Best takedown from the front

BillyTheKid

Outlaw for life
Reaction score
Was wondering what you think is the best way to take someone down when you are in front of them(face to face). I work in corrections and have to deal with this often. Usually we get them down to the ground and prone them out and place handcuffs on. Does size of the person matter if you going for a single leg or double leg takedown? Just curious as to your thoughts on the best way to get them to the ground via takedown .

BillyTheKid said:
Was wondering what you think is the best way to take someone down when you are in front of them(face to face). I work in corrections and have to deal with this often. Usually we get them down to the ground and prone them out and place handcuffs on. Does size of the person matter if you going for a single leg or double leg takedown? Just curious as to your thoughts on the best way to get them to the ground via takedown .

Since you are a corrections officer, the following article will provide you with 10 important BJJ techniques in your line of work.

http://www.grapplearts.com/BJJ-for-Police.htm

The article explains the importance of the clinch. Once the clinch position is obtained, a simple rear takedown or ankle trip will take your assailant to the ground.

Although I do not work in law enforcement, I participate in wrestling, Judo, BJJ, and submission wrestling and know a thing or two about double/single legs. I have found these takedowns are extremely effective in tournaments within my SAME weight. But, when I enter absolute divisions (no weight), I've found my double/single legs lacking against stronger opponents. This is not to say they don't work. It may be that ANY takedown is more difficult against stronger opponents.

Was wondering what you think is the best way to take someone down when you are in front of them(face to face). I work in corrections and have to deal with this often. Usually we get them down to the ground and prone them out and place handcuffs on. Does size of the person matter if you going for a single leg or double leg takedown? Just curious as to your thoughts on the best way to get them to the ground via takedown

Bingo, Clinching is the best way for those with limited training. Of course that being said you had best pracitice your clinchwork like crazy. You dont want to get caught ynder a 300lb guy after a failed double leg.
A clinch is a good way to trip someone to the ground.
But I highly reccomend some sort of wrestling training. For instance an ARM DRAG is great when someone reaches for you. A duckunder is terrific(both the prior moves usually end yp with you having gotten behind the guy) and a host of other techniques.

Good input guys, thank you. I can honestly say the altercations that I have been involved in that we don

Pretty much everything people here mentioned is a good idea, a good bodylock and sweep works well too, it usually puts you in mount and most of the time you can control there arms to some extent to keep from getting shived with that razored butterknife they took from the cafeteria. :mad:

In corrections, i could see a standard double leg being troublesome because your back is sort of exposed on the initial shoot if they had a shiv or something.

bull rush em with all of your fellow officers. im guessing that u probably dont have to do that yourself haha. but four men can easily overpower someone with no training

im a little curious why these seem to be one on one confrentations. dont you have partners and tazors and such? yes, grappling can make a world of difference in assault but that is mainly from a one on one point of view.

teargas, pepper spray, shock, club, out number... any of these tactics seem a good bit safer than grappling with someone likely to carry a weapon. i'd not want to be that up close and personal. bouncing is less "nasty" (no shivs usually) and they fully embrace spray and etc when needed. though some stats consider tazors illegal.

Becaue you're supposed to stop an altercation with as little resistance as possible.

"Hi officer" *goes to scratch his balls, but looks like he's grabbing for a weapon, and get's pepper sprayed in the face and shocked with some tasers*

tequilaman said:
HANDS DOWN: O-Soto Gari, the large outer reap, which is a Judo Throw. SIngles and doubles tend to work best on people relatively your own size, whereas many Judo Throws can be done dispite size difference. The O Soto Gari will put someone down in front of you with your knee in their chest.

It is one of the most powerful throws in Judo. Learn it and use it.

http://judoinfo.com/video/gokyo/OSotoGari.wmv

http://judoinfo.com/images/gokyo/5.jpg

Osoto Gari? Hmm..Will not Uchi Mata or Harai Goshi be better? There are times on the ground and me rolling with my instructor. We were like.. in a straight line, but I got under hooks, he, hooking my head. He slipped from my head n I took his back. Same thing here it seems, Osoto may slip the head. That said, I hav totally no Judo experience so take it with a grain of salt.

go to judoinfo.com and find sasae tsuri komi ashi, that is one of the best throws for your line of work also look up tai otoshi or o soto gari

In my work as a nursing assistant at psychiatric hospitals I usually go for the head throw to get people down in emergencies.
It's easy. It's a natural move. You protect the opponent's head from hitting the floor and you won't do much more than bruising your opponent and knocking the wind out of him if he's not significantly smaller than you.
You also land in a good controlling position which makes it easier to transit to other positions if the need occurs. Watch out for your own elbow getting smashed in the floor though.

thecas said:
Osoto Gari? Hmm..Will not Uchi Mata or Harai Goshi be better? There are times on the ground and me rolling with my instructor. We were like.. in a straight line, but I got under hooks, he, hooking my head. He slipped from my head n I took his back. Same thing here it seems, Osoto may slip the head. That said, I hav totally no Judo experience so take it with a grain of salt.

Uchi Mata is a hard throw to perfect and use, especially wearing boots and lots of gear. Tai Otisihi is a great throw but it's another advanced one.
My reccomendation would be O Soto Gari with the gi grip. If you are using the headlock grip and your arm slips, you can move into a Yama Arashi or (if you are off balence and going to the ground) Soto Makkikomi.
Kibisu Gaeshi (ankle trip reversal) is also a great move, as well as the wrestling knee pick.

thecas said:

Osoto is the easiest and one of the most powerful throws there are, and it can often be done with someone not realizing it is coming. For example, some tool is puffing up his chest at you standing nearly chest to chest, simply push him to his right back corner, step with your left and then sweep with your right. He'll never see it coming. YOu can do it from a variety of grips.

If you are slippping the head (I don't even know how that would happen) then you are not doing the technique correctly. And the Harai and Uchi Mata are two throws that take years to perfect, although the 3 of them together (Harai, Uchimata, Osoto) are my 3 favorite throws.

Just one questions frm a judo noob. Can Uchi mata, harai n taigoshi be done without gripping gi but his one elbow and his one armpit[under it]?

thecas said:
Just one questions frm a judo noob. Can Uchi mata, harai n taigoshi be done without gripping gi but his one elbow and his one armpit[under it]?

You MIGHT be able to pull off an Uchi Mata with an underhook and an elbow grab. But if you lose that elbow - the throw goes out the window.
Harai goshi - Yes, you can.
Tai Otishi - It is possible. In this one you don't need to use an underhook. It's hard to explain. The motion used with that hand can be used like an uppercut to the person's chin. If you're on the street, grabbing the persons throat and completing the throw would work nicely.

Soulfly said:
You MIGHT be able to pull off an Uchi Mata with an underhook and an elbow grab. But if you lose that elbow - the throw goes out the window.
Harai goshi - Yes, you can.
Tai Otishi - It is possible. In this one you don't need to use an underhook. It's hard to explain. The motion used with that hand can be used like an uppercut to the person's chin. If you're on the street, grabbing the persons throat and completing the throw would work nicely.

I am only gathering wat I know from Judo info. But isnt Tai Otoshi and Harai Goshi similar grips, just that focus is different? It looks to me Harai is mainly Hips and turning, Tai Otoshi is pulling him down. Do correct me. But I cant make sense of grabbing the throat in the latter parts.

As I do only JJ, I plan to know only a few takedowns..will mostly suffice for me.

Im guessing that you'd prefer for your 'victim' to fall on his/her/its stomach so that you can apply the handcuffs easier so I'd say just use a basic snapdown, it doesn't require much technique and it isnt too flashy its just quick and to the point.

What you do is grab your guy around the back of the head with one hand and grab his tricep with the other, simply jerk his head down and step back with your shoulder bearing down on the back of his neck, he should fall to his hand and knees were u can just put a knee in the back and get the cuffs on.

single leg, double leg, osoto gari, double underhook takedowns.... there are so many choices.

Back