Best training in Los Angeles/Westwood

Kai76

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been a lurker here for a while, lots of great info on this site. I recently moved back to westwood/los angeles and i'm looking to get into a good training program. I'm looking for a school that offers stand up and grappling/jujitsu training.

I tried using Google to find some reviews but so far i've pulled nothing. I was wondering if any of you had good or bad things to say about programs in my area. Did Krav Maga for about six months, twice a week before having to move. That was about seven years ago. I loved it, but i'm looking for something closer to Westwood/UCLA/Santa Monica. Any suggestions? I appreciate it.
Kai

i don't know what is/isn't good, but there's a TON of stuff around there that I've seen just driving around, and even more in West Hollywood/Hollywood/North Hollywood.

EDIT: I guess that's no so helpful :p What I meant was, I'm surprised you weren't able to find reviews. Is the Hollywood area just too far for you? Pretty sure there were a couple of hardcore MMA gyms there when I left in January.

I trained at the Yard in downtown for a few months before I moved out of the CA. I think they only have Muay Thai now but I highly recommend it but it may be a bit far for you.

I can't think of too many school in that area that offer both however a little farther away is Werdum's school in Marina Del Rey. In Culver City there is a place off Robertson called PKG. In the Mid-Wilshire area the new Renzo Gracie- Los Angeles school is on Wilshire.

I trained at the Yard in downtown for a few months before I moved out of the CA. I think they only have Muay Thai now but I highly recommend it but it may be a bit far for you.

Muay Thai and BJJ are still both being taught at The Yard. :)

The great thing is one gym fee pays for both (although Muay Thai is the bread & butter, you will get no-gi BJJ classes)

Training is very free-form, go at your own pace. Just there for a workout? No problem. Want to be a hardcore fighter? No problem. How hard you wanna go is at your own pace, sometimes this means you have to push yourself if you want to fight but hey, mental toughness.

COME ON DOWN FOR A FREE TRIAL CLASS!!!

And I live close to here so you can catch rides/carpool with me if you want, I'm that nice of a guy. If you're a UCLA student I believe we have a few (at least one).

The Yard Muay Thai

Hey guys,
I've been a lurker here for a while, lots of great info on this site. I recently moved back to westwood/los angeles and i'm looking to get into a good training program. I'm looking for a school that offers stand up and grappling/jujitsu training.

I tried using Google to find some reviews but so far i've pulled nothing. I was wondering if any of you had good or bad things to say about programs in my area. Did Krav Maga for about six months, twice a week before having to move. That was about seven years ago. I loved it, but i'm looking for something closer to Westwood/UCLA/Santa Monica. Any suggestions? I appreciate it.
Kai

I think the closest one I see around UCLA is Robot BJJ. They have Muay thai, BJJ etc. Its on Santa Monica, just east of Bundy. In the plaza that has El Pollo Loco. Not sure how good the training is there tho. Actually kinda curious too.

As for BJJ around UCLA;
If you go to UCLA you can train at UCLA for $45 for 8 weeks! We have 4 sections of BJJ available and over 175 students currently training weekly! Open mat times are saturdays after one of the the intermediate classes finishes at 2pm and Sunday evenings around 7pm. Check out the facebook group (BJJ @ UCLA) for more info and post on there if you want to train with others. Friday afternoons there are usually several others looking to train plus actual classes every day of the week (except Fridays and Sundays, hence the open mat times those days). Top classes are taught by Jimmy Tang a JJ Machado Black belt and came second at worlds in black belt masters last year. Lots of White, Blue and purple belts available to train with.
Otherwise, There are tons of schools within a 5 mile radius!
Off the top of my head; Robot BJJ on Santa Monica blvd (just west of the 405) in west la, run by Tim Peterson.
Rickson Gracie on Wilshire (just west of the 405)
Rigan Machado on Wilshire (just west of Rickson's, beside Cabo Cantina and look up)
Gracie Bara on Washington blvd (just east of Sepulveda) (super easy bus from Westwood)
Street Sports on Ocean Park in Santa Monica
Hollywood BJJ is now a Paragon BJJ I think.
PTC BJJ
Punch Kick Grapple (PKG)
Werdum (Venice, but easy to get to)
Way of the Warrior (Palms area on Motor, Werdum affiliate)
etc.....
Tons of schools around here! If you need more info let me know. I've trained with pretty much all of them for at least a week besides hollywood and paragon but know guys who train there.

Last edited:
Holy fukc Robot is expensive unless you sign a year contract.

What the hell are people charging for 3rd rate Muay Thai training....

Back