Best sub grappler out of:

Escabar

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Who do you think is the best submission grappler out of the following?
1. Mario Sperry
2. Rickson Gracie
3. Dean Lister
4. JJ Machado
5. Marcelo Garcia

how can u have machado after lister just beat him 8-0 even if there was a weight advantage

I'd say Garcia

sIcKnEsS said:
how can u have machado after lister just beat him 8-0 even if there was a weight advantage

I'd say Garcia

WEll, if you were to talk about recent losses, Jacare made Garcia look like a white belt. But out of that list Garcia is the best. Rickson doesn't even compete, Sperry didn't do so well in 03, Lister is good but doesn't compete too often, and Machado is getting old.

sIcKnEsS said:

I'd say Garcia

he had alot less time to perpare for that match then lister as he replaced arona who pulled out late. Plus he had been inactive for quit a long period of time before that match.

Marcelo definitely if all the other contenders at his level arent mentioned.

Escabar said:
he had alot less time to perpare for that match then lister as he replaced arona who pulled out late. Plus he had been inactive for quit a long period of time before that match.

Wrong, Machado was in training cuz he was going to be in the tournament. Same weight class as Marcelo. It had been rumored that they were going to match them together in the first round.

Lobo said:
Wrong, Machado was in training cuz he was going to be in the tournament. Same weight class as Marcelo. It had been rumored that they were going to match them together in the first round.
I would have rather seen that than Lister Machado. I'm not gonna comlain though, 2005 ADCC was great anyway.

Oh, and I would also have to say that Garcia is the best of the list. I'd go as far as saying that Garcia is definitly top 10 of all sub grappling competitors if not top 5. Lister would be up there too, but has he even competed since ADCC? I don't know.

In their prime? Potential?

Overall, I say Garcia.

It's been a while since I've seen the Gracies in Action videos... Has anyone seen any footage of Rickson in strait no-gi/sub-grappling matches? Why'd ya pick the people on this list?

Sakuraba. Yeah, he was the invisible number six on that list.

These guys are all of (1) different eras, (2) weight classes, (3) gi vs. no gi, etc.

Impossible to compare for sure. But I think pure grappling, more BB's have said that Rickson is hands down the best.

Back