Best Non Lethal Self Defense Weapon

OldVet61

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
What would be the best concealable non lethal weapon for self defense? I live in Canada guns, mace and just about everything is illegal and I'd like to get my girlfriend something for self defense.

PAA310000035.jpg

Yes a fist is optimal for a 130 lb girl to defend herself with.

How about a kubotan? In the UK, they are illegal so I don't know about Canada but one of them jammed into your eye/neck/ribs/groin is really gonna hurt.. Even a solid mascara bottle would work..

Other than that, presumably you've trained her to be aggressive and proactive etc??
I was asked to teach a lady some self defence for realistic scenarios and my answer was I can teach you all you need to know in about 2 hours but having the mental strength to use it is a different matter.. but that's probably digressing a bit..

How about a kubotan? In the UK, they are illegal so I don't know about Canada but one of them jammed into your eye/neck/ribs/groin is really gonna hurt.. Even a solid mascara bottle would work..

Other than that, presumably you've trained her to be aggressive and proactive etc??
I was asked to teach a lady some self defence for realistic scenarios and my answer was I can teach you all you need to know in about 2 hours but having the mental strength to use it is a different matter.. but that's probably digressing a bit..

Yeah Kubotan's are legal here. I'm just wondering how effective they really are. A lot of the self defense videos I've seen involving those things look just ridiculous.

I probably would have gotten better responses if I posted this in the OT. Thanks guys.

Look for dog repellant sprays. The same thing as mace but they are not designed or marketed for use against people. You should be able to get your hands on this because runners use it to deal with agressive dogs.

I agree, some of the ninja videos out there are rubbish but as you rightly said that a 130lb woman's fist is pretty ineffectual if she's got something like a kubotan to jam into the assailant then it's a good equaliser. Of course, if you mean a weapon which will incapacitate with one use then I guess some form of repellent spay is probably best. I'm guessing that Tazers are illegal in canada??

Best: Situationally awareness, a healthy sense of paranoia and a good set of running shoes.

When that fails the pure naked agression of a pissed-off badger. The willingness to drive French-mannicured nails through a turd's eye sockets and scratch the back of their skull, grab a handfull, tear his nads asunder then go grab a curry and call the police.

Unfortunately there is no magic talisman for self defense. Every gadget, stick and gizmo requires an amount of training, commitment to regular practice and the willness to employ it to it's maximum potential at the drop of a hat to use effectly. Simple providing a device without knowledge or willingness to use it provides a false sense of security that will likely get the person into more trouble as opposed to exiting the threat area at a rapid rate while screaming like a banshee on fire.

Avoidance>evasion>escape>fight

A telescopic baton might be a good alternative. Might be illegal though.

If pepper spray (not tear gas) is legal, that is a very good option, if not, then that dog repellant spray seems like a good idea. Carrying around a can of varnish spray is also usually legal to do and gets basically the same effect as mace as well. Those spray cans are often a lot bigger than a mace or pepper spray can though, that's the downside, may take a little too much place in the handbag.
A personal alarm device (don't know the proper english term) can also be worth a look, if the laws are strict.

Yes a fist is optimal for a 130 lb girl to defend herself with.
I have seen some mean bitches take some fools out with a few well placed hits. Not knowing the laws up there I really can't help you with a weapon.

What would be the best concealable non lethal weapon for self defense? I live in Canada guns, mace and just about everything is illegal and I'd like to get my girlfriend something for self defense.

Training. You never lose it, and you can't be disarmed if your body is a weapon.

You might be getting ready to say "Oh, my GF doesn't want to train!" Well, that kinda stinks. She doesn't have to train like a maniac, or forever really; I doubt I'm as sharp as when I sparred all the time, but I still work out, I still hit the bag, I keep my all-important basics down and my aggression honed.

My wife trained like a nutter with some MMA fighters (mostly BJJ) while co-opping upstate from me for two periods totalling about a year; she did it to pass the time, distract herself, and relax the 4-5 days a week she was away from me and took a serious liking to it; I believe the word you hear on Oprah is "empowering." Her instructor would put her up against new guys-- lot of big dudes, much stronger, many of whom were law enforcement-- and she tooled them on the mat. She doesn't feel she's Superwoman, but she feels she can handle herself, and I agree totally.

Plus: BJJ is (sorry, gotta drop that knowledge! :icon_chee ) ground-based. If someone tries to mug of rape her (or both), he's gonna take her to the ground. People who teach rape defense will often teach a woman to wait till the guy has her on the ground, when he thinks he has control, and gets careless before going to work. With months of hardcore BJJ training, she will pwn the mo-fo.

Why yes, I am thrilled my wife developed an interest in MA and got good, practical, solid training, the skill to apply it, and the confidence to use it. I encouraged her for awhile, and was happy when she got it. She's already choked one asshole out...I feel better when she's out and about without me. Can't put a price tag on that peace of mind, fellas.

It's not just acquiring skill, but the mindset, which is of the utmost importance. All the guns, knives, brass knuckles, mace, chains, throwing stars, nunchucks, light sabers, or whatever ain't shit if she doesn't have the combat mindset. Most men don't, women have it less; they are generally just *NOT* socialized to be aggressive. If she falls apart, wets herself, and is cowed in the face of a threat, any weapon she has on her is just gonna either not get used or-- worse still-- taken away and maybe used on her.

Most guys who prey on chicks don't expect a fight; if she can be conditioned to thrown a couple stiff knees, elbows, push kicks, with malicious intent and then have the presence of mind to run like hell when her stunned opponent is holding his nose, nutsack or chin...she is head-and-shoulders above her peers in terms of surviving an ugly physical altercation.

A stainless steel handled, swiss army knife, preferably one with a screw driver function placed in the middle of the handle, can also be a force to be reckoned with. The handle itself serves perfectly as a "roll of quarters", when you close your fist around it, making a punch so much harder and if the shit should seriously hit the fan, there is a theoretical possibility to let the screw driver point out from between your middle and ring finger like a little push spike.

Pocket knives are usually OK to carry and make a nice gift no matter what the purpose.

And as Gregster said, the mindset is the most important thing of all, when it comes to defending yourself.

Simply the ability to be tough when you need to. To be able to turn your fear into aggression and never try to "escape" mentally and just give up, when you're faced with a frightening situation. Training martial arts is very good of course, but just to do any kind of really hard physical training is not just good for strengthening the body, but can be a good way of developing a strong will as well.

Provocateur had it right with the lead filled spring loaded sap. They have a spring to increase the hitting power (so you don't even need to wind up.) Saps are flat with a flat weight at the end, which makes KO's easier without killing people. spreads out the area of the impact.

This is a blackjack.
blackjack.jpg

It's the sap's evil brother. With a round ball at the end instead of a flat piece, it will shatter skulls and break bones with little to no effort.

Problem is, both of these weapons are so efficient, they're practically illegal everywhere. Police officers and detectives used them in the 1950's in the US with GREAT success, they recently were deemed illegal even for police to carry. INCREDIBLY effective weapon, though.

Just don't get caught with one - it's a minimum felony for owning a sap or blackjack in the US.

My dear friend Jerme once told me, a roll of life savers actually works wonders, but im not sure how much effect it will have with a small women using it...

Black jacks are illegal in Canada as well as Brass knuckles. If it was for you id advice the "Hatch defender" lead shot gloves, for your girl pepper spray or any small tactical folding knife. Cold steel mini tanto or something along those lines...

Back