Best Places to Train in the LA area?

peidro223

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, there's the obvious 10th Planet, Gokor and the Hayastan guys, and Cobrinho's school.
To me it seems like Cobrinho's would be the easy choice but am I leaving anyone out? Does anyone know anything about his gym or who they've produced?
Thanks

As far as I can tell, there's the obvious 10th Planet, Gokor and the Hayastan guys, and Cobrinho's school.
To me it seems like Cobrinho's would be the easy choice but am I leaving anyone out? Does anyone know anything about his gym or who they've produced?
Thanks

LA is a big place and the traffic can be horrendous, so it's tough to ignore location in the choice of a school. Where are you located/ how much time are you prepared to spend commuting to a school?

Cobrinha's instruction is second to none and he has a fantastic attitude. In that regard, it's an easy choice, yes. However, you're lucky to live in a city in which the density of high-quality schools is high. What are your goals?

Last edited:
I'd train at Gokor's. They all look like the avengers.

That's all north la? Is north ridge even considered la?

It seems criminal to mention gokors and 10P HQ but not Xande and Five Star

Shawn Williams school

Shawn Williams teaches at:

Five Star Martial Arts/ Renzo Gracie Los Angeles
4201 Wilshire Blvd. #236
Los Angeles, CA 90010

Xande bjj, best in the world. Melrose at la brea. Drop in anytime and come check us out.

I run some of the drilling classes at Xande's. Come visit us. Location is a big priority in selecting a school in LA.

thanks for all the replies guys. I forgot to mention Xande and had no idea about Shawn Williams. As for the location thing, my choice of where I move to LA will be based on what school I want to train at so location is not an issue.
As for my goals I want to compete first and foremost. I prefer NoGi but would be willing to train in the gi for a high level Gi school.
Who caters the most to NoGi out of those ooptions? (other than 10th planet obviously)

You haven't even mentioned why you want to train and what you are looking for.

If you want to enter competitions, Cobrinha's is probably the most competition-focused school out there right now, gi or nogi.

Xande bjj, best in the world. Melrose at la brea. Drop in anytime and come check us out.

Does Xande's have showers? My work is moving to the la brea area soon but it's a long way from home.

Like I said before, I want to compete in NoGi but am open to Gi if I really need to.

Ya like the thread says, that's who Im leaning towards but Im also curious as to how well his guys do in competition.

I think it's probably fair to say we're if not the best, than one of the best competition schools in la. Tons of medalists at worlds/pans/no gi worlds at every belt level.

if you want to know the best place i can tell you that:

Instructor Jean Jacques Machado only Red and black belt in the area and he has many blackbelt world champs. price is high but it is worth the price.

Does Xande's have showers? My work is moving to the la brea area soon but it's a long way from home.

Yup. Full locker room and shower. More than a few dudes shower and head to work afterwards.

Back