Best times of day to eat

Hellboy31

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So, I'm having some problems with scheduling meals. I eat breakfast around 9am and lunch around 1pm. After that, I have a very light snack around 4pm and then I'm in the gym from 5:30pm to 8:45pm.

I've been eating my last meal of the day very late (around 9pm) because I don't really like eating before I roll. I know that it's not ideal to eat so late but I don't really see an alternative. Does anyone else have this problem?

There's nothing wrong with eating late - unless you are rolling hungry, then that might be a problem. There isn't really any 'ideal' time to eat. It's what feels best/works best for the individual.

You're in the gym for over 3 hours?!?! Tell me the gym you're referring to is where you train and not where you lift. :D

As far as eating goes a schedule is entirely based on you and your body. I would probably throw a small meal in between your breakfast and lunch though.

So, I'm having some problems with scheduling meals.

Are you saying it's a problem because you are hungry, or because you are not able to achieve some underlying dietary/nutrition goal?

You're in the gym for over 3 hours?!?! Tell me the gym you're referring to is where you train and not where you lift. :D

As far as eating goes a schedule is entirely based on you and your body. I would probably throw a small meal in between your breakfast and lunch though.

My bjj club and the place I lift are directly across the street from one another :)

Are you saying it's a problem because you are hungry, or because you are not able to achieve some underlying dietary/nutrition goal?

It's more of a nutrition thing. I'm get hungry right when class starts but by the time it's over I lose my appetite. I want to make sure I'm getting enough calories but I've heard that it's bad to eat that close to the time u go to sleep. The way it is now, I usually eat about an hour before I go to bed which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I've lost about 25 lbs but still have about 7 to go. These last 7 are proving to be pretty tough so I was thinking my late night eating might be hurting me from reaching my goal.

Meal timing is not a big deal. Eat something after you work out, and most people don't perform well completely fasted (at least, not without a transition period). Other than that, eat when you want, or when you can. What you eat and how much you eat are far more important than when and how frequently you eat.

I had this same problem where I wanted to gain, eat throughout the day, and not eat before i go to the gym.

My eating schedule is this:

small breakfast at 7 ; snack until 10:30 where I have a light lunch; protein bar around noonish; lunch at 2pm ; then a Gatorade Prime before I workout at 6pm. Then, I have dinner at 9pm.

The Gatorade Prime is a good solution to being hungry, but also being unable to eat.

thanks for the feedback guys... So it sounds like 'when' isn't as important as 'what' and 'how much'. A lot of misinformation out there, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Back