Best MMA Gym in New York?

Symbolistic

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I used to go to Ronin Athletics for 4 months, they're pretty good, but I see they got rid of 1 of their wrestling classes in the schedule, now they only have it for one week.

I'm looking for THE BEST MMA SCHOOL, with the following
- Muay Thai
- Boxing
- Wrestling
- BJJ
- Judo (Optional)

I want to know which you think is the best school with great teachers, I want to go somewhere where I can excel and learn fast, to become a very good fighter.
I want to be able to go frequently(5+ times a week), and a school that isn't TOO EXPENSIVE.

I am still a beginner if you're wondering.

I used to go to Ronin Athletics for 4 months, they're pretty good, but I see they got rid of 1 of their wrestling classes in the schedule, now they only have it for one week.

- Muay Thai
- Boxing
- Wrestling
- BJJ
- Judo (Optional)

I want to know which you think is the best school with great teachers, I want to go somewhere where I can excel and learn fast, to become a very good fighter.
I want to be able to go frequently(5+ times a week), and a school that isn't TOO EXPENSIVE.

Be careful what you wish for. You want the best of NY, but you don't want to spend the money for the best of NY.

Be careful what you wish for. You want the best of NY, but you don't want to spend the money for the best of NY.

Okay well scratch that, whats the best mma gym in NY, without having to worry about budget

and whats the best while worrying about budget

Why not just go try them? What you consider best and what some else does might be two completely different things.

Not a lot of places, at least in the City, have all the things in house. What's your limit as far as location? Renzo's, either in Manhattan or Brooklyn has all those types of classes in house and has a large crop of pro fighters, and UFC fighters that train there regularly. I don't know of any other places in the City that can boast all of those things. But it's also expensive.

- Muay Thai
- Boxing
- Wrestling
- BJJ
- Judo (Optional)

ok, not going to be the best place but only place in manhattan i can think of that has pretty much all those is Evolution Muay thai

I never trained here so I can't give a recommendation. But it is another place you could check out, and it might be cheaper.

http://www.roninathletics.com/

Edit: I missed the first line of your post. Otherwise I wouldn't have recommended a place you already knew about.

Last edited:

- Muay Thai
- Boxing
- Wrestling
- BJJ
- Judo (Optional)

What other schools have more than one day of pure No-Gi standup (wrestling)? Do many, if any? As a beginner you'll have enough on your plate with grappling and standup alone.

5 Points Academy has a solid Muay Thai training but recently adopted Workshop BJJ under Jin who teaches gi and no-gi plus the hidden gem is the Judo instructions under a guy who comes from the Eastern European-Russian style Judo.
In theory you could train skill sets for MMA.

Then again there's the UFC gym on Canal & Broadway.

Looking at your previous post history, it seems like you ask this question every year. I am going to guess that training is your new years resolution every year.

The best MMA gym for you is the one that you will go to consistently. Stop trying to find the "perfect" gym. If you had just stayed at Ronin, you would have 2 years of experience by now. It sucks that they dropped a wrestling class, but were you even going to it every week?

That being said, I would recommend Radical MMA, Evolution, or going back to Ronin.

looks like I need to go back to ronin...
Renzo's has almost everything I need, but from the reviews I hear, you wont get much attention at all

ok, not going to be the best place but only place in manhattan i can think of that has pretty much all those is Evolution Muay thai

Thanks for telling me about that. They seem like a perfect fit for me, I will join them.
Plus I hear they give discounts to college students

looks like I need to go back to ronin...
Renzo's has almost everything I need, but from the reviews I hear, you wont get much attention at all

IME, No one gets special personal attention at the gym until you show up all the time and work hard, or pay for privates. Its the best way to weed out the ones that have illusions of grandeur with no work ethic. If you are good and work hard, you will get attention once you pay some dues.

Excuse the bump, but I have the same question.

I visit New York City for extended periods of time several times a year, and I'd love to keep up my training, but nowhere am I able to find a legit MMA gym that offers dedicated MMA classes.

What I've encountered so far is:
* Cardio kickboxing or kung fu schools trying to market themselves as MMA schools.
* A bunch of places that offer several disciplines (often Muay Thai and BJJ), but no dedicated MMA classes.

And yes, I've been training (MT/BJJ) at Renzos before, but according to their website they no longer seem to offer MMA classes (and the ones they used to have were invite only) Does anyone know a good gym? Queens/Brooklyn preferred.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Excuse the bump, but I have the same question.

I visit New York City for extended periods of time several times a year, and I'd love to keep up my training, but nowhere am I able to find a legit MMA gym that offers dedicated MMA classes.

What I've encountered so far is:
* Cardio kickboxing or kung fu schools trying to market themselves as MMA schools.
* A bunch of places that offer several disciplines (often Muay Thai and BJJ), but no dedicated MMA classes.

And yes, I've been training (MT/BJJ) at Renzos before, but according to their website they no longer seem to offer MMA classes (and the ones they used to have were invite only) Does anyone know a good gym? Queens/Brooklyn preferred.

Thanks.
https://www.fightfactoryny.com

can you recommend a good BJJ school that is beginner-friendly? I know renzo, marcelo, vitor are all great schools but i'm just afraid since there is a lot of experienced ppl training there, the instructors won't pay too much attention to completely beginners like me. thank you!

can you recommend a good BJJ school that is beginner-friendly? I know renzo, marcelo, vitor are all great schools but i'm just afraid since there is a lot of experienced ppl training there, the instructors won't pay too much attention to completely beginners like me. thank you!

The Level 1 classes at MG are really good, and since they are almost entirely beginners, the instructors do pay attention to everyone. The academy has gotten a bit smaller over the pandemic, and the weird silver lining is more individual attention.

Being within the Renzo "family" is probably a good bet. The main academy in Manhattan and Serra-Longo's plus Serra's in Huntingdon.

The Level 1 classes at MG are really good, and since they are almost entirely beginners, the instructors do pay attention to everyone. The academy has gotten a bit smaller over the pandemic, and the weird silver lining is more individual attention.
got it! i'll check it out, thank you so much!

Back