Best mega-star collaboration

Discussion in 'Abbey Road' started by Fedorgasm, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Fedorgasm

Fedorgasm Silver Belt

Most often they come together for charitable causes, but it's pretty amazing when such talented and successful people can set their egos aside and share the lime light with their peers.

What's even more amazing is that these songs are usually recorded very quickly, because everyone's busy and so they have to record the entire thing in 1 day.

Props to the producers or organizers that pull these things off successfully.

Here are the ones I know about. Feel free to add more if I left any out.

Band-Aid:
    The song's just okay, but they get a lot of credit for being the first and proving that something like this could be pulled off.

We are the world:
    This is the gold standard IMO. Michael Jackson co-wrote the song, proving yet again that he's the most talented man on the planet. But major props go to Quincy Jones too for utilizing everyone's talents to the fullest effect, and getting the very best out of every singer. Everyone performed at their peak on this song.

Hear 'N Aid:
    This is awesome. I guess heavy metal stars were upset that none of them were invited to the "We Are the World" recording so they decided to do their own song. It's not a bad song either. They know their audience for sure, and proved it by having an insanely long and awesome guitar solo played by several top players at the time.

That's what friends are for:
    Only 4 stars for this one, but they were good ones. Gladys Knight and Dionne Warwick never sounded better. Stevie Wonder proved he could be awesome without his keyboard. I normally don't even like Elton John but have to admit he sounded pretty good here.

Voices that care:
    This song sucks. This really illustrates how difficult it is to pull off something of this magnitude and it really makes you appreciate all the ones that came before it. The song is bad and the "stars" are largely forgettable, save for a few exceptions who probably regret being a part of this abomination.

What's Going On:
    This song doesn't suck like voices that care did, but it's just kind of meh. Sang by a mixture of forgettable people and some lasting talents.

Sing:
    The song's not bad, arguably better than the last one. And there are a ton of talented and hot singers that contributed to it, but for some stupid reason they don't show any of them in the video except for Annie Lennox so it's hard to identify the contributors. At this point, I think the world has given up on these collaborations, realizing that the magic of "We Are the World" will never happen again. Sorry AIDS, no more music for you.

2. carlos cadona

carlos cadona Opinions subject to change

Metallica's song with Ja Rule is legendary.

PurpleStorm likes this.
  3. Plissken

Plissken Gold Belt

4. Jackonfire

Jackonfire Senior Modulator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Quite a diverse group of contributing musicians. From Bob Dylan to Stiv Bators to Grandmaster Melle Mel and Jackson Browne.

Steven Van Zandt, Bruce Springsteen, Miles Davis, DJ Kool Herc, Grandmaster Melle Mel, The Fat Boys, Rubén Blades, Bob Dylan, Herbie Hancock, Ringo Starr, Lou Reed, Run DMC, Peter Gabriel, U2, George Clinton, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Peter Wolf, Bonnie Raitt, Hall & Oates, David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Darlene Love, Bobby Womack, Afrika Bambaataa, Kurtis Blow, Jackson Browne Jimmy Cliff, Big Youth, Michael Monroe, Peter Garrett, Ron Carter, Ray Barretto, Gil Scott-Heron, Kashif, Nona Hendryx, Pete Townshend, Pat Benatar, Clarence Clemons, Stiv Bators and Joey Ramone.

5. ProBoxingInsidr

ProBoxingInsidr Silver Belt

for some reason i never heard of this, but fuck TS for saying the stars are mostly forgettable! you crazy? holy shit, this might be the most awesome collection of all time. i saw don king, gary busey, daisy duke, brian bosworth, kurt russell, wayne gretzky, downtown julie brown, kevin costner, cindy crawford, michael jordan, magic johnson, tommy lee jones, jon lovitz, alyssa milano, michelle pfeiffer, fred savage, katy sagal, william shatner, brooke shields, jcvd, james woods, billy dee williams and a ton of others in the choir! i assume their mics were turned off, but that is just the non-singers. that shit was lit, as you kids say

6. HughPhug

HughPhug Black Belt

Back in 1990 the greatest posse cut in Hip Hop history was made, 'We're All In The Same Gang' brought together the following rappers speaking out against gun violence.
    Ice-T
    Eazy E
    MC Ren
    Dr Dre
    MC Hammer
    Young MC
    King Tee
    Money B and Shock G of DU
    Cold 187 & KMG of ATL
    Tone Loc
    plus a few less notable names like JJ Fad, Body & Soul, Oaktown's 357

Basically Ice Cube and Eiht & Chill were the only real big players missing from the West Coast line up

There was also that time that Jim Morrison joined Jimi Hendrix on stage and proceeded to sing about anal sex for an hour

7. Plissken

Plissken Gold Belt

The song pops in my head from time to time. I can still remember the video too.

HughPhug likes this.
  8. HughPhug

HughPhug Black Belt

It's one of my favorites, the remix had a Jacking For Beats style to it which was fantastic

Reminds me I think I posted a sample source for it on Whosampled some time ago, forget what record now though