Best Representative of Each Discipline

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Today all mixed martial arts is heavey on the "mixed."

That being said, who do you feel like has been the GOAT representative of each discipline? As in, if you were training specifically in one discipline like Greco Roman wrestling, who would you look at in MMA that best represents that discipline?

Also, I mean men/women that generally use their respective discipline. So not naming a guy that knows BJJ but only ever strikes.

Here are some all time great representatives in my mind:

BJJ: Demian Maia
Kickboxing: Mirko Cro Cop
Muay Thai: Shogun
Karate: MVP/Wonderboy
Judo: Rick Hawn
Sambo: Fedor
Greco Roman: Randy Couture

That being said, who do you feel like has been the GOAT representative of each discipline. As in, if you were training specifically in one discipline like Greco Roman wrestling, who would you look at in MMA that best represents that discipline.

Also, I mean men/women that generally use their respective discipline. So not naming a guy that knows BJJ but only ever strikes.

MVP? MVP? M. V. P?

MVP? MVP? M. V. P?

Sure, hasn't fought real comp yet, but the guy stays true as hell to his Karate background and has thus far beat the shit out of everyone he's fought, including collapsing a forehead.

Boxing: James Toney

He is the best boxer to have participated, but other people have represented the sport of boxing better by actually using the boxing they learned to win fights.

Heck, Clint Hester was more effective with his boxing than James Toney.

Professional Wrestling - Brock Lesnar

He is the best boxer to have participated, but other people have represented the sport of boxing better by actually using the boxing they learned to win fights.

Heck, Clint Hester was more effective with his boxing than James Toney.
this was just a joke. Me being a smartass.

I would actually say the Diaz bros have good boxing for mma, and JDS

Karate - Machida

Tae Kwon Do - Yair

Dirty Boxing - Cain

Eyepoking - Jon

Slapping - Diaz brothers

Does Pettis still hold the TKD title. I'm sure Yair lack of boxing keeps him out the running, and Paul Felder isn't as flashy but still follows style.

Wrestling askren/cejudo/cormier
Karate wonderboy
Greco Roman hendo/handy/bones
Tkd Pettis bros
Muay Thai overeem
Judo dhk
Boxing Bisping

Shogun for Muay Thai? I like him, but I can't agree. I would say Cerrone, maybe Means. Someone who actually has a good clinch game and solid technique and fundamentals. Every time Shogun throws a punch, it looks... horrible lol

Shogun for Muay Thai? I like him, but I can't agree. I would say Cerrone, maybe Means. Someone who actually has a good clinch game and solid technique and fundamentals. Every time Shogun throws a punch, it looks... horrible lol

The issue really is that Shogun's brand of MT is the Brazilian one adapted for MMA with more in the way of big looping punches and faster movement.

For more conventional MT perhaps Overeem? certainly I think he has the best clinch work.

no one arguing against Maia for BJJ?!????

BJJ: Maia
Boxing: Rampage, Penn, Conor
Kickboxing: Overeem
Muay Thai: Barboza, Overeem, Aldo
Karate: Wonderboi, Lyoto
Judo: Ronda, Lombard
Sambo: Fedor, Khabib
Greco Roman: Jones, DC, Romero, Randy
Freestyle: Romero, Brock, DC, Cejudo
TKD: Pettis

That being said, who do you feel like has been the GOAT representative of each discipline? As in, if you were training specifically in one discipline like Greco Roman wrestling, who would you look at in MMA that best represents that discipline?

Greco Roman: Randy Couture

Best as in truest to their original art form and not adapted to MMA?

For MT, it's not Shogun. I'd argue Matt Brown looks closer to an MT guy than Shogun.

For MMA MT, probably someone like this guy...probably because he is a multiple time Lumpinee Stadium champion fighting in MMA:

Matt Brown has nice clinch work...sweeps and trips I can't remember seeing Shogun ever use.

Back