Best TV under $1000

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-price/under-1000

So, overall, probably this one:
TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model)
91y7-3BmUfL._SX679_.jpg

Had this and brought it back. Really bad banding on it, and didnt pop. Got the 55 inch p-series by Vizio for 699. Much happier now.

IMO Vizios only problem is the name Vizio itself. Its not as known as say Samsung, Sony,etc.

Would love to check this beauty out....
They even have a 120 inch "R series" that costs 130k lol 130k for a TV... <45>

https://www.vizio.com/r-series

IMO Vizios only problem is the name Vizio itself. Its not as known as say Samsung, Sony,etc.

Would love to check this beauty out....
They even have a 120 inch "R series" that costs 130k lol 130k for a TV... <45>

https://www.vizio.com/r-series
First vizio I have owned, so no frame of reference. I will say that I'm very happy with the picture quality. Deep blacks, and no stutter or anything. Really smooth picture, and the hdr looks higher quality than the price would have you assume. Only problems are the sound, which comes with these TVs, and it's smart features and remote. Its sluggish, and just not nearly as intuitive as the roku system from the TCL I had. The remote is also pretty garbage. Cheap feeling, and the actual button layout sucks. I hate having to go into the menu and then go into the sleep settings. Just give me a damn sleep button on the face.

Ah, just read your earlier post. Rtings.com is why I decided to try the P series. Very glad I did. Totally worth the money

Last edited:
Had this and brought it back. Really bad banding on it, and didnt pop. Got the 55 inch p-series by Vizio for 699. Much happier now.
Good to know. I knew of the Vizio P series from the VG discussions, but I figured TCL would offer some 65" in the sub-$1000 range targeting the broader market. I guess they're still working out the kinks north of 55".
Ah trolling goodbye.
Right from the link I gave you.
"Video scalers are typically found inside consumer electronics devices such as televisions, video game consoles, and DVD or Blu-ray disc players, but can also be found in other AV equipment (such as video editing and television broadcasting equipment). "
I think he's probably just accustomed to this being used for upscaling, not downscaling.

@rj144 many of the 4K TVs can downscale in order to play at a higher framerate (120Hz instead of 60Hz) which gamers and sports fans find attractive.

Good to know. I knew of the Vizio P series from the VG discussions, but I figured TCL would offer some 65" in the sub-$1000 range targeting the broader market. I guess they're still working out the kinks north of 55".

I think he's probably just accustomed to this being used for upscaling, not downscaling.

@rj144 many of the 4K TVs can downscale in order to play at a higher framerate (120Hz instead of 60Hz) which gamers and sports fans find attractive.

Usually the PC or console downscales, but the TV always upscales. For instance, the XBox One, on certain games you can choose to downscale for a higher frame rate and something like 1080 is the output of the Xbox. But, the TV upscales to 4k.

<{MingNope}>
1000 ? Even a smartphone costs more than that these days.

LG, Samsung or go home.

First vizio I have owned, so no frame of reference. I will say that I'm very happy with the picture quality. Deep blacks, and no stutter or anything. Really smooth picture, and the hdr looks higher quality than the price would have you assume. Only problems are the sound, which comes with these TVs, and it's smart features and remote. Its sluggish, and just not nearly as intuitive as the roku system from the TCL I had. The remote is also pretty garbage. Cheap feeling, and the actual button layout sucks. I hate having to go into the menu and then go into the sleep settings. Just give me a damn sleep button on the face.

Ah, just read your earlier post. Rtings.com is why I decided to try the P series. Very glad I did. Totally worth the money

I still use the touchscreen remote mine came with, as i got the 2nd gen P series before they switched over to the "regular remote." Im with you on the sleep setting which is why i like the touchscreen remote.

What my remote looks like, they sent me a regular one for free when they stopped support for the touchscreen remote.

2016%2F03%2F22%2Fb9%2Fviziopserie.678af.jpg

You are more then likely correct, Kinda made me feel like a dick lol. <45>It just pisses me off when people ignore links.

I still use the touchscreen remote mine came with, as i got the 2nd gen P series before they switched over to the "regular remote." Im with you on the sleep setting which is why i like the touchscreen remote.

What my remote looks like, they sent me a regular one for free when they stopped support for the touchscreen remote.

2016%2F03%2F22%2Fb9%2Fviziopserie.678af.jpg

You are more then likely correct it just pisses me off when people ignore links. Kinda made me feel like a dick lol. <45>

I didn't ignore the link. It merely defines downscaling. It still doesn't explain what you're talking about. You physically change your resolution to less than 1080 and take 1080 or greater and downscale it?

<{MingNope}>
1000 ? Even a smartphone costs more than that these days.

LG, Samsung or go home.
My vizio looks better than the samsung at the same price point. If you want all your rooms to have a decent tv, the money quickly adds up. Then all the devices you can add, like sound systems or bars, game systems, apple TVs and what have you. That's some cheddar.

My vizio looks better than the samsung at the same price point. If you want all your rooms to have a decent tv, the money quickly adds up. Then all the devices you can add, like sound systems or bars, game systems, apple TVs and what have you. That's some cheddar.

{<jordan}

quote-we-humans-you-see-have-an-infinite-capacity-for-self-rationalization-charles-colson-140-48-03.jpg

Usually the PC or console downscales, but the TV always upscales. For instance, the XBox One, on certain games you can choose to downscale for a higher frame rate and something like 1080 is the output of the Xbox. But, the TV upscales to 4k.
My understanding is that 4K TVs will output that natively by just outputting the 1080p image doubled, which is really just a 2x multiplier, not requiring "scaling", and that way it can handle double the frames. Obviously the pixels don't disappear, and if you only showed every other line it would create a weird optical effect. My assumption is that they probably just slave half the pixels to their corresponding pixels.

I went and looked at his comment more closely, and I see what you're probing. I'm not sure what he's talking about, there. It must be a reference to some aspect ratio mode.

My understanding is that 4K TVs will output that natively by just outputting the 1080p image doubled, which is really just a 2x multiplier, not requiring "scaling", and that way it can handle double the frames. Obviously the pixels don't disappear, and if you only showed every other line it would create a weird optical effect. My assumption is that they probably just slave half the pixels to their corresponding pixels.

I went and looked at his comment more closely, and I see what you're probing. I'm not sure what he's talking about, there. It must be a reference to some aspect ratio mode.

Maybe, but for me, it's Xbox that's doing the work doubling frame rate before it gets to the TV. The TV's upscaling algorithm won't interfere with anything. I'm almost 100% sure my TV upscales everything.

Ah trolling goodbye.
Right from the link I gave you.
"Video scalers are typically found inside consumer electronics devices such as televisions, video game consoles, and DVD or Blu-ray disc players, but can also be found in other AV equipment (such as video editing and television broadcasting equipment). "

Is this what you're talking about? From the link you posted earlier:

"Upscaling of low-quality content such as DVDs is a bit more blocky, and there is more noise, similar to the P Series 2017. This is visible when viewing DVDs.

The upscaling performance is very similar to performance the M Series 2017"

Back