Best option besides double leg takedown?

Clinch_Shots

Hit it
Reaction score
I have a bad right knee and no insurance to get it checked out it doesn't bother me too much but it effect my double leg takedown and shots tremendously.

I can still grapple / submit / etc. even when I am partially injured, and it's just a small one IMo seeing that it only hurts when I try completly bend it back to touch my leg.

without pulling guard what is the best takedown for someone to use thats easy/effective and not a single or double?

right now for me all I shoot is singles because it seems feasable for me to power drag someone down with leverage

which one would be the easy effective one ?

honestly I don't want to tell my instructor I'm hurt because I'm entered in a tourney next month it's kinda a pride / suck it up thing

Bodylock slams would be considerably painless to your knee... just a guess...

Pummel for underhooks, body lock, outside trip.

You can also get a judo-style double without dropping to the knees.

Also, do you know any judo? I can think of a number of judo throws that translate well to no gi, but I won't suggest them if you haven't learned them.

ogoshi.gif

tomonage.gif

scr_20007181a_hr.jpg

Fight for those underhooks, then the sky is the limit :D

EDIT: Like SuperSuperRambo said Judo takedowns would be most applicable for you. Ask your instructor if he knows any throws/sweeps, most don't require bending or heavy usage of the knees.

thanks for the advice, I am sure pummeling will be less on my body than a overdone single leg

I know some judo and this is a gi tourney

I am going to try working my underhooks more, once again thanks for the advice

also if anyone knows

does having a bad knee on one side affect how easy it is to get reversed from mount I can hold someone in side control all day but when I go to mount I get spun easy if they attack my based arms.

maybe I just suck from mount / white belt noob

In competition, your opponent doesn't get points for reversing you from mount, but you still get 4 points for achieving it, so it's still in your interests to go for mount if you can.

thanks for the advice, I am sure pummeling will be less on my body than a overdone single leg

I know some judo and this is a gi tourney

I am going to try working my underhooks more, once again thanks for the advice

double underhooks in the Gi doesn't happen that often(hard), try trips but from a regular grip, hand fight for a grip and pull push any thing to get him abit of balance

When in doubt, I just go for an arm-in bodylock to tani otoshi. Easiest and most effective takedown I know.

nice man, good luck to you brother.

below is someone else talking about why they love the 2 on 1, which is the same reason I love it. It's the only tie I can think of that puts you in such a superior position over your opponent.

"Once you get the grip, your opponent is almost completely on the defense. This tie-up is way better the a wrestler collar tie, over-under grip, or standard sleeve and lapel grip on gi. All of those are basically 50/50 with you and your opponent battling to see who is faster"

"Getting the 2-on-1 is not that hard. I put the left side of my neck out there in no-gi and 90% of people I go against grab my neck for a collar tie, I shrug and turn, locking in the 2-on-1. In Gi I guard one side of my lapel and let that sucker grab the other lapel. Again, turn and grab 2-on-1. It doesn't matter that much if he is still holding the lapel because there are plenty of take downs from there"

Ode to the Russian 2 on 1 Grip | LOCKFLOW.COM

^^ bump

there are some takedowns from a russian 2 on 1 as well. also i think it's a mistake not to tell your instructor you are hurt, he may be able to help tailor your game in other areas for your tourney. who knows, they may even be areas you need to improve on anyway, so in the long run you will become more well rounded. just my .02.

well we did no gi yesterday and I can shoot a double leading with my left lef but not right

pummeling for hooks worked really well and the takedowns once I had full body control were effortless

and at some point and time I think most people are injured / semi injured in the sport, i just appreciate the pointers, I would let my instructor know but I have this (he's going to think I'm a whiner complexes)

because we have two guys in my gym who rarely show upand are always hurt on different parts of their body, I don't want to be like them because I really like BJJ and competetions

You can try a snatch single. You dont have to go down on your knee. You just have to get good at finishing them because you end up holding your opponents leg in the air a lot.

Back