the belt at that time.

Who do you go with??

Spencer Fisher

People are talking about Light weights who had good careers outside of the ufc...

best UFC LW's of all time without a belt would probably be Jim Miller with 13 wins and 3 losses at LW.

I'd say Florian, but Edwards is a good choice as well.

Clearly Nurmagomedov since he is a future champ

Could be Khabilov in the future, as good as he is, I don't see him dethroning Nurmagomedov

People are talking about Light weights who had good careers outside of the ufc...

best UFC LW's of all time without a belt would probably be Jim Miller with 13 wins and 3 losses at LW.

good pick.

Gil or Kenny. I'm not sure Yves Edwards could even have held the belt in the early days as he lost to Caol Uno.
But he gave Josh Thomson the only KO loss of his career in what was essentially an unofficial title fight.

Uno was also a beast, underrated mostly because Penn blitzed him so fast.

back before the ufc as popular.. i would say yves edwards no doubt. now it has to be kenflo

Easily Melendez.

And L O L at all this Florian crap. Yeah, a guy who has never beaten a top 10 opponent in his career ever is the best LW to never hold UFC gold...Give me a break.

Back