Best non dairy protein?

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
I currently use vegan protein powders and it’s ok but I’d like some better for recovery.

I need something non dairy to not upset my stomach like muscle milk. The only problem I have is I’m not a big fan of artificial sweeteners like sucralose being used in these protein powders.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Or am I doomed to use vegan protein powders my whole life.
I also have the collagen protein but I’m not sure if it does anything lol

You can find dairy based powders without artificial sweeteners but you will pay a premium.

Crickets. Yes, the bug.

Or just eat food. Beef is one of the most bioavailable proteins.

I'd just go with food like these guys said.

If you really want a powder there's loads of options nowadays - hemp, egg, beef protein isolate etc.

Trust me guys I eat a lot of food. The shakes go on top of the food to maintain strength. I don’t always have a huge appetite.

I do at least 9-10 sessions a week whether it’s skill or s&c, and I fight at my natural weight class. I need to keep/improve strength and weight depending on where I’m at.

Does anyone have any brands or suggestions?

You can buy red meat protein powder

I'm with the guys recommending real food. It's not that hard to get 1g/lb of protein with regular meals. You might actually be spinning your wheels shoving vegan protein into your body out of convenience. Recent studies show that beef and eggs give you the best bang for your buck in terms of positive nitrogen balance, protein synthesis, and reduced protein breakdown when compared to plant sources. There's limitations to the study since it's not put up against various protein powders/supps but that's a whole different convo to be had. Can't really go wrong when you stick to whole animal foods to provide the raw materials for your body to recover.

https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/151/5/1190/6165015?login=true

With that in mind, you might actually need less overall protein to meet your needs if you end up sticking with sources that are superior. Plus you'll be getting a lot of vital nutrients that aren't in your supplements. If you still need powders and supplements then True Nutrition is a good choice. Highly customizable, transparent, and with very few ingredients/additives if that's what you really want. Egg and Beef protein powders on tap.

Last edited:
I currently use vegan protein powders and it’s ok but I’d like some better for recovery.

I need something non dairy to not upset my stomach like muscle milk. The only problem I have is I’m not a big fan of artificial sweeteners like sucralose being used in these protein powders.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Or am I doomed to use vegan protein powders my whole life.
I also have the collagen protein but I’m not sure if it does anything lol

Why are you assuming vegan protein powders are not good for recovery? Vegan powders have less concentration of some EAAs, but I believe that just means that you need to eat a bit more of them to make up for that. If you adjust your intake to make up for the lower concentration of leucine and other EAAs, from most of the stuff I've seen, the differences are insignificant compared to whey when it comes to things like building muscle. You can look up studies comparing rice or pea protein to whey, for example.

Protein is protein, I don't think it matters where it comes from. It's just about the amino acid content. No source is as complete as whey isolate gram for gram. Whether it's vegan doesn't really matter, especially if you’re eating other sources throughout the day.

What do you have against artificial sweeteners? I don't think there's anything too bad about them either.

The "Naked" brand does offer a bunch of powders with 0 sweeteners if that's what you want though. They sell whey, egg and vegan options.

Last edited:
Do you have an actual milk allergy? Whey isolate does not contain lactose. I'm personally sensitive to lactose and isolate, not concentrate, is fine. If it has both, it's probably garbage protein anyways.

Do you have an actual milk allergy? Whey isolate does not contain lactose. I'm personally sensitive to lactose and isolate, not concentrate, is fine. If it has both, it's probably garbage protein anyways.
Yeah I did some researching and read about this as well. Dairy definitely can give me acne but im gonna give isolate a try.

Yeah I did some researching and read about this as well. Dairy definitely can give me acne but im gonna give isolate a try.
Yeah it's worth a shot. Just make sure that isolate is the only dairy protein in whatever you buy, or you'll be getting lactose still. Protein companies love to throw in concentrate after isolate on the ingredients list because it's cheaper and they get to claim it has isolate.

As far as brands are concerned, myprotein.com always has sales and sells a good isolate
https://us.myprotein.com/sports-nut...e/10852482.html?autocomplete=searchsuggestion

Jym pro jym protein powder is all isolates and has probably the best tasting flavors out there but it's more expensive and has alot of thickening agents and added chemicals

Kaged isolate tastes good and is a decent price

ON isolate as well
I've used a billion protein powders trying to find the right one for me and those are my picks.

pea protein, or a blend of pea and hemp and rice of you have bought into the ‘incomplete’ mostlymyth. i used to add a scoop of peanut butter to my smoothie when i bought into that, as it had the ‘missing’ aa in spades.

pea protein, or a blend of pea and hemp and rice of you have bought into the ‘incomplete’ mostlymyth. i used to add a scoop of peanut butter to my smoothie when i bought into that, as it had the ‘missing’ aa in spades.
Don't you know bro... you're gonna die of protein deficiency bro... Joe Rogan and that skeletal nutritionist he has on his show said so. Do you want to wither away and die!?!

Don't you know bro... you're gonna die of protein deficiency bro... Joe Rogan and that skeletal nutritionist he has on his show said so. Do you want to wither away and die!?!
i honestly believed all of that when i went vegan. its just how we were all raised. it is set in stone. i decided id try for a month, and when i started withering and my dick stopped working id get my hunting license and start fishing again. its been seven years and all my friends and family just stopped talking about it, after years of headshaking predictions about what it would do to me. i still hear them say that you need meat when the conversationis about their own health. its so ingrained in my generation and previous ones.

i honestly believed all of that when i went vegan. its just how we were all raised. it is set in stone. i decided id try for a month, and when i started withering and my dick stopped working id get my hunting license and start fishing again. its been seven years and all my friends and family just stopped talking about it, after years of headshaking predictions about what it would do to me. i still hear them say that you need meat when the conversationis about their own health. its so ingrained in my generation and previous ones.
It has been the same length of time for me. I've been the fattest I've ever been, the skinniest, the strongest... it's no different, in my experience, than my first 25 years of life. I can just live with myself better.

It has been the same length of time for me. I've been the fattest I've ever been, the skinniest, the strongest... it's no different, in my experience, than my first 25 years of life. I can just live with myself better.
If veganism works for you guys, great. Soy kills me and I don't feel great on legumes in general. I figured this out through experimentation on aip diet. The next best option for me is to raise my own animals for meat, which I'm just starting to do, and give them the highest quality life style and the most humane death I possibly can. I love every one of them, even the jerks. Butchered my first chicken a week or so ago and it hurt my soul to do it, unlike buying meat from a store, but that rooster had a better life and easier death than animals commercially raised where their comfort and happiness takes a back seat toprofits and efficiency.

Back