Best Stand-up Systems

the style thats best is the one you choose and then work your ass off to properly understand how to use the art in a real situation.
in otherwords hardwork is key.

This x100000. The most important thing in a fighting style is that you've trained it a lot. A week of Death Touch Fu won't help you against someone who's seriously trained almost any style.

I used to be on the whole dirty tricks thing. But think about it, if you strike someone in the throat, and he dies, your fucked. If you blind someone, your fucked. If you bust someone up, worst case senerio, you get a slap on the wrist.

^^^ this, some sensible shit.

self defence is about self preservation. getting 10 years inside for killing someone and spending all your days fighting off rapists aint self preservation. you will need all your deadly skillz then...

the style thats best is the one you choose and then work your ass off to properly understand how to use the art in a real situation.
in otherwords hardwork is key.
for me i like muay thai and silat puttani but im biased as i do them.

So true.
It's better to be a master of one thing than a jack of all trades.

Unless you're an aspiring MMA fighter, I still think it's better to Master one art then to suck in multiple arts.

KRAV MAGA

You can't train to the highest levels without joining the Israeli Secret Service, but from what I've seen of it, it's the only one I know of the actively incorporates, the various illegal manuvers your talking about. If you look into more traditional stand up styles along with it I can see it turning someone into some kind of crippling machine.

It's also one of the only ones I know of that includes self defense against firearms.

This.

mma fighter needs a strong base art to build on, without a strong foundation to build upon the structure will not be stable

I think the two things that are re-occuring here is

Aliveness in training and Progressive resistance/stress inoculation.

Predetermined 3 step sparring only works whilst working within those specific techniques. Yes it is good to DRILL, but this is not fighting. 'Techniques' need to be intergrated in a live environment. You need to learn when something doesn't work as well as when it will.

Progressive resistance. Let's face it, some skills take time to build, and you need to work at a pace where you can work at it. Once you've got it down, add more resistence and progressively add more as you get better until you can work it under full resistence.

So I would say it's the training methodolgy of the gym/studio/dojo rather than the art that is important for SD training.

Things that fit this bill for me are

Crazy Monkey Defense Program (but I am completely biased on this)
Boxing
Muay thai
MMA (not amateur rules - getting punched in the face changes everything)
BJJ (but with the emphasis being SD and encorporating strikes)

I haven't trained Kali etc so I can't comment.

^^ above is correct, you cant learn to swim without getting wet

Back