Best spot in Eastern Europe to train wrestling??

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by EatMyShorts, Apr 9, 2019.

1. EatMyShorts

EatMyShorts Green Belt

Not to mention - sample a little eastern european culture?

Bulgaria turns out some solid wrestlers.

Not necessarily looking to get my ass kicked - but more so train in refined and knowledgeable environment.

Dagestan - don't actually know if that's a part of europe - and would I have to get a visa to go there.

Suggestions?

2. thehighking

thehighking Black Belt

3. EatMyShorts

EatMyShorts Green Belt

Dayum.

The UFC countdown shows made it look so nice and swell - a wrestling mecha.

4. Russky

Russky Green Belt

Dagestan is in the European continent, but most likely you will need to get a visa. Check here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Russia

5. yetanother

yetanother Brown Belt

Assuming I get a remote job and move there how realistic is to learn wrestling in Dagestan as an adult? (with just BJJ experience)

6. Russky

Russky Green Belt

Nothing is impossible. You only need to learn Russian to survive there.

7. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Brown Belt

a good friend of mine told me wrestlings very hard t find in bulgaria actually it use to be amazing but now it seems like a lost art i heard they are trying to establish more clubs but lacks funding

8. Human Bass

Human Bass Black Belt

Dagestan is a bit of a shithole. I bet you can get good wrestling in Moscou or St Petersburg that are much nicer places.

9. dsdoubled

dsdoubled Brown Belt

Also, from what I've read, wrestling is very much tied in with local politics and stuff like that. I don't imagine you could just show up and buy a day pass.

10. yetanother

yetanother Brown Belt

Is it tied up more than as a way to keep youths away from extremism?

11. efficientjudo

efficientjudo Yellow Belt

Pretty much - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/18/world/europe/russia-dagestan-wrestling.html

As a whole, the culture seems very hospitable as long as you have a contact that you can be the guest of. I wouldn't be sure how friendly they are to a stranger turning up unannounced wanting to wrestle, especially if you don't speak the language / have knowledge of their culture.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    dsdoubled likes this.
  12. dsdoubled

dsdoubled Brown Belt

Yes that's a big part of it. But the area is also packed with a whole bunch of what are essentially tribes and with so much on the line as far as how much a wrestler can change their life through sports, competition gets really fierce.

Gregoire1 likes this.
  13. dsdoubled

dsdoubled Brown Belt

This seems to be key. I know that guys not from there have been allowed to train there under those conditions. Andrei Arlovski has spent a lot of time training in Dagestan, Roberto "Cyborg" Abreu has spent time there, Andy Hrovat spent a year there I believe as a guest of Besik Khudokov, Yoel Romero spent time there as a guest of Sazid Sazhidov, and Im sure many others. Also, I think Sherdog forum member Dirty Holt may be able to shed some light on this.

Gregoire1 likes this.
  14. EatMyShorts

EatMyShorts Green Belt

@Dirty Holt

15. Bullheaded

Bullheaded Green Belt

Dagestan and Chechnya.

16. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

Dagestan or Chechnya is going to be probably your worst choice. Unless you have a serious in and serious connections, that trip will not end up good for you. I roomed with Hrovat a few times overseas and we talked about him living there. The wrestling was good training, but he was friends with an all time legend in Russia. Even then, he didnt go anywhere unsupervised. With the shootings, bombings, and general hate for America in regions where laws dont mean much, the risks definitely outweigh the rewards unless you are absolute top of the food chain in the wrestling world.

The best training you are going to get in Europe is either in Hungary or Azerbaijan. The reason why is that they have huge Olympic training centers that host multiple camps per year with many teams. When you go to one of these camps or the months surrounding it, you will have 10+ countries bringing all of their guys and their top coaches. This is the reason why I have been to Hungary 7 times. The country is really nice, but having all of these top wrestlers in one spot was the reason why I always went.

The way I would always schedule my training in Europe was to look when there was a huge Golden Grand Prix or a major money tournament and then go the weeks before and after. This way I could ensure that lots of top guys would be there. Unlike a lot of guys, I never had any problems making friends and getting in with other teams. Anytime guys would come to America, I had an open door and always took care of them. Do that for a couple guys from each country and then anytime I needed training or anything when I went to Europe, they would have someone hook me up.

EatMyShorts, TheGZA and dsdoubled like this.