1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Best option for heavy bag

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by kjos8035, Jul 26, 2010.

1. kjos8035 White Belt

Hello guys,

I'm currently searching for a heavy bag to put in my new apartment and need some advice. I have read a few different discussions that said absolutely do not go with a free standing (wavemaster or the like), but I'm curious to know if it would work well enough just to get my conditioning and endurance training in (mostly kickboxing). I have also looked at different stand options for bags, but none of them seem to be heavy duty enough to hold more than a 100lb bag.

Am I better off with a stand and a lighter bag, or a freestanding bag filled with sand and water (I've heard the base can go upwards of 300lbs?). I'm more concerned with just being able to bang daily than being able to do absolutely everything with it, as I know I will sacrifice something one way or another having to deal with being in an apartment.

Thanks

2. roundkick Yellow Belt

Buying a bag stand can be a pain in the ass and expensive. Build ont out of 4x4s and make it like a swing set frame. I built one for outdoor use once upon a time, but it was logs. Should work fine for indoor. It will just look weird inside.
    [​IMG]

3. Rado Blue Belt

Yeah, this type of set up works fine, at least for outdoors. A buddy of mine had his bag hanging that way.

4. ASEGSEA Guest

I think that setup would be sweet in someone's apt

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2010
  5. kjos8035 White Belt

How large would the thing have to be to hold a hundred some pound bag?

Thanks for the input btw.

6. roundkick Yellow Belt

A 4x4 should be fine to hold a 100lb bag. If not try ti reinforce the top with some drilled angle iron or some bedrails.

7. kjos8035 White Belt

Right... how large would the frame have to be?