Best Protein Drink?

STILL LIFE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At first, a lot of people told me myoplex. I tried it for about 2 weeks with very intense workouts and it never worked. Muscle Milk worked pretty good for a while though. What is your favorite in terms of growth, performance, etc?

I've been on/off muscle milk for the past 3 months. I love it. I was on Nitrotech before and thought it blew ass. The past month or so I've been on Creatin monohydrate and mucle milk and its given me a little more bulk in my chest.

myoplex is a meal replacement drink, not a post workout protein shake

myoplex mrp????? um ok...go to www.proteinfactory.com they make your protein you pick what you want in it or you can buy the mixs they have already they have mixs for everything mrps,weight gain, weight loss you buy it by the pound so what i did was buy different pounds of stuff until i found the one that worked for me what has helped me the most is they have a night time formula mostly casein and i add carbogens to it and mix it with flax seed oil each night before bed and that has helped me keep from over eating and some mrp throughout the day and whey protein after workouts or training and it has been really good for me to stay leaner and still have energy but find your mix and what you need to make you run the best and dont be afraid to change it up your body likes change....

Freestyler said:
I've been on/off muscle milk for the past 3 months. I love it. I was on Nitrotech before and thought it blew ass. The past month or so I've been on Creatin monohydrate and mucle milk and its given me a little more bulk in my chest.

Yeah, i took cell-tech a while back and it really sucked. Didn't do shit except fill me up with sugar. I think that that product line is a scam, cause i also tried their imitation of NO2 "pump-tech" for $80 and didn't do anything at all either. I'm a sucker for supplements.

everyone at my school keeps talkin bout No2 this and that. I frankly have loved the results from muscle tech...I've put some monohydrate in every couple weeks or so. It hasnt done much more but put couple more pounds on me. But i went from some lazy ass decent shaped(genetics) kid to now the best shape ive ever been in. I give 90% to me actually working out, training hard, and pushing myself at hockey. 10% to muscle milk for lil extra size it put on me :wink: .

Yeah, Muscletech products didn't work for me. Probably just my body chemistry or whatever. I am looking for a supplement in general just to boost the shit out of my mass. I'm good where i'm at but 10 more pounds of muscle would be a plus.

Kind of weird, straight whey doesn't do anything for me either. And I know a lot of people that live by it's results.

Freestyler said:

Muscle Milk does have a wonderful flavor, and it can be a great product for packing in some extra kCal for hardgainers. However, I have a hard time calling anything a "protein shake" that is not principally protein. [For those that do not know, Muscle Milk is a protein base that is fortified with a lot of healthful and semi-healthful fats.]

As far as a bare-bones protein supplement, I have used Biotest's Grow! protein blend for a little over four years. It is an MRP, meaning that it has some added micronutrients. There is a regular version (25g of carbs) and a low-carb version (<5g carbs). I prefer the low-carb version, as it is not as thick. It is whey/casein blend.

Terumo said:
Muscle Milk does have a wonderful flavor, and it can be a great product for packing in some extra kCal for hardgainers. However, I have a hard time calling anything a "protein shake" that is not principally protein. [For those that do not know, Muscle Milk is a protein base that is fortified with a lot of healthful and semi-healthful fats.]

As far as a bare-bones protein supplement, I have used Biotest's Grow! protein blend for a little over four years. It is an MRP, meaning that it has some added micronutrients. There is a regular version (25g of carbs) and a low-carb version (<5g carbs). I prefer the low-carb version, as it is not as thick. It is whey/casein blend.

Is the casein hydrolyzed? Otherwise, I wouldn't want it in my post-workout formula.

Madmick said:
Is the casein hydrolyzed? Otherwise, I wouldn't want it in my post-workout formula.

No, it is actually micellar casein, which in terms of absorption rate, would be on the opposite end of the spectrum of a hydrolysate. Muscle Milk makes for a very poor PWO choice. The best application is probably as a late-night protein infusion. That, or it is good at any time for the chronically skinny, as it packs in some decent calories.

Aside: I actually gave Muscle Milk and Biotest's Grow! MRP to my grandmother to use when she was on the verge of death (not eating). That was ten years ago, and to this day, she swears it saved her life. I would credit this due to the fact that (1) it tasted decent enough that she could drink it, (2) it packs a ton of calories into a small volume, and (3) it contains nutrients that take a long while to assimilate, thus not bombarding the body with insulin and amino pool flux. This isn't a Muscle Milk plug, as I don't particularly like CytoSport. I find many of their claims to be poorly justified, and I don't think Muscle Milk is the god of protein powders. However, it is yummy and packs a lot of calories without a bunch of high-gly carbs.

Chad Hamilton said:
Anything Isolate

And as an addition to the previous post, let me x2 this comment. Whey isolates, or even more preferrably, whey hydrolysates make for the best PWO choices. Be warned, however, that unless a manufacturer is very anal about the flavoring of the protein, hydrolysates are going to be downright disgusting. I know, I know... "Taste doesn't matter..." It doesn't matter for the first month, but no one will want to continuously take a product (for years) that has to be chugged while holding one's nose.

Terumo said:
No, it is actually micellar casein, which in terms of absorption rate, would be on the opposite end of the spectrum of a hydrolysate. Muscle Milk makes for a very poor PWO choice. The best application is probably as a late-night protein infusion. That, or it is good at any time for the chronically skinny, as it packs in some decent calories.

Aside: I actually gave Muscle Milk and Biotest's Grow! MRP to my grandmother to use when she was on the verge of death (not eating). That was ten years ago, and to this day, she swears it saved her life. I would credit this due to the fact that (1) it tasted decent enough that she could drink it, (2) it packs a ton of calories into a small volume, and (3) it contains nutrients that take a long while to assimilate, thus not bombarding the body with insulin and amino pool flux. This isn't a Muscle Milk plug, as I don't particularly like CytoSport. I find many of their claims to be poorly justified, and I don't think Muscle Milk is the god of protein powders. However, it is yummy and packs a lot of calories without a bunch of high-gly carbs.

When I took Muscle milk It made me muscular larger. But the fat's that it consist of put more fat around my waist area (even with cardio). What i'm looking for is something that will add the most muscle as possible with an intense workout.

I searched for biotest grow on Bodybuilding.com and they said it's discontinued. What would be your second favorite in terms of adding muscle mass?

Terumo said:

Hey, Kabuki, wasn't this a point we argued over? I understand your position on MCT's, but if they're also putting Micellar Casein in there (I missed that), I doubt they'd intended it for PW.

STILL LIFE said:
When I took Muscle milk It made me muscular larger. But the fat's that it consist of put more fat around my waist area (even with cardio). What i'm looking for is something that will add the most muscle as possible with an intense workout.

I searched for biotest grow on Bodybuilding.com and they said it's discontinued. What would be your second favorite in terms of adding muscle mass?

Customize, man. The only way to go. It's like an addiction for me, now, trying to design the perfect formula.

I know you're after lean gain, but are you looking for a post-workout shake or an MRP?

great taste >>>
4MAM4.jpg

per serving

485 cal.
protein 25
carbohydrates 76
mct fat 9

STILL LIFE said:

Sounds like you are an "endomorph," as much as I hate that terminology. In other words, are you the type to easily put on fat? If so, Muscle Milk is probably not the thing for you. Stick with a simple protein powder, and use fish/flax/hemp oils for your w3 acids.

You can still order Biotest's Grow!, just not through vendors. They have started doing direct sales on a good number of their products, which has caused a pretty nice drop in prices. If you are looking to order, I would highly recommend you get the Low-Carb version. It is easier to mix and more versatile. Go with chocolate or vanilla. (The vanilla is surprisingly good--it's the only low-carb, low-fat vanilla I've ever had that was palatable in water.) The strawberry was a big disappointment--sort of like a rancid version of Frankenberry cereal. Then again, I've never had a strawberry that I liked other than MyoPlex. The two new flavors (orange and banana) are just okay.

Here is the link where you can order it, if you are interested:

http://www.t-nation.com/category.js...6495DF9E26C9E3F8.hydra?categoryID=34&pageNo=1

One last thing...

This protein powder is a combination of WPC, WPI, and micellar casein. Hence, it is meant to be an all-purpose protein rather than a specific PWO or night-time drink. If you need recommendations for those two specific applications, let me know.

Back