Best stance and striking style for mma

sarniammafan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Personally i think it would be a slight mix of muay thai and karate, with tight hands up and working a gameplan of being well rounded everywhere but look to stand and setup lots of leg kicks and lots of movement to avoid enemy damage. your thoughts?

there are always tradeoffs. a sideways stance protects your torso. it also makes for powerful rear-leg kicks. A squared stance makes it easier to strike with both arms. A squared stance also makes it easier to sprawl and harder to get single-legged. A low stance gives you a low center of gravity, for throws and takedowns, but it makes you less mobility and makes kicks and knees less effective.

A mixture of two of the best strikers in MMA, Shogun and Lyoto.

Personally i think it would be a slight mix of muay thai and karate, with tight hands up and working a gameplan of being well rounded everywhere but look to stand and setup lots of leg kicks and lots of movement to avoid enemy damage. your thoughts?

You cannot kick as much in MMA so you would need to depend on your hands. Guess which art is an expertise in punching?

Sorry to hijack your thread, but while on the topic...
Which stance do you reckon would be most effective in a street fighting situation?

Yeah, you're probabky best off as a karate + muay thai guy. That's actually what Machida is. A lot of people see Machuda and think "Machida Karate!", which a lot of it is, but people usually (at least I've known) don't know that he also cross-trained in Muay Thai, if only so that he could learn how to evade Muay Thai techniques. But at the same time you don't want to limit yourself to just those tools, while at the same time not having so many tools that you have to think about them and you can use none of them effectively. My suggestion? Learn everything, but take away all the stuff that you don't think works for you and keep the stuff that does work.

P.S. Be water, my friend. (Sneaky Bruce Lee reference in the last two sentences) : )

I think there isn't such thing as "best stance/striking style" for mma. You should adapt your style to your body type and what best suits you.

Yeah, you're probabky best off as a karate + muay thai guy. That's actually what Machida is. A lot of people see Machuda and think "Machida Karate!", which a lot of it is, but people usually (at least I've known) don't know that he also cross-trained in Muay Thai, if only so that he could learn how to evade Muay Thai techniques. But at the same time you don't want to limit yourself to just those tools, while at the same time not having so many tools that you have to think about them and you can use none of them effectively. My suggestion? Learn everything, but take away all the stuff that you don't think works for you and keep the stuff that does work.

P.S. Be water, my friend. (Sneaky Bruce Lee reference in the last two sentences) : )

That's why he ended up getting knocked out. Lack of boxing.

Heh, dude, it ain't a video game. The person who teaches you the most realistic techniques, no matter the style, will help you. For example, you don't have to AVOID "enemy damage". You could block, or parry. You could be a grappler.

That's why he ended up getting knocked out. Lack of boxing.

No, he got knocked out because he threw a punch that missed, was standing in an unstable stance, took a punch that knocked him off balance, and Shogun followed him to the ground and landed strong punches that knocked him out.

Rex kwon do...

633756076274723555-RexKwonDo.jpg

I think there isn't such thing as "best stance/striking style" for mma. You should adapt your style to your body type and what best suits you.

Bingo. Different things work for different people.

There's no 'best stance' in MMA and there's no 'best stance' in boxing either. Every fighter uses what fits his mentality and physical abilities. Chuck Liddell's stance will be different to that of Randy Couture's while Mirko Crocop's will be different to that of Brock lesnar's.

Slightly modified boxing stance seams to work the best.

a slightly deeper muay thai stance

but ideally you should adjust depending on your opponent. your opponent is good at takedowns, take a deep wrestling stance. he's good at leg kicks, take a more traditional muay thai stance to check kicks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back