Best Pure Grappler?

loquacious

White Belt
Reaction score
Rate Em'
Top 5
Any organization (NAGA, Abu Dabi(sp?), UFC, Pride, etc.)

t9hcao.jpg

Roger Gracie
Demian Maia
Jacare
Robert Drysdale
Marcelo Garcia

honorable mentions : Saul and Xande Ribeiro

Great first response.

In all seriousness, are you talking bjj? Submission grappling? Best in any grappling style? Most well rounded? What exactly are you asking? For example, Buvaisar Saitiev is undoubtedly one of the best grapplers of the last 20 years, but he is exclusively a wrestler. Would he count?

Bean won by keylock.

A work, in my opinion.

I just watched it. Butterbean could barely get his arm through the lock in the figure four. It looked so weird. His forearm was so short and his arm was so big. Butterbean is like the anti-grappler.

Strange match for sure.

Rate Em'
Top 5
Any organization (NAGA, Abu Dabi(sp?), UFC, Pride, etc.)

Define the criteria of being a pure grappler. What skill set are you removing that you don't consider to be "pure".

also, its kind of funny that you listed Naga. Lol.

I'm sure this list is debatable and I'll feel different about it tomorrow. Man fuck it I just wanna delete this post. I hate making posts ranking people that I'll never be anywhere close to.

EDIT: I did

Last edited:
In terms of purely who has won the most high level comps
*Greco - Karelin (12 world level Golds & 12 European Golds)
*FS (Male) - Medved (10 world level Golds & 3 European Golds) over Satiev (9 World Level golds & 6 European Golds)
*FS (Female) - Saori Yoshida (10 world level Golds)
*Judo (Male) - Douillet (6 World Level Golds)
*Judo (female) - Tani (9 World Level Golds)
*BJJ Gi (Male) - Roger (10 Mundial Black Belt Golds)
*BJJ Gi (Female) - Hannete Quadros/Staack (6 Golds) or Bianca Barreto/Andrade (6 Golds)
*BJJ NoGi (Male) - Arona (4 ADCC Golds) or Kerr (4 ADCC Golds) or Sperry (4 ADCC Golds)
*BJJ NoGi (Female) - Hannete Quadros/Staack (3 Golds)

Back