Best Olympian?

Cormier is a nobody close to Cejudo, Yoel and even Askren is more accomplished. He get to the Olympics, but won nothing. Doesn't make sense compare him to these and other much better than him. No one really cares about being capitain or similar, wins as an athlete are what have the real importance and he won nothing.

Maybe you should have read the post I responded to. I corrected the guy that spoke out his ass.

I don't watch olympics but as far as overall wrestling Yoel.

His wrestling background is absurdly good. Beat Cael Sanderson multiple times.
He and Carl both traded wins. I believe they're 2-2 with Cael winning at the Olympics both times.

Who is the best Olympian in the UFC? I'd say it is a bit close with Henry and DC. Yoel is a beast and I think he beat Whittaker the second time but he is not a champion yet.
If Henry wins the 135 title do you think it changes?
Inb4 Ronda.
It's DC and it's not even close. Yet. Cejudo is number 2 currently.

I don't know about TKD, but there's more money in boxing than in MMA, so it'd be odd for an Olympic boxer to go into MMA rather than boxing. Why learn new skills (grappling) just to take a pay cut?
Maybe they weren't good enough boxer to be competitive there or maybe try both? Ray Mercer won gold in the Olympics and had 1 MMA fight. Floyd Mayweather won bronze and had 1 MMA fight too. I just find it surprising that so few have even attempted it. I can't find ANY taekwondo fighters who have. Even non combat sports athletes have tried it, May Ooi was a swimmer, Giant Silva played basketball, Hershel Walker did bobslead, and Szymon Kolecki was a weightlifter but no TKD and very few boxers.

Last edited:
Maybe they weren't good enough boxer to be competitive there or maybe try both? Ray Mercer won gold in the Olympics and had 1 MMA fight. Floyd Mayweather won bronze and had 1 MMA fight too. I just find it surprising that so few have even attempted it. I can't find ANY taekwondo fighters who have. Even non combat sports athletes have tried it, May Ooi was a swimmer, Giant Silva played basketball, Hershel Walker did bobslead, and Szymon Kolecki was a weightlifter but no TKD and very few boxers.

The no TKD is strange, unless there's some big money in TKD that I'm unaware of. But that few boxers do it seems par for the course; it matches the few MMA fighters who try their luck in pure boxing, despite there being more financial incentive to go from MMA to boxing. Basically, if you're already making good money in one of them, why spend the years it would take to become high level in the other?

Those that do generally do it after their main career is more or less over. Toney is an example of an absolutely top level boxer who tried MMA once, but only after his boxing career was over.

On a slightly different topic, I wonder if anyone goes between rugby and American football, or between baseball and cricket. The sports are similar but not identical.

Probably Yoel but Whittaker out wrestled him with ease so Rob by default.

He and Carl both traded wins. I believe they're 2-2 with Cael winning at the Olympics both times.
Yeah but back then trading wins with Cael was wild....not many can say that, if anyone else even can say that.

i wish i could agree with you but lets be real. DC is fat and missed weight. its clearly a discipline issue and i love DC. Even when he did go he still didnt do as well as Henry so IMO Henry is still the proper answer here.
Wow, you think DC has a "discipline issue"? We can get the obvious out of the way and acknowledge that DC had to be hospitalized because of a failed weight cut at the 2008 olympics and did not compete despite being a team captain. He also suspiciously made weight against Rumble, everyone knows he cheated the system. But to say he has a "discipline issue" is ludicrous. I can say with conviction that there has never - in the history of olympic competition - been an olympic team captain who had a "discipline issue". You usually get that designation by being the MOST disciplined. It is crazy as hell that he missed weight at the olympics though, surrounded by the best doctors and nutritionists in the world. I'd love more background on that story lol.

To answer the original question: Cejudo is the best Olympian in UFC IMO

Wow, you think DC has a "discipline issue"? We can get the obvious out of the way and acknowledge that DC had to be hospitalized because of a failed weight cut at the 2008 olympics and did not compete despite being a team captain. He also suspiciously made weight against Rumble, everyone knows he cheated the system. But to say he has a "discipline issue" is ludicrous. I can say with conviction that there has never - in the history of olympic competition - been an olympic team captain who had a "discipline issue". You usually get that designation by being the MOST disciplined. It is crazy as hell that he missed weight at the olympics though, surrounded by the best doctors and nutritionists in the world. I'd love more background on that story lol.

To answer the original question: Cejudo is the best Olympian in UFC IMO

Well I’m just using facts and logic... first I’ll say I agree with you. But when your clearly carrying extra body fat that you don’t need and you admit you like to eat.. that IS a problem IMO. He could have not needed to cut so much IMO. We are splitting hairs really though. I love dc

Back