Best Running Shoes?

I rock the Brooks Radius. Fell in love with the shoe after running in cheap addias after the Brooks, and have never changed.

i use asics when im running like strait miles and i use nike protrainer elites when i am doing sprints and stuff like that

there is no such thing as THE BEST shoe, its what is best for ure foot

Truth. Go to a good shoe store. If a zit faced teenager greets you, walk out.
You want someone who is going to spend time with you setting you up with the appropriate shoe. There's all kinds of pronation / supanation issues. Expect to slap down well over $100 for a good pair of running shoes that actually fit your running style and posture issues.

It's has nothing to do with brand. It's all about the proper shoe for your body type, running style, etc..

asics and brookes are easly the two most popular brands in the distance running community. I find that they give me the most bang for my buck. in most shoes i need to replace them after just 100 or 150 miles, but in asics or brookes i can easily throw down 700-800 miles before they need to be replaced.

as far as nike goes, they dont make good running shoes. they make fantastic spikes and racing flats, but they're just starting to put more effort into their distance shoes. also, the nike frees are just injuries waiting to happen.

I prefer Brooks Adrenalines. But that's because I have slight pronation and like a cushie stride.
I just posted to another thread and highly recommend to go see a store that specializes in running shoes. Foot locker, etc, aren't that well informed.
I am a runner and can testify to a good pair of shoes and that means a good pair of shoes for YOU.
Go get your stride checked by a pro. They'll do it for free.

he's got it right. find a store that only does running gear. try on several shoes. find the pair that feels like sex on your feet, and go with that.

oh, and between asics and brookes, brookes has way better customer support. they'll replace a pair of duds (for free) in a heart beat

he's got it right. find a store that only does running gear. try on several shoes. find the pair that feels like sex on your feet, and go with that.

Exactly. You'll know when you have the right shoes.

You should get your foot checked out for length and height of your arch as well as width. Also some peoples arches require more support than others and you might need some insoles. Different brands are known to be better than others, but go to a running store and they will be able to hook you up. I wear asics and wear insoles for high arches and I am very happy.

i used to be a nike whore until i got turned onto New balance. I thnk i'll give Asic's a try..i only had them as a wrestling shoe.

don't buy running shoes based on brand.

go to a real running shoe store and the salespeople will determine what type of shoe you need based on your arch and stride pattern.

lol! nike shox and airs are NOT proper running shoes.

Vibram five fingers?

I just bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. So far they are great. It feels like like I am barefooting.

most brands dont account for huge width. unfortunately a lot of people dont know they need a wider shoe

so new balance

I have a pair of brooks and to be honest they felt heavy and clunky, the sole was n't that great either and hurt my foot. Maybe not the best pair for me..

Nike and New Balance are the most god awful running shoes ever. Nike has been built on aesthetics for years rather than function. The average pair of Nikes last 200 miles and their support lasts around 120. New balance makes an awesome walking shoe but they haven't quite figured out the running part yet so they have the same issues. Adidas are in the same boat and have very little support. Saucony is a good brand as well as Mizuno but those are higher ranked for women's feet. The number one ranked and best shoes I have ever used are Aasics. No particular one though, it really depends on your feet. If you have a pro shop somewhere, go get fitted. Don't read a magazine, the editor my supenate a ton or doesn't do much distance or sprints etc so he/she might like something completely different for all the wrong reasons.

Aasics: I used to squeeze around 700-800 miles(four months of training or so) out of my aasics before they were dead(you really should get new shoes every 300-400 miles and if you sprint sooner due to the failure of support in them). Aasics support can vary but I found that most of them lasted 400-550 miles. I also used them for sprinting, they just felt good all around and performed that ay too.

As stated before, Shox and airs are terrible running shoes. They have bad bends to them(ergonomically they don't fold the way your feet do and because of that they don't give the necessary support). Also, just in case you are confused about what running is, a cross trainer is not a running shoe and visa versa. You DO NOT lift weights in running shoes, you DO NOT do horses, suicides, etc in running shoes. They don't have the support to deal with that style of stress. Cross trainers have a flatter soul and stiffer support for that style of training. On the other hand you should never run in cross trainers, they are harder on your feet and knees when running long distances, they don't cause good form and don't fold the same way. If you are cross training and not running, then New Balance, Aasics and some nikes are really good ways to go. Shox and airs are not good trainers either. Shox are for stupid people who like to go to gyms and sit or were unfortunate enough to have to learn they are a crappy shoe the hard way. Airs can't support the weight of lifting or the shock of directional change or burst. They suck too.

Number one mens running shoe company:
Aasics
2. Mizuno

Number one women's running shoe co.:
Mizuno
2. Aasics

Coincidence?

Good luck, I hope this all helps.

Nike Shox are horrid. Do NOT go with them.

I have a pair of Nike Frees I absolutely love. I run and play ball in them, and when I'm strength training I lift in them. They feel like you're not wearing anything.

American Track and Field -- Feature Article

Frees have been hit or miss. I thought they were great for practicing MA and wandering around in but they were a horrid running shoe. They were actually slated to come out in 2002. My cross country coach was approached by nike for us to do a test of them. Our top runners all got frees and within a month our coach had sent them back for being trash shoes. 3-4 years later the 5.0 came out(literally no difference). I even tried the 7.0 when they came out citing the difference in build and cushion and they still sucked horribly if you were actually going to run(no 5k or less doesn't count, even boxers run farther than that during training and they aren't "runners") I have a few friends who love them to death but then again, they weren't runners, they were just sports guys. You know, a little of everything but nothing serious. I always had high hopes for them but they just fell short for me. To bad too, they were the coolest idea I had seen in a long time. :icon_sad:

Just checked out the vibrams. I'll have to test those out. They look awful but then again, if they work...

Just checked out the vibrams. I'll have to test those out. They look awful but then again, if they work...

I've been using Vibram 5 fingers for short runs and hikes. i stay on the ground not asphalt or concrete. On the beach they are perfect. Watch out for sharp rocks.

Asics, Saucony, Mizuno, NB are good. If you want to get speciific it'll depend on the arch of your feet.

For medium arch: Asic Gel Kayanos, hands down are the lightest and best running shoes. It'll cost you $110-120 for the latest model.

Socks are important for long distance running to avoid blisters. The moisture wick (Cool max) kind.

Back