Best place for me to buy suits

Tamriel Terror

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Alrighty, I'm in my senior year at college getting my finance degree so its about damn time i buy some suits, keep in mind im not looking to spend a massive amount on them, and also im rather slim, so i really like slim fit and modern fits, so what stores do you fellow sherdoggers recommend? Jos. A. Banks? Mens Warehouse? Jos. A. Banks has a deal right now where if you buy one, you get two free, but any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you're going to be wearing them every day, buy a couple at Joseph a bank or men's wearhouse. Get one nicer suit too, brooks brothers for starters. If you only need one right now for interviews, get the nicer one first, fill out your wardrobe according to need once you've landed your job.

Men's Wearhouse is good when they have big sales. You can get a few decent to good suits at a decent price.

The Jos deal sounds good. 3 suits should serve you well as a recent grad. You can slowly upgrade a suit at a time if the need be, but you may never have to.

Tailor made is best.
You are a finance grad, unfortunately you will need it.
Sooner or later.

i actually like wearing suits.

You don't need the greatest fabrics or the fanciest tailors to begin with. You could do it on a healthy budget.

I've been working in the finance industry for almost a decade and unfortunately minor details in appearances get noticed. I wish I could work in shorts and crocs, but it isn't that way.

Get yourself some nice suits. If you have a very common body form/type you will be able to find some generics that will fit good. However nothing beats custom made. It is just a different feel.

I have a couple of suits from Brooks Brothers. Reasonably priced for what you get IMO. But in my experience the real difference is the tailoring. I go to an Asian guy a couple miles from me that is a bit of local celebrity. He's high as I've paid $75 to $85 to fit just a jacket, but it was well worth it.

You don't need the greatest fabrics or the fanciest tailors to begin with. You could do it on a healthy budget.

I've been working in the finance industry for almost a decade and unfortunately minor details in appearances get noticed. I wish I could work in shorts and crocs, but it isn't that way.

Get yourself some nice suits. If you have a very common body form/type you will be able to find some generics that will fit good. However nothing beats custom made. It is just a different feel.
this is gonna sound pretty damn bad, but i have no idea where to start on custom suits lmao

this is gonna sound pretty damn bad, but i have no idea where to start on custom suits lmao

Its not bad. Everyone starts from scratch. What I would recommend you is to get a couple of generic suits but have just one tailor made so you don't spend much, since you are just graduating. Use the tailor made for interviews, networking events, etc.

First thing is the fabric. You need some good fabric. The tailors usually sell them at their own shop but I reckon they do sell them at a higher price and it would be better for you to get it in a fabric dedicated store.

Locate a mega textile store that focuses on selling fabric, you'll get it cheaper there and just bring it to the tailor.

You will need roughly 3.5 - 4 yards (depending on your size) for a suit and ask the people at the store to guide you through it. They should be friendly and helpful. You don't have to go for the italian fancy shit... You can get some good fabric in other options. Just make sure to touch and feel the fabric before buying it, make sure you like how it feels. Feel the texture, the grip, the materials.

Once you have your 3.5 - 4 yards you have to do research on good affordable tailors around your area. Unfortunately its still mostly word of mouth but once you locate a tailor make sure, very sure that he/she is very current with the modern trends. This is crucial, you cannot be wearing some 80s looking crap, even if its good fabric.

Last edited:
If you are buying a suit to impress, get it tailored. People who know suits can tell, and unfortunately it DOES matter.

Hands down, Nordstroms is a GREAT place to get a suit-

I like Macy's. I got a Calvin Klein suit for $300 after using a coupon.

I like Macy's. I got a Calvin Klein suit for $300 after using a coupon.

I came to say Macys too. The good thing with Macys is they dont have just ONE brand like "Brooks Brothers" they carry many brands, Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Hugo Boss, and if you are lucky they will have a sale on one of those brands the day you go, hell one of them will fit good on you and you will like

Thats if you are looking to save money and buy something decent. If you have the money I would also say to get one tailor made and as somebody already mentioned make sure the guy who does it knows how to cut modern styles, not 80s type of cuts. Good luck

Your first suit will be charcoal grey. It is the most versatile and multipurpose colour for suit there is.

Try styleforum.com for some recommendations in your area. I get mine from Hong Kong. I'm kind of forced to go bespoke because off the rack doesn't fit me.

Your first suit will be charcoal grey. It is the most versatile and multipurpose colour for suit there is.

Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. For versatility, get this:

61l6GKb8swL._UL1008_.jpg

I never seem to be amazed that people truly believe they are buying one and getting two free. In fact, you are buying 3 suits for what they are actually worth.

It's a marketing scheme to sell more suits.

Back