Best stance and striking style for mma

I guess all boxers who got caught by overhand rights weren't boxers then.

Hell, Tyson might created a few Taekwondoists and I didn't even know it.

He lacks boxing though. The way he keeps his hands down, the sloppiness of his hands (rashad fight), his lack of combos and his movement is an indication that he needs to improve his boxing.

He lacks boxing though. The way he keeps his hands down, the sloppiness of his hands (rashad fight), his lack of combos and his movement is an indication that he needs to improve his boxing.

You don't even know what you're talking about. Do you think his karate is a ground style? Are you saying he doesn't know what he's doing when he's standing up? What was sloppy about his hands in the Rashad fight? He couldn't get hit, and he hit Rashad hard enough to KO him.

His karate may not be perfect but it works.

EDIT: Oh, and do you know what I mean by "his karate may not be perfect"? I don't mean he can make it better if he adds some boxing or something, I mean his karate could be even better.

I guess it depends on your striking style. Assuming you don't want to go to the ground, outside is best. Inside will put you within easy clinch/grabbing range. IMO, stick to the outside, and use smart defensive striking while staying light on your feet so as to get out quickly. If you can use them unpredictably (as in faking and changing targets) kicks are excellent for maintaining range.

Karate =/= Karate

Karate#1

Karate#2

Karate#3

Karate#4

Karate#5

Karate#6

Karate#7

Karate#8

Which one do you mean? Its not as if there is ONE kind of karate.

The classic MMA stance is pretty squared off, similar to how a kickboxer stands. You don't want to be too sideways, or you'll be an easy target for singles and leg kicks; conversely, you don't want to be too square because you'll be easier to hit and won't be able to put enough power into your strikes. You want to be on the balls of your feet, preferrably with your back heel off the ground, with your knees slightly bent, and obviously chin tucked/ hands up.

I guess it depends on your striking style. Assuming you don't want to go to the ground, outside is best. Inside will put you within easy clinch/grabbing range. IMO, stick to the outside, and use smart defensive striking while staying light on your feet so as to get out quickly. If you can use them unpredictably (as in faking and changing targets) kicks are excellent for maintaining range.

Kicks are excellent for getting taken down too. Unless you're explosive like aldo, you're going to get taken down.

You don't even know what you're talking about. Do you think his karate is a ground style? Are you saying he doesn't know what he's doing when he's standing up? What was sloppy about his hands in the Rashad fight? He couldn't get hit, and he hit Rashad hard enough to KO him.

His karate may not be perfect but it works.

EDIT: Oh, and do you know what I mean by "his karate may not be perfect"? I don't mean he can make it better if he adds some boxing or something, I mean his karate could be even better.

It was a matter of time until someone exposed Machida's style. Rashad was too gunshy and tentative.

If anything he needs to change his karate style .He needs to drop the "keeping it real" and get with the program. I don't like Shogun at all, but he has learned from his weakness and is twice the striker than he was in PRIDE.

I agree that he needs to crosstrain in boxing, and he already is. There is no shame in that, every striker crosstrains in the fine art of western boxing, Muay Thaists first and foremost. Hell, modern MT is the direct result of western boxing's influence on a VERY VERY different style to today's MT.

Sam Greco is infinitely better than Shogun in all areas and didn't have half his success, other than a biased bullshit judge. He got his leg kicks countered. Shogun added a Savate guard and the whole building of Machida's style crumbled. Proper boxing would have capitalized on Shogun's defensive posture and won the first fight.

That being said, Shogun's counter only exposed Machida's lack of balls/heart (look at the bitch face he makes when he finds out he can get hit) and inferior strategic planning, and I say that being a major fan. He had never got caught with that gyaku zuki before because he had the deai perfectly figured out, used it strictly for counters and didn't fall for feints. Shogun's first perfomance and all the pressure made Machida crap his pants and do the wrong thing in every single aspect of the fight. The threat of leg kicks worked perfectly to take him out of his game and comfort zone. He circulated to the wrong direction from start to finish, gave the esgrima (sorry, don't know the english term) on the ground twice, a mistake the worst blue belt should have never made; and, finally, coming back to topic, not only did he fall for Shogun's feint (he doubly anticipated either a leg kick, based on former exhcanges, or a left -- look how he tries to grab Shogun's left with that crazy Shotokan block he uses), he telegraphed the gyaku zuki a mile away by following it after the knee. He used that combo several times.

The first silly mistake was playing the agressor, and he commited a host of others on top of it.

The best stance (and style) for MMA is a commitment between what fits you and your circumstances. Maybe you'd love to become the first Shukokai Karateca to win a big belt outside of kickboxing, but how good is the gym nearby your house? Same for every style, popular or not. What fits you is about trying many different things out, knowing your inborn strengths and weaknesses, and realizing what prices you are paying for the benefits of each choice. A long Shotokan or Chuck Liddel-ish stance will make TDD at least three times easier, but can you keep up with the enormous stress of mastering its proper mechanics and conditioning while learning good checking/blocking and the extremely complex footwork normally associated with it? For most people the answer might be no. It's up to you, really, there's no absolute answer for this.

Anyone saying anything else has absolutely no clue of what he's talking about.

That being said, Shogun's counter only exposed Machida's lack of balls/heart (look at the bitch face he makes when he finds out he can get hit) and inferior strategic planning, and I say that being a major fan. He had never got caught with that gyaku zuki before because he had the deai perfectly figured out, used it strictly for counters and didn't fall for feints. Shogun's first perfomance and all the pressure made Machida crap his pants and do the wrong thing in every single aspect of the fight. The threat of leg kicks worked perfectly to take him out of his game and comfort zone. He circulated to the wrong direction from start to finish, gave the esgrima (sorry, don't know the english term) on the ground twice, a mistake the worst blue belt should have never made; and, finally, coming back to topic, not only did he fall for Shogun's feint (he doubly anticipated either a leg kick, based on former exhcanges, or a left -- look how he tries to grab Shogun's left with that crazy Shotokan block he uses), he telegraphed the gyaku zuki a mile away by following it after the knee. He used that combo several times.

For someone who seems fairly knowledgeable, it's pretty ignorant of you to say someone has no balls/heart.

there are always tradeoffs. a sideways stance protects your torso. it also makes for powerful rear-leg kicks. A squared stance makes it easier to strike with both arms. A squared stance also makes it easier to sprawl and harder to get single-legged. A low stance gives you a low center of gravity, for throws and takedowns, but it makes you less mobility and makes kicks and knees less effective.

This pretty much. You take a stance that lets you implement your game and that you like. With that in mind MMA is a sport all about being well rounded. So I like the way Krystoff Sosyinki (however you spell his name) stance is. Like bas ruttens. More squared so your less likely too have your lead leg scooped up. or kicked.

Back