best muay thai fighters in each division?

8limbscientist

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
No hate, no flaming, I just want opinions. Here I'll give you mine.

Fly weight=John Dodson
Bantam Weight=Renan Barao
Feather Weight=Jose Aldo (honorable mention to Korean Zombie)
Light Weight=Toss up (Edson Barbosa, Donald Cerrone, Anthony Pettis)
Welter Weight=Carlos Condit (honorable mention to Thiago Alvez)
Middle Weight=Anderson Silva
Light Weight=Shogun Rua
Heavy Weight=Alistair Overeem

Last edited:
Shogun was the epitome of mma muay thai for Rampage destruction and 25 minute kicking session versus Lyoto but he hasn't shown much kicks especially knees and clinchwork all but diminished. I would say Cyril Diabate has some nasty all-around muay thai technique for LHW. Vera knows his stuff but like Shogun, can't seem to showcase it consistently.

Edson Barboza is without a doubt the best Muay Thai fighter at lightweight. He has a professional Muay Thai record of 28 wins (22 KO's) and only 3 loses.

Cerrone by far at LW. Pettis has good stand up but his mt is not as pure as Cerrones.

I can understand why, Alvez has perfect leg kicks. Carlos Condit strings combos together better IMO though, agility ftw.

I can guarantee you that if Alvez and Condit were to fight in a Muay Thai fight, Alvez wins every time.

Based on technique:

HW: Overeem > Del Rosario
LHW: Diabate > Vera
MW: A. Silva > Belcher
WW: Alves > Condit
LW: Njokuami > Barbosa/Cerrone
FW: Aldo > Roop
BW: Barao

Last edited:
Based on technique:

HW: Overeem > Del Rosario
LHW: Diabate > Vera
MW: A. Silva > Belcher
WW: Alves > Condit
LW: Njokuami > Barbosa/Cerrone
FW: Aldo > Roop
BW: Barao

As far as staying true to form these are the only right answers. The OP list isn't bad as far as fighters with the most well rounded stand up in their respective divisions, but most of them do not have the best Muay Thai.

Edson Barboza is without a doubt the best Muay Thai fighter at lightweight
I wouldn't say that. Anthony Njokuani has a simliar if not better thai boxing record and is trained under muay thai legend saekson janjira.
Not only that but both of them fought last year in a standup battle and alot of people considered it a draw (Both took a round a peice in the first two but the last round was close, alot of credics had the last round a draw).

As far as staying true to form these are the only right answers. The OP list isn't bad as far as fighters with the most well rounded stand up in their respective divisions, but most of them do not have the best Muay Thai.

I don't think you give Condit or Rua the respect they deserve IMO.

Back