Best submission moves?

vision1 said:
I'm a complete noob with no experience of martial arts so sorry if this is a bad question.

But if all joint locks hurt and can result in lasting damage, wouldn't you be better off just tapping out instead of trying to fight it? You either lose a fight, or have a chance of an injury that would affect your future career.

I'm also sorry for going off topic
ofcourse. thats why only idiots with big egos don't tap.

but if you're talking about trying to roll out of an ancle lock or escaping an armbar, then you're a bit off. you tap when you feel you have to. james thompson said "when you're caught and youre thinking should i tap? you shouldnt, not then. when you have to tap you know it, you dont think about it. its an automatic response".

i've yet to tap someone from a gi joke. i think that'll make me happiest. prob cuz you have to occupy his mind with thoughts of something else while sinking the grip

Personally, my two never-fail submissions are the triangle choke and the toehold. You can apply both of these submissions from virtually any position. Same goes for the kimura and the arm bar pretty much, but I'm not as good at these as I am the first two.

Triangle, I can apply from bottom guard, bottom north/south, top mount, top sidemount. And there's lots of set-ups from guard.

Toehold, you can apply standing in the open guard, in a leg lock position after a failed straight ankle lock or heel hook, in a kneebar position, in the sidemount, head to head with him in the turtle position, in a sort of north/south position where your legs are triangled around his body, standing while defending a single leg takedown, in a broken half guard... it's an extremely fast acting leg lock, and because of the figure-4 grip I feel it's the most solid leg lock there is.

Kimura is definitely one to master because it's also an excellent control technique.

Neck cranks, you're probably better off using only if your life was threatened. People worry a lot about leg locks, I worry way more about neck cranks. One second you'll be thinking "Hey, I'm fine," and then the next "Cr-cr-crack!" I've had that happen to me a couple of times. It totally sucks. You can't move your neck at all for 5 or 10 minutes, and it hurts for a week or so afterwards.

We are talking about the street, right? I think Judo has to be one of the best street self defense arts out there. Imagine hitting O-Goshi, Uchi Mata, even Osoto or Ouchi Gari on pavement, or the floor of a night club, or wherever, against someone with absolutely no ukemi. That right there spells disaster, forget if you decide to follow up with ude garami.

Iceman5592 said:
We are talking about the street, right? I think Judo has to be one of the best street self defense arts out there. Imagine hitting O-Goshi, Uchi Mata, even Osoto or Ouchi Gari on pavement, or the floor of a night club, or wherever, against someone with absolutely no ukemi. That right there spells disaster, forget if you decide to follow up with ude garami.

Is the Ukemi so salvaging? I think the amount of damage done arises mostly from the thrower. Ukemi lessens a bit but not, say, 50% of the force. I give it 25%[not counting throws where you land on the head]

vision1 said:
I'm a complete noob with no experience of martial arts so sorry if this is a bad question.

But if all joint locks hurt and can result in lasting damage, wouldn't you be better off just tapping out instead of trying to fight it? You either lose a fight, or have a chance of an injury that would affect your future career.

I'm also sorry for going off topic

awwww what a polite newb :redface:

Back