Best takedown against much larger opponents?

chirpsman

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to the forum. The other day I got into a word battle with a guy who was talking shit to me at the gym, I'm 5 foot 6 and weigh about 135 and this other guy was around 6 5 and probably weighed around 200. He was talking shit to me constantly calling me a b*tch etc. I won't go into the details but it was one of those events where I went home and was pissed off that I didn't do anything about it, but what could I have done? The guy was a giant.
Anyway I am just wondering what kind of takedown would have worked on him if he did get violent, maybe a standard double leg? I have pretty strong legs for my weight and can squat 290lbs for reps, so maybe a charging double leg would have worked? An outside trip may have been possible however his legs were very built and heavy set, and it may have been a bit risky.
Any advice appreciated.

fake double, then overhand right

fake double, then overhand right
Beleive me bro, being a smaller fighter I have drilled the overhand right over and over, I am just worried about what happens if it lands and the guy is still standing, his neck was thick af and he looked as though he could take a powerful punch.
Maybe overhand right first then double leg?

Seoi-otoshi, drop-seoi, tomoe-nage, uki-goshi.

I feel like people get me with that low single where they go right above the knee joint, and I'm not curious enough to see if I can resist it.

I'm 5'10" and against someone that kind of height I'm usually looking for low singles, ankle picks, or the big wide open rolling kneebar (except in comps because whaddya mean I can't kneebah!!??).

It's really not a question anyone can answer for you though, the best anyone can do is make suggestions based on their particular knowledge and understanding of the mechanics of grappling. But the best move is the one you've consistently pulled off against fully resisting and defending opponents, and everybody is a little different. I know I do a lot of stuff people wouldn't expect to see based on my body type, height weight and attributes but I do what works for me.

At your height and weight, I guess I'd probably be looking at ways of swiftly taking the back and choking the fecker right out rather than trying to toss him on his head. But, everyone is different.

Do you have big tall guys at your gym you can roll with to experiment a bit with things that feel more natural to you right off the bat vs things that don't seem to "click"? Our gym has a wide range of body types so that's what I usually do with stuff I want to work on, just find the right meatbag to try it out on lmfao.

Wtf did you do to make a guy that big talk shit to you lol.

I wouldn't try a double unless you are ridiculously good with it/he has no training. Because he just needs to know what a sprawl is to likely crush you into the floor. I would just touch him with teh jab

Wtf did you do to make a guy that big talk shit to you lol.

I wouldn't try a double unless you are ridiculously good with it/he has no training. Because he just needs to know what a sprawl is to likely crush you into the floor. I would just touch him with teh jab

Only double I'd throw up against an oak tree like that would be the one where your shoulders hit in front of his ankles, and your hands pull in behind. Real low, like a low single low, John Smith low, but blasting straight ahead into both legs.

Beleive me bro, being a smaller fighter I have drilled the overhand right over and over, I am just worried about what happens if it lands and the guy is still standing, his neck was thick af and he looked as though he could take a powerful punch.
Maybe overhand right first then double leg?
Overhand without a setup can be seen from a mile away, unless you have him strapped to a chair

Its a gym so...Overhand + 2-5lb pink dumbbell. Or set him up by getting him to stand in front of a bench, push him over, then work from there. Then give him an ipad

Only double I'd throw up against an oak tree like that would be the one where your shoulders hit in front of his ankles, and your hands pull in behind. Real low, like a low single low, John Smith low, but blasting straight ahead into both legs.

cutttin the corner works really well on big dudes as theyre top heavy and not very hip-mobile. i have to play a lot of guys heavier but shorter than me and used to abuse treetop single -> inside trip before they banned it in judo.

cutttin the corner works really well on big dudes as theyre top heavy and not very hip-mobile. i have to play a lot of guys heavier but shorter than me and used to abuse treetop single -> inside trip before they banned it in judo.

Nice :)

Some of the wrestling advice makes me cringe. Trying to tie up and judo throw someone who is 8 inches taller and 75lbs bigger is just fucking terrible advice. Same with double legs. Why on earth would you decided to go right into the power of someone who is much more powerful than you?

When you are wrestling someone who is bigger by a huge margin, you have to think of two things:
How to avoid power and length, and how to attack in a way that forces them to move themselves into a takedown position.

Using fakes and misdirections coupled with moves like low singles, sweep singles, super ducks, double to cut down, and duck unders are the best because they address both things you need to focus on to take down drastically bigger guys.

Now, me personally, when I wrestle bigger guys, including HS and college wrestlers, I hang in there and just hand fight and I dont shoot. I do this because I am going to be physically stronger in wrestling positions because I am more efficient and have better positioning. Most people dont have that luxury against way bigger guys, so you have to stay away from their power and make them physically move themself into danger.

Overhand without a setup can be seen from a mile away, unless you have him strapped to a chair

Its a gym so...Overhand + 2-5lb pink dumbbell. Or set him up by getting him to stand in front of a bench, push him over, then work from there. Then give him an ipad

You said that an overhand without setup can be seen from a mile away, so how about faking a jab to the body and then throwing the overhand?

You said that an overhand without setup can be seen from a mile away, so how about faking a jab to the body and then throwing the overhand?
He has to respect your hands for feints/fakes to work, if he thinks your strikes are the same as getting touched by his wife each night, it won't work. Sell it well.

Why on earth would you decided to go right into the power of someone who is much more powerful than you? .

I know it sounds like a bad idea however the double leg is the quickest takedown imo and the least easy to see coming. If I hit him with enough power quick enough it may already be too late for him to sprawl or defend, and catch him off guard.

At your height and weight, I guess I'd probably be looking at ways of swiftly taking the back and choking the fecker right out rather than trying to toss him on his head. But, everyone is different.

Best way of quickly taking the back standing?
Also if I have his back standing, would it be a good idea to just jump and throw my hooks in and look for the rnc?

Back