1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Best Thailand Gym by de beech

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Angimation, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Angimation

Angimation White Belt

I'm serious about training but also serious about getting a much needed beach vacation. I don't want to waste my time at a lame muay thai resort getting mediocre training, but from the reviews I've read all the beachside gyms are more like farang fat camps. Anyone have a different experience overseas? I'll be going with my husband and we both have a year and 1/2 of solid training under our belts, so looking for a place with advanced instruction and good sparring.

2. gotobread

gotobread Purple Belt

What's everyone got against "farang camps"? Everyone wants to be the one and only farang at an all-Thai camp. But they also want the perks that come with training at a nicer camp.

Sinbi in Phuket certainly isn't a fat camp and there are always experienced, talented Americans, Swedes, Koreans, etc. training there, and it's within spitting distance of a few nice beaches. There are many more camps in the area (Dragon, Promthep, etc) but I've never trained at them, so I can't speak for the training there.

3. gotobread

gotobread Purple Belt

Also, this has all been covered roughly a thousand times in other threads, including the extensive "Training in Thailand" threads, one of which is stickied.

4. Angimation

Angimation White Belt

Nothing against a place that caters to foreigners, just looking for a place that won't skimp on training. And yea, read through alot of the stickied post, people were giving the most praise to camps in Bangkok, saying the beachside ones dont push you hard enough, thus my dilemma! So far Sinbi is at the top of the list... I'll check out the others mentioned. anyone know anything about horizon?

5. miko

miko White Belt

For great muay thai by the beach i'd go for Sinbi.

6. TheTruth1982

TheTruth1982 Guest

Sinbi, Jpapa, Chang gym are all great

7. snarf

snarf White Belt

this subject always makes me laugh....people always act like they are teaching some crazy finishing moves in Bangkok that you can only learn there.....if you have only been training for a half year then any gym in phuket offer more than you could ever want......the reason why they try to make them seem like fat camps is because they want to appeal to everyone especially tourists........just research, find somewhere reputable and appealing to you, and go enjoy yourself

8. TheTruth1982

TheTruth1982 Guest

It's not about "moves" you learn in Bangkok. It's about finding a camp where they have the current top ranked stadium fighters and getting in sparring/clinching with them. Those just happen to be in Bangkok.

But I agree if you're not yet a professional or established at that, Phuket is a great place to go for training and you can't beat being by the beach. The air is also shit in BKK compared to Phuket

9. Nak Muay Farang

Nak Muay Farang White Belt

She said A year and a half

10. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

I don't think you will get much out of trying to clinch or spar with currrent stadium fighters if you only have a year and a half of training.

11. TheTruth1982

TheTruth1982 Guest

How so? start with the best and you'll learn quickly. I really don't get your logic there.

why mess around and clinch with beginners when you can go straight to the top. I was clinching/sparring with the likes of Sarawut and Yodbuangarm (very highly ranked lukbanyai fighters), Nonsai, Askerov, Ramazanov, Magomedov, and other champs/ranked fighters after LESS than 6 months of muay thai training. I did have a long background in western boxing but that has almost nothing to do with Thai clinching. I was getting thrown around like a ragdoll even against the smaller thai guys. You are forced quickly to adapt this way and by doing so you learn. I'm not saying you can be competitive with them after only a year and half training, but you will make vast improvements where as clinching with a average fighter seemed easy afterwards. And natural ability might have something to do with it, but that has nothing to do with my point. ANYONE would improve faster clinching with a better clincher than they would with a lower skilled person. It's plain and simple logic

So I really don't see your logic here at all...and you are usually a pretty smart poster from what i've read in the past

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010
  12. Freddy-1234

Freddy-1234 White Belt

promthep is pretty good

13. ffejk

ffejk Blue Belt

14. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

Sure if the highly skilled fighter lets you work. I guess it depends on the person you are working with. I have seen plenty of former champs toy with farang, to the point that they learned nothing other and how to fall on the canvas. I'm sure you have seen that also... But I'll say that if the former champ lets you work and learn, then you will get a lot out of the training.

I have made better progress with clinching with someone on the same level/size as me, while having a Thai trainer stand by and point out mistakes/options.

15. gotobread

gotobread Purple Belt

Why's Bangkok even an issue here? She asked for something "by the beach".