Best Street Self Defense BJJ Instructional?

BJJChess

Rock&Roll forever BABY
@Yellow
Reaction score
Can someone suggest me any good pure BJJ Street self defense instructional video other than Gracie Combatives? I have Gracie Combatives and I really like it, but I would love to see some others.

go on youtube and you can find some old gracie dvd's with helio and blue belt rener and purple belt ryron demonstrating moves

theres also a dvd with royce and rorion demoing moves

go on youtube and you can find some old gracie dvd's with helio and blue belt rener and purple belt ryron demonstrating moves

theres also a dvd with royce and rorion demoing moves
Most of that Gracie self defence crap is borderline TMA in terms of usefulness.

Honestly there are very few BJJ instructionals geared towards self defense rather than pure grappling. Despite all the crap that Rener and Ryron get, much of it deservedly, they are skilled and experienced instructors, and the Gracie Combatives DVDs might actually be your best bet for that. This is one of the few situations for which I would recommend that series.

The Mario Sperry vale tudo dvds.

Bas Rutten. Google his self defense videos.

The gun / club disarm is pretty crap, but i'd say all of the other techniques are very effective... ex; headlock defense, bearhug defense with arms in and out.. shirt grabs, throat grabs .. the techniques work, i've trained them with fully resisting partners

Man, my next door neighbor just got fucking mangled last week by a crazy homeless guy they were letting stay there. Got his face beat in, both eyes blacked badly, got his eyes gouged, got rape choked (two handed). He had a lot of shotokan training, and it was that little karate choke break that saved his ass. He really wishes he just knew how to grapple, at this point. I can't see self defense techniques without actual training to get the muscle memory getting you ready for a nutcase.

Why would they let a crazy homeless guy stay with them lol? He didn't need grappling he needed common sense.

Why would they let a crazy homeless guy stay with them lol? He didn't need grappling he needed common sense.

He was probably an obama voter, give him some slack. He's getting ready for hillary, he doesn't have time to train grappling or use common sense

My sentiments exactly. And the guy will probably never get in trouble, he'll just get out of town for 6 months or a year, come back when shit cools down. Cops were pretty useless, too. My poor neighbor is scared shitless now. FWIW, the people that live there (there are four living at the house) had known this POS for a couple of years, and worked with him, and he was never known as a violent person. He just flipped his wig all at once.

That said, bums, speed freaks, and thieves do not get onto my property, period.

He was probably an obama voter, give him some slack. He's getting ready for hillary, he doesn't have time to train grappling or use common sense

I think he's voting for Trump, now. He's keeping pepper spray and a mag-lite on him at all times, now. I told him, dude, just get a fucking gun. This is Texas. Just shoot the guy. You'll get off.

Yes. The Gracie Combatives series includes everything functional from the Rorion/Helio sets, while omiting the TMA-style "self-defense" moves and providing superior technical instruction.

The Mario Sperry vale tudo dvds.

Yes. Sperry provides good info on theory and mindset as well as techniques.

Came here to say this. Also, the entertainment value alone is well worth the price.

[VIMEO]35730660[/VIMEO]

Bit of a detour, but has anyone watched or bought the Vale Tudo 3 series? Just browsing around and there is apparently a series 3, but unable to find it anywhere.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it. I got Mario Sperry's Vale Tudo series, it does look good. I am really surprised there are not more street self defense bjj instructionals around.
I also found some older videos of some Carvalho dude, but the techniques he presented look really outdated, and frankly not so convincing.
I'm mostly looking for a safe guard, in case I ever get in such situation. Gracies did interesting stuff with block punch stages in the guard.
Do you guys think that the Rubber Guard is safer than the closed guard, from punches? I know it requires great flexibility though.

Gracie Combatives hands down IMO.

Do you guys think that the Rubber Guard is safer than the closed guard, from punches? I know it requires great flexibility though.

As much as people make fun of it, it doesn't pass the Helio filter. If you want self defense, you want something that the biggest part of the population can start using on day 1 of training. If it requires flexibility, then a lot of people can't use it day 1.

I remember a very good one by De La Riva... it was in VHS... called Ultimate Briga de Rua. Very very good.

The old Machado one filmed for Japan is one of the best.

Also, some of my early Combat Jujitsu stuff on Ehow on youtube still holds up, I found a playlist that had them all listed someone made the other night.

All that kinda stuff is basic building blocks to learn, then become more alive explosive free flowing etc as you progress

The old Machado one filmed for Japan is one of the best.

Also, some of my early Combat Jujitsu stuff on Ehow on youtube still holds up, I found a playlist that had them all listed someone made the other night.

All that kinda stuff is basic building blocks to learn, then become more alive explosive free flowing etc as you progress

But, what if you're attacked by an actual wolf man? What would you do then?

why on earth would I teach you all how to take out me and my Guru Lycanthrope brotherhood?

Our time is coming as the Universe realigns

Back