Best striker, Best BJJ guy of all time?

I don't think that's a relevant reason if Maia or anyone with top level grappling fought fedor he would get tapped just like he did.

fedor-aoki3.jpg

fedor-aoki4.jpg

This is true, but Fedor wasn't really in his prime at the time. I know this is a controversial opinion, but ive seen him fight for a long time and he's never looked as bad on the ground as he did in the last few years. Brett Rogers sweeped him, Hendo escaped from under him easily, BF held him down with ease.

Its a big accomplishment still, but that alone does not put him above Big Nog imo

Fedor often looked he is in trouble in fights even on ground but he always found a way. He gave his back to Coleman, Randleplex even Hongman choi got him side mounted.

I don't think that's a relevant reason if Maia or anyone with top level grappling fought fedor he would get tapped just like he did.

Maia would probabley have been KOed by the punch Fedor landed.

Best striking: Anderson makes anyone who strikes with him look like like they don't belong.

Best BJJ: Jacare, I've heard he beat Werdum and is 2-1 against Maia in BJJ competition.

striking: Anderson and Cro cop

bjj: big nog

Striking: Cro Cop/Anderson
BJJ: Big Nog

Cro Cop and Big Nog are not nescessarily the best and most definitely not the most accomplished in striking and jiu jitsu competition but in my opinion they are the most accomplished ones in MMA.

Striking: Silva
BJJ: Although I really don't like him and he's only had some "success" G-Sots is an awesome BJJ grappler.

Everything is spot on except the part in bold imo. Even Nog in his prime was not unsubmittable. Barnett had him with that kneebar when he was still relatively close to the height of his career and in terms of pure offensive submission power I'd say Mir is on par with Barnett.

I don't know if I see Mir getting subbed by anybody, more realistically 03 Nog would outpoint him to a decision. Possibly he might catch him with something late, as Mir's gas tank is (oddly enough, considering how long he's been in the game) somewhat untested, but I think you're selling Mir a little short here due to a couple of bad losses he's had.

You think Nog is incapable of subbing Mir then? Because all my statement said was that Nog in his prime was capable of it. The only heavyweight that I can think of that Nog would not have been capable of submitting was Werdum. In BJJ terms I view Werdum as a clear level above Nog, or obviously Mir.

I pick Nog for MMA BJJ because of his track record, although Werdum's probably more skilled. Maia's right there as well, but his whole game isn't (or wasn't when Nog was in top form) on the level of Nog, so he can't show it as much. Mir is also high on the list, as is Barnett (I'll lump him in there despite his catch background). Also Fedor despite his Sambo base. Marcelo Garcia and Roger Gracie are probably more skilled, but they haven't done much in MMA.

Striking, it's tougher. Again, Cro Cop and Anderson based on resume. Overeem is better, the best, but...you get it. Same for Hunt. Rutten is high as well. And Aldo, Ludwig and Hominick. Aldo has the results, so he's in the elite class.

You think Nog is incapable of subbing Mir then? Because all my statement said was that Nog in his prime was capable of it. The only heavyweight that I can think of that Nog would not have been capable of submitting was Werdum. In BJJ terms I view Werdum as a clear level above Nog, or obviously Mir.

Maybe, it would depend on how Mir's gas tank held up under the 10-minute first round. Like I said Nog could maybe catch him with something late if his stamina isn't there, we know Nog wouldn't have ever gassed back then.

If it's pure submission skill vs. pure submission skill I don't think Nog submits Mir. Takes him down and dominates positioning? Probably. He did it to Josh Barnett so I don't see how Mir would've stopped him from doing so. But if a submission comes it will likely be due to fatigue and that's not to say we know for sure that Mir couldn't have handled a hard 20 minute fight with Nog without gassing.

Striking: Andy. By far.

BJJ: Big Nog

That is just based on results. I know guys like Werdum are better at pure BJJ than Nog, but Nog has the best resume pertaining to MMA.

fc140fmirsubmitanog.gif

Back