Best style for takedown defense?

while your in korea start judo,some of the best judo in the world. just becareful what school you choose as ive heard some korean schools can be very rough.

Knox, you would consider Coleman more of a folkstyle than freestyle guy?

Also I feel you're focusing more on takedown and control, when this guy is more interested with staying on his feet.

Well As can be the case for an US wrestler they all started with folk but you are right he hardly displays the control on the mat of a good Folk wrestler.

As for part II you are right, I typed that in a hurry before work.

I guess what I SHOULD say is in Greco, freestyle and Judo the competition rules make working on the mat not worth the risk/reward. In Folk escapes i.e. getting back up or reversals are encouraged and obviously BJJ focuses on finishing on the ground.

Anyway on the topic of judo TDD,

What other sport can do an exciting highlight of only TDD

YouTube - Impossible judo

well people won't be trying to take him down like that in MMA

wrestling is more single/doubleleg focused just like MMA, and the sprawl deals with that

wrestling is more single/doubleleg focused just like MMA, and the sprawl deals with that

Word...sprawl is good.

But don't limit yourself to one kind of tdd. For me, sprawling has always been the most instinctual defense. I practice it, but have needed much less practice than other counters.

I alwasy get wierd looks the way I stand fairly upright when I grapple. It's not just from my Judo background, but if I'm going against a wrestler/BJJer I literally feel no fear from their takedown game. Typically, the only type of takedown you have to worry about is the single/double leg. And if that's really all I need to worry about, then an upright, natural posture is going to put you in the best position to move at angles.

There is no sprawling in Judo? probably not in the near future with the newer rules, i could say that the sprawl in judo needs to be much more quick because of the upright position, i have been faceplanted from feints before.

YouTube - Judo 2000 Sydney: Tadahiro Nomura (JPN) - Manolo Poulot (CUB) [-60kg].

take this example, at how nomura deals with an amazing double leg by poulot.

I could bring much more examples, but in the end, the sport where one takedown means a lose and that you can be grabbed from pretty muc anywhere its going to develop the best ability to avoid that.

Word...sprawl is good.

But don't limit yourself to one kind of tdd. For me, sprawling has always been the most instinctual defense. I practice it, but have needed much less practice than other counters.

I alwasy get wierd looks the way I stand fairly upright when I grapple. It's not just from my Judo background, but if I'm going against a wrestler/BJJer I literally feel no fear from their takedown game. Typically, the only type of takedown you have to worry about is the single/double leg. And if that's really all I need to worry about, then an upright, natural posture is going to put you in the best position to move at angles.

Yeah I also stand fairly straight up to not limit my offense, in judo much more defensive:redface:

There is no sprawling in Judo? probably not in the near future with the newer rules, i could say that the sprawl in judo needs to be much more quick because of the upright position, i have been faceplanted from feints before.

YouTube - Judo 2000 Sydney: Tadahiro Nomura (JPN) - Manolo Poulot (CUB) [-60kg].

take this example, at how nomura deals with an amazing double leg by poulot.

I could bring much more examples, but in the end, the sport where one takedown means a lose and that you can be grabbed from pretty muc anywhere its going to develop the best ability to avoid that.

but turtling which is very common in judo is pretty bad in BJJ and MMA

Heck in bjj it is better to land under the guy in side control, he only gets two points, if you turtle and he backmounts you that is another 4! with 4 more close by

Think of it like this.

Wrestling will keep it standing so you can use your muay thai

But BJJ will defend you when you are taken down (submission defence/strike defence).

I think this summed it up perfectly man. A little cross-training in both will really help you out with your game.

but turtling which is very common in judo is pretty bad in BJJ and MMA

Heck in bjj it is better to land under the guy in side control, he only gets two points, if you turtle and he backmounts you that is another 4! with 4 more close by

Um, Nomura didn't turtled up, he managed to escape quite cleanly.

Word...sprawl is good.

+1 on this

Um, Nomura didn't turtled up, he managed to escape quite cleanly.

yes of course it happens, they even got enough reel for a highlight of similar maneuvers but (and my base is judo) wrestling is the safest bet to just develop good tdd aka sprawl

Thanks for all the comments, this is much more advice than I expected! Would anyone be able to explain the sprawl to me in a little more depth?

Back