Best Picture & Best International Picture

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's the point of having a Best International Picture award if international movies are also eligible for Best Picture? Seems redundant. Especially when the same movie ends up winning both.

Agreed. They should get rid of the best international film award and nominate more foreign films for best picture.

In college football, the top positional players win awards e.g Butkus Award for Linebackers, Rimington Award for Centers, Doak Walker Award for running backs, and the Davey O Brien award for QBs. But one of those guys can also win the Heisman Trophy. Same goes with the Oscars.

Agreed. They should get rid of the best international film award and nominate more foreign films for best picture.
One of the main reasons why they need a separate category for best foreign film is because of the Academy's rules about qualifying for a Best Picture nomination, primarily these:

• Must open in a commercial theater, for paid admission, in Los Angeles County between January 1 and midnight December 31, and run for seven consecutive days, at least three screenings daily (one of which needs to be between 6 PM and 10 PM)
  • Be sufficiently advertised in Los Angeles media
  • Films that receive their first public exhibition or distribution in any manner other than as a theatrical motion picture release are not eligible for Academy Awards in any category

Cannes doesn't have such arbitrary rules so they screen a broader range of movies. And that's why the Palme d'Or is a better indicator of a film's quality than the Best Picture Oscar.

Liberals in Hollywood kowtowing to foreigners so they're not looked upon as racists. The Korean movie Parasite was excellent. But needs to choose which category the film should be entered. @HI SCOTT NEWMAN

Liberals in Hollywood kowtowing to foreigners so they're not looked upon as racists. The Korean movie Parasite was excellent. But needs to choose which category the film should be entered. @HI SCOTT NEWMAN
So which foreigners were they kowtowing to when they awarded Green Book, Shape of Water, The King's Speech, Spotlight and Birdman? Your woke narratives crumble with any passing glance of the recent winners list.

So which foreigners were they kowtowing to when they awarded Green Book, Shape of Water, The King's Speech, Spotlight and Birdman? Your woke narratives crumble with any passing glance of the recent winners list.

Chinese and Korean producers and production companies are dumping cash into Hollywood to get a piece of the pie.

Chinese and Korean producers and production companies are dumping cash into Hollywood to get a piece of the pie.
Except there's literally zero Chinese movies in contention. And Parasite was the first ever for an Asian film. I showed you the evidence that the Best Picture award isn't actually "woke" based on previous winners. Are you predicting that a Chinese movie will win an Oscar soon? Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

Except there's literally zero Chinese movies in contention. And Parasite was the first ever for an Asian film. I showed you the evidence that the Best Picture award isn't actually "woke" based on previous winners. Are you predicting that a Chinese movie will win an Oscar soon? Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

Parasite winning Best Picture just opened the Pandora's box. Giving hope to foreign filmmakers that Hollywood is more accepting now more than ever. I would've given my vote to The Irishman but I loved Parasite just as much.

if a foreign language film is nominated for BP i do think it should be ineligible for Best Foreign Language Feature to give another country’s entry a shot at winning an Oscar. but the academy is dumb & has dumb rules. maybe after Parasite, they will now change those rules & eligibility standards. not gonna hold my breath though.

I don't see a problem with it. It's not every year a Foreign Film is nominated for best picture.

Lets get rid of best animation since a few of them were able to make it in the best picture nomination

Why should animated films be nominated for Best Picture when they only cater to kids and man children?

Lets get rid of best animation since a few of them were able to make it in the best picture nomination

Why should animated films be nominated for Best Picture when they only cater to kids and man children?

I do think they should keep live action and animated movies as separate categories, if only because the Best Picture category will get way too big if we use it as a dumping ground for everything. Also, if international movies were only eligible for Best International Film, then that category would gain prestige, as right now it's clearly an inferior award to Best Picture since an international movie can win both currently as was just seen with Parasite. Best International Film would be just about as prestigious as Best Picture if they kept international movies within that category and not eligible for Best Picture.

One of the main reasons why they need a separate category for best foreign film is because of the Academy's rules about qualifying for a Best Picture nomination, primarily these:

• Must open in a commercial theater, for paid admission, in Los Angeles County between January 1 and midnight December 31, and run for seven consecutive days, at least three screenings daily (one of which needs to be between 6 PM and 10 PM)
  • Be sufficiently advertised in Los Angeles media
  • Films that receive their first public exhibition or distribution in any manner other than as a theatrical motion picture release are not eligible for Academy Awards in any category

Cannes doesn't have such arbitrary rules so they screen a broader range of movies. And that's why the Palme d'Or is a better indicator of a film's quality than the Best Picture Oscar.

Even by those standards though I would imagine there are still quite a high number of foreign films which would qualify.

Probably the most fundamental difference between the two awards is that Cannes has a panel of judges(changes each year, includes a lot of acclaimed directors) who watch all of the films selected to compete(normally 20ish these days) were as the Oscars just depend on the votes of Academy members who need not have watched anything.

I think Parasite winning is a bit deceptive when it comes to the idea of the Oscars paying attention to foreign cinema though. On the face of it the film seems very S Korean in nature but when you look at the directors previous career you see his last two films were actually Hollywood funded productions that included mostly Hollywood actors. He's someone who has the connections to the Hollywood establishment needed to build interest in his work.

I think Parasite winning is a bit deceptive when it comes to the idea of the Oscars paying attention to foreign cinema though. On the face of it the film seems very S Korean in nature but when you look at the directors previous career you see his last two films were actually Hollywood funded productions that included mostly Hollywood actors. He's someone who has the connections to the Hollywood establishment needed to build interest in his work.
Good point about Bong's western ties, and why that is the only reason this particular movie was on the radar for American awards. However, Parasite really was superior in every way to Snowpiercer and Okja (were there others you were referring to?). I thought they were entertaining diversions at best, but hardly worthy of accolades. He seems to have ascended to another tier.

He's already signed on to several American projects, so expect to see more of him soon- including an HBO adaptation of Parasite starring Mark Ruffalo. From what I can tell, it's not a reboot in English but rather an exploration of similar themes.

Back