Best time to train?

Well, that might be what some books says somewhere or some article on the internet, but I've never had a problem with stuffing myself to the brim and then working out an hour and a half later. I wouldn't go around telling people it's illegal to work out any sooner; because, the point of not working out on a full stomach is not getting sick. If someone feels ready to go an hour after the fact, I say go.

Madmick said:
What does it say about my lifestyle?

Which lifestyle? The lifting one or the one that involves you liking men? PWNDZ0RED!!!111

Anywho, the night time thing does suck in a way. As was touched on earlier in this thread, the whole recovery thing I would think is hampered by the inability to eat enough post workout. At least in my case, I get done with lifting about a half hour before I go to sleep. So basically I have to get in what I can. Morning would be sweet since I'd have all day to eat and recover.

HULKAMANIA said:
Uh, if you feel like you can keep it down while you workout. It's not a must.

I think it's just generally best to not train on an empty stomach. I try to eat (or drink a shake as the case may be) about an hour and a half before I go in to lift. If you go any sooner, you're likely to get nauseous.

I guess maybe I should just not, then, because I usually wake up at around 5AM to lift. I don't think I want to get up an hour and a half earlier!

hughes said:
Urban is bang on the money with both posts.

I train in the morning (about half 9), as due to work, it's either train then or not at all.

Working out in the afternoon would be good because i) you'd have decent levels of food/nutrients flowing through you by then, and ii) you'll probably have more energy as well.

Although the best time to train is the time that's best for you (oh man what a cop-out).

Agreed.

When I was trying to lose weight, I did cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

Now that I'm pretty much at my target weight, I do resistance in the morning to take advantage of the higher T-levels. Doing cardio in the afternoon after work is good because I've got the energy/fuel to push myself further and faster.

Back