Best Running Shoes?

Asics
Mizuno

I have worn Asics GT series running shoes for 5 years.

whatever you do don't get new balance I ran track in high school and that piece of shit didn't last.

Go with basic adidas or nike free.

I actually read an article in Men's Health that said running in sandals was good. Apparently some crazy long distance running indians do it in the mountains of south america.

i searched all over this forum and was looking for the best shoes for sprinting, i don't do too much long distance, mainly sprinting intervals on grass, should i look for something w/ spikes? any help is greatly appreciated

You should post that question at runnersworld or something. I would guess that you very well could use spikes for sprints on grass, but you would probably need longer spikes than commonly used on a track.

Yea i just wear Adidas but what is the price range on Asics?

$50-130

You can save a lot of money buying older models.

New model Gel Kayano's sell for $100+, but you can find slightly older models for under $70.

Frees have been hit or miss. I thought they were great for practicing MA and wandering around in but they were a horrid running shoe. They were actually slated to come out in 2002. My cross country coach was approached by nike for us to do a test of them. Our top runners all got frees and within a month our coach had sent them back for being trash shoes. 3-4 years later the 5.0 came out(literally no difference). I even tried the 7.0 when they came out citing the difference in build and cushion and they still sucked horribly if you were actually going to run(no 5k or less doesn't count, even boxers run farther than that during training and they aren't "runners") I have a few friends who love them to death but then again, they weren't runners, they were just sports guys. You know, a little of everything but nothing serious. I always had high hopes for them but they just fell short for me. To bad too, they were the coolest idea I had seen in a long time. :icon_sad:

the frees are great for the gym but i agree, suck serious ass as a running shoe. My shin splints have never been worse than when i was running in Frees

I think it depends on the person's foot, stride, etc. I have tried Asics, New Balance, Saucony, and Nike. But I have gotten the best performance out of my Adidas Bounce.

search for a new balance store, if there's one near you most of them will take measurements and find the exact fit your foot needs rather than have you try on a bunch of mass produced models trying to find a good fit

i searched all over this forum and was looking for the best shoes for sprinting, i don't do too much long distance, mainly sprinting intervals on grass, should i look for something w/ spikes? any help is greatly appreciated

No, you don't need spikes. Not for sprints on grass. I guess you could use cleats but you are better off just wearing running shoes with good support. The best thing to do would be to go to a specialized store(here we have Runtex) and they will fit you according to your needs.

do not get spikes for training. they wont make you faster, and they most certainly wont help your workouts. track spikes or XC spikes are meant for competition. If your training for a competitive race then a set of spikes would be great for shaving a couple seconds off of each mile, or fractions of a second off of your sprint distances. but the firm plate and general lack of support is just begging for an injury if your wearing 'em while training. common mistake, but seriously, its a waste of cash, and a recipe for injury

I have owned 3 pair of New Balance, the 787 which is great if u are a heavier runner. The 1122 is also very very well constructed. I have put 500 miles on each and they are still goin strong.

I bought the Asics Kinsel Gel whatever that cost damn near 200 bucks.

Money well spent

I had a bone bruise or something on my insole and it was extremely painful and hard to run on.

The Asics however nullify all the pain and give me an extraordinarily comfortable run.

When it comes to running shoes, the worst thing you can do is let brand loyalty get in the way of buying the right shoe for you. The second worst thing you can do is buy a shoe based on advice over the internet. The third worst thing you can do is cheap out on the only important piece of equipment you need for running.

Go to a running store. Any of the major brands sell good shoes, but you need the ones that fit your feet the best, and give you the right support for your arches. They should look at the tread wear on your old shoes, and watch you walk or jog to see how much/little you pronate. Try on every shoe that offers the right amount of stability, and buy the one with the best fit, whatever the cost.

I have used Saucony Grid Stabil and Grid Control in the past. I wear Brooks Beasts now. I have short wide feet, and I pronate heavily.

I tried on every major brand of running shoes that have been mentioned here and Saucony consistently felt better to my feet. I have had their mid priced Trigon 4 Ride and higher priced Pro Grid Hurricane 10 shoes and they perform wonderfully. I actually look forward to running with them.
You should always try on as many shoes that are within your budges as you can. It is very important to run in shoes that support your feet properly, and every company has a different philosophy on what makes a good shoe.

the frees are great for the gym but i agree, suck serious ass as a running shoe. My shin splints have never been worse than when i was running in Frees

I have the 5.0's and the second I get a new job the first pay cheque is going to the nice runners room down the street from me. I get shin splints, pain in the soleus(below my calf,) and my archs usually cry to the point where I need to walk for a bit than run, than walk, than I just get pissed.

There is no "best" running shoe. You shoe selection should depend on your stride and pronation among other things. Try to find an athletic shoe store in your area that specializes in runners, and get them to evaluate you so you get a shoe is is suited to you.

Lots of articles here that might help you with your shoe selection-

Foot Diagnostics

There is no "best" running shoe. You shoe selection should depend on your stride and pronation among other things. Try to find an athletic shoe store in your area that specializes in runners, and get them to evaluate you so you get a shoe is is suited to you.

Lots of articles here that might help you with your shoe selection-

Foot Diagnostics

Or go to a shoe store that specializes in running. Typically, they have a treadmill with a camcorder and can do gait analysis. Also see if you have neutral, over, or under pronation.

Back