Best Street Self Defense BJJ Instructional?

I feel like the gracie combatives curriculum is out of date and a bit simplistic. It is better to train a striking and grappling art than simply gracie combatives. At least this was my expierence.

I ended up using what I learned in judo and ,karate to much greater effect when rolling in the gjj ckass.

Mario Sperry's first set

It should be cheap by now

Last edited:
Not sure if there are a DVD series, but also check out some of the Valenete brothers, Pedro sauer and recent Rickson Gracie interviews where they show some SD BJJ. oh and kurt O has a good SD video on YT.

I'm mostly looking for a safe guard, in case I ever get in such situation. Gracies did interesting stuff with block punch stages in the guard.
Do you guys think that the Rubber Guard is safer than the closed guard, from punches?

If you want guard material, I'd recommend looking at MMA instructionals. I posted this a while ago for someone looking for MMA closed guard material.

[YT]PGlLGc8zTbc[/YT]
[YT]zQNb6y-B_nc[/YT]
[YT]8nD2Goq33yw[/YT]

Melanson elaborates on these concepts in his book, including a lot of Williams guard material.
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Tri...&qid=1436283600&sr=8-1&keywords=neil+melanson

51nbY6G%2BgmL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Nogueira's book has a lot of material on closed guard for MMA, with specific instruction on dealing with gloves and using strikes to set up submissions.
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Guard/dp/B008SLZ1YI

51iaJ8f47tL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it. I got Mario Sperry's Vale Tudo series, it does look good. I am really surprised there are not more street self defense bjj instructionals around.
I also found some older videos of some Carvalho dude, but the techniques he presented look really outdated, and frankly not so convincing.
I'm mostly looking for a safe guard, in case I ever get in such situation. Gracies did interesting stuff with block punch stages in the guard.
Do you guys think that the Rubber Guard is safer than the closed guard, from punches? I know it requires great flexibility though.

Just use the Williams guard. You don't need the same flexibility and it immobilises them just as well but leaves you better able to attack.

If you want guard material, I'd recommend looking at MMA instructionals. I posted this a while ago for someone looking for MMA closed guard material.

Thanks, Williams guard looks safe indeed. It doesn't require special flexibility. It seems there are couple of possible submissions from there, although no much hip movement. I will try to get his 3 set Dvd.
I really like Minotauro, but somehow he receives too much punishment when in the closed guard.

Straight Blast Gym Functional JKD 1 was pretty self-defense specific.

i doubt guard will work on a real street self defense scenario where you get mugged or something. It may work on a street fight situation just like how the gracies did it where there is a signal where the fight may start. IMO you are better off boxing/Striking control the distance where you can be stabbed and run as fast as you can

i doubt guard will work on a real street self defense scenario where you get mugged or something. It may work on a street fight situation just like how the gracies did it where there is a signal where the fight may start. IMO you are better off boxing/Striking control the distance where you can be stabbed and run as fast as you can

Of course, being on top is much better, but you never know what will happen. You can get knocked down, you can slip and fall, etc. It's better to know how to defend yourself from the back.

Of course, being on top is much better, but you never know what will happen. You can get knocked down, you can slip and fall, etc. It's better to know how to defend yourself from the back.

closed guard wise i think what anyone in a street situation is both foot on the hips push, technical standup and run! submission is for drunkards who are out of control

closed guard wise i think what anyone in a street situation is both foot on the hips push, technical standup and run! submission is for drunkards who are out of control

Infact I do believe it's quite possible to pull a submission like triangle or an armbar on untrained person easily in a street fight, but it's just important not to "eat" a punch and possibly get KO-ed for the time being. I agree with you that pushing to stand up is also good strategy.
I am a big dude, I doubt I will ever have to use the guard in a real life situation, but you never know... Fight is unpredictable. Better to be prepared for the worse case scenario.

Infact I do believe it's quite possible to pull a submission like triangle or an armbar on untrained person easily in a street fight, but it's just important not to "eat" a punch and possibly get KO-ed for the time being. I agree with you that pushing to stand up is also good strategy.
I am a big dude, I doubt I will ever have to use the guard in a real life situation, but you never know... Fight is unpredictable. Better to be prepared for the worse case scenario.

yeah but fight is different from self defense. Self defense is avoidance of the fight and evasion. i guess you can also do a quick sweep, some soccer kicks to any part then run. Or Bite in a closed guard or eye gouge since anything can happen id choose the illegal techniques over subs

Bas Rutten. Google his self defense videos.

Bas is great but I'm not sure I'm looking for that exactly. I'm more interested in pure bjj street self defense guard.

yeah but fight is different from self defense. Self defense is avoidance of the fight and evasion. i guess you can also do a quick sweep, some soccer kicks to any part then run. Or Bite in a closed guard or eye gouge since anything can happen id choose the illegal techniques over subs

Maybe you are right, dirty fighting is an option. Still, I'm gonna explore Williams guard and work more on my closed guard. I can carry a gun, or a knife :) but I love bjj so much and I want to feel confident that those techniques will work in a real fight. Maybe I'm too idealistic lol

Maybe you are right, dirty fighting is an option. Still, I'm gonna explore Williams guard and work more on my closed guard. I can carry a gun, or a knife :) but I love bjj so much and I want to feel confident that those techniques will work in a real fight. Maybe I'm too idealistic lol

Its good whatever guard you want, just realize your opportunities and confidence comes from regular sparring there is no secret to that, there is no secret move just spar and tap and spar and tap.

Back